1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S2 overheated, now won't display anything. Fixable?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by timckelley, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Dec 8, 2013 #1 of 45
    timckelley

timckelley TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I have a lifetimed S2 that was displaying a message about the DVR being shut down due to getting too hot.

So I unplugged it, opened it, and cleaned out the dust. It did seem like after cleaning it, the fan spins faster than it did before, so maybe the dust was slowing down the fan speed causing the overheating.

The problem is, when I try to power it on, I do hear the fan spinning, but there's no video, other than a faint white flicker that kind of scrolls down the screen. So no TiVo starting up screen or anything.

Does this mean the TiVo is dead, or might there be something else I can try?

My wife is worried about two things:

1) There are lots of shows on the HD she doesn't want to lose. I told her maybe the problem is with the motherboard, and maybe her shows can still be salvaged from the HD

2) Her To Do list has lots of stuff, that she would like to record, but right now, the TiVo no worky.

I'd love it if the TiVo can be saved, but if not, it'd be nice if my lifetime sub doesn't have to be forfeited. Years ago I lost an S1 due to motherboard problems, and I lucked out with customer service, as they let me as one-time favor, transfer my lifetime from it, to a TiVo HD. They did say "one time favor", so unlike a cat, I may not have two lives, let alone nine.

If I have to replace the TiVo, my wife did say she'd prefer an S2, and not a Premier or whatever's on the market these days, because Time Warner copyrights a heapload of her shows, preventing her from using HMO, but S2's seem to be exempt from this copywriting shenanigans.

2. Dec 8, 2013 #2 of 45
    replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I would suspect a power supply and they are easy to replace. You can probably get a similar TiVo for cheap on craigslist to take a power supply off of.

3. Dec 8, 2013 #3 of 45
    timckelley

timckelley TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I think I may still have my old S1 power supply. I wonder if its compatible with the S2. (My S2 is a single tuner model, by the way.)

4. Dec 8, 2013 #4 of 45
    timckelley

timckelley TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Austin, TX
    By the way, if the power supply is bad, does it makes sense that when I turn it on, I can still see the fan spinning?

5. Dec 8, 2013 #5 of 45
    timckelley

timckelley TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Austin, TX
    By the way, here's my single tuner S2, alongside my spare extra S1 power supply I happen to have:

[​IMG]

They don't look the same; the S2 one looks bigger, so I fear they may not be compatible.

6. Dec 8, 2013 #6 of 45
    timckelley

timckelley TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Austin, TX
    By the way, I found a fairly close by Craigslist ad for a free Tivo Series 2, 40 hr model. I wonder if all TiVo S2 power supplies are compatible. The fact that it's a 40 hr model makes me suspect it's compatible, because that sounds to me like the earlier models, which were single tuner, like mine is.

But the catch is, it's free because it doesn't work, and the owner has replaced it with a Romio. He says: "It starts the boot process, displays some of the Tivo screens, and then freezes on a screen saying "just a few minutes more." I replaced it with a Tivo Romio." He goes on to say he thinks it's a hard drive problem. If that's true, then maybe his power supply is good, and he's giving it away free, so maybe I should snag it.

It's actually the only free S2 I can find on Craigslist: the rest want money. To my good fortune, he lives not far from me. I still wonder if the power supply is even what my problem is though.

7. Dec 8, 2013 #7 of 45
    gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    Free's free, and it's local. Snag it just in case, you might need some other part off it at some future point even if the power supply doesn't fix your issue.

8. Dec 9, 2013 #8 of 45
    unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Grab it.

Chances are he has a hard drive problem and the power supply is good enough for test purposes.

Post the model number of your S2 and the model number of the other one and we'll go from there.

Do you have any experience at all with a soldering iron?

9. Dec 9, 2013 #9 of 45
    timckelley

timckelley TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Well I have model number TCD240080, but the Craigslist guy has model TCD540040. I'm researching now to see if their power supplies are compatible.

10. timckelley

timckelley TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Well the weaknees site says that the power supply for Series 2 TCD2X TiVo DVR is compatible with

TiVo TCD230040
    TiVo TCD240040
    TiVo TCD240080
    TiVo TCD24004A
    TiVo TCD24008A
    TiVo TCD240140

And the power supply for Series 2 TCD5X TiVo DVR is compatible with

TiVo TCD540040
    TiVo TCD540080
    TiVo TCD540140
    Humax T800
    Humax T2500

:( :( To me this sounds like I won't be able to use his free TiVo.

