1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S2: Stuck Welcome Powering up

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by andrewc2, Dec 17, 2012.

1. andrewc2

andrewc2 New Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Picked this Series 2 TDC240040 that gets stuck on Welcome. Powering up... the hard drive was replaced by the previous owner at some point, I replaced the ribbon cable and I can hear the drive spin up at power up.

I also tried putting my old maxtor drive from my TDC24004A however that exhibited the same result. I took another drive I had and used winmfs to restore a backup (240080) but I'm guessing it can't use that backup as it didn't work either.

I'm trying to get this machine working without laying out more money than I could have purchased a working unit for.

Perhaps someone might have the proper image for this unit that I could try?

2. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    A 240080 image is going to want to restore to an 80GB hard drive, and probably one of the "fat" Maxtors TiVo used at that.

But as long as the drive is big enough for the image any 240 image should work.

As long as it's already opened up anyway, check the capacitors on the power supply board.

What's the brand and model number of the drive the previous owner put in?

3. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    I sent you a PM with an image from an original Western Digital 40GB drive. It should fit because I think the Maxtor drives were slightly larger than the WD drives. If not, try setting the swap size a little lower in WinMFS. As Unitron mentioned, the other most likely culprit is the power supply and particularly the capacitors.

4. andrewc2

andrewc2 New Member

Sep 26, 2011
    They had put in a Samsung SpinPoint V60120 120GB LBA 234493056

Thanks lillevig I'll give that image a try and check the capacitors! Thanks!

5. andrewc2

andrewc2 New Member

Sep 26, 2011
    I threw that image on a new drive, still stuck, doesn't look like there are any blown capacitors.

6. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    The capacitors wouldn't be "blown", just kind of domed on the top instead of flat. Do you have a way to check the +5 and +12 voltages under load?