No, but my recollection is that installing power supplies is reasonably easy, not requiring a soldering iron.

11. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    First, there's no way that a S1 power supply will work in a S2
    Second. Not all S2 power supplies are interchangeable, but the 540 power supplies and the 240 supplies are interchangeable. It's been discussed here before and I and several other people have successfully fixed tivo's by replacing the ps with one from the other model.

12. timckelley

timckelley TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Wow, that's really good news. The weaknees website lists all the models of power supplies and the models of TiVos, and which are compatible with which, and what they say seems to go against what you're saying, but you're saying you have both first hand and second hand knowledge, so I can trust that. Plus this 540 TiVo is free anyway, so it sounds like I should go ahead and try a power supply transplant and see what happens.

13. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
  14. timckelley

timckelley TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Well I'm waiting for the guy at Craigslist to reply so we can set up a time for me to take his TiVo. Meanwhile, I wonder, if the overheating message means that possibly more than the power supply got fried. I worry that after replacing the power supply I'll find that more is wrong with it. I hope not.

OTOH, since the error message on my TiVo was that the DVR was shut down due to excessive heat, that implies to me that the TiVo protects itself from damage by shutting down. That would make me think it shouldn't be damaged. Yet it seems to be.

15. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I suspect it's a combination of the dust buildup, and a power supply failure that is causing the fan to spin slower adding to the heat buildup.
    The power supply itself could be overheating from trying to work too hard to keep the voltages up.

I think the MB will be okay since it shut itself down. I believe the shut down temp is way lower than what the components can actually handle.

Since you have to open the Tivo anyway, it is paramount that you eliminate the power supply as being the problem before diagnosing anything else first.
    To save some time and get a more accurate reading, I suggest you plug the Tivo hard drive into a PC and run the hard drive manufacturer's long test on it. Or, take your chances and see if the Tivo will boot up after you change/repair the power supply.

I'm sure unitron will report back with more detailed info. :)

16. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    If the power supply doesn't fix it you can probably get a cheap one off of craigslist. There are so many on craigslist and they rarely sell. I have TiVos off all sorts on craigslist at all times for the last 10 years for very cheap and they rarely sell, so I would say most of the TiVos that you see on craigslist are still for sale, or have been dumped at the thrift store.

17. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The really important question is whether the little TiVo guy has fallen off of the front of that 540 yet.

:D

I have swapped 240 and 540 supplies back and forth.

Recently.

The 240 supply can manage a little more overall power than the 540, but the pinout of the ribbon cable that connects the power supply to the motherboard and the various voltages are the same (with the possible exception of a slight difference in a low amperage circuit that runs up around 30 Volts or a little lower, and you can get away with that being 28V instead of 29 or whatever).

And the mounting footprint is the same.

So once you verify that the 540 will boot up as far as the welcome screen (you may need to disconnect the hard drive), you can stick it in the 240 for test purposes.

If you're lucky he's got lifetime on that 540 and it just needs a new hard drive and for you to fix the 240's power supply so the 540 can have its supply back.

When you stick the 540 supply into the 240, disconnect the 240's hard drive and see if the 240 will get as far as the welcome screen.

If that works okay, pull the plug, hook the drive back up and try again.

If that works, you probably still need to be thinking about copying the 240's hard drive off to a new drive, which means go read the SATA/IDE adapter thread.

And have a really good look at the capacitors on both power supplies, especially the ones underneath the heat sink overhang. The hardest ones to get to are the most likely to be the ones going bad.

Report back.

I'm sure I'll have more free advice to give. :D

And remember rule #1!

ALWAYS KNOW WHERE BOTH ENDS OF THE POWER CORD ARE AT ALL TIMES!!!

and rule number two is that it is better to unplug from the wall socket and connect and disconnect the cord from the TiVo's AC input jack as few times as possible and with as little wiggling as possible.

18. Fofer

Fofer XenForo Rocks! TCF Club

Oct 29, 2000
  19. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    Yep. I'm in too. :)

20. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'm available to assist in going to unreasonable lengths to save your wife's recordings.