1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s03 error when forcing update

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by substance12, Oct 3, 2013.

1. substance12

substance12 Member

Feb 6, 2008
    short story: i have s03 errors when forcing a connection to the tivo service. as a result i can not get new guide data. tivo is replacing my unit with a premiere for $49.

long story:this first started with GC not completing and my guide data not updating as a result. i did a guided setup and ran into s03 error. i did a KS57. rest of the story is mentioned above.

question:
    i actually upgraded my hard drive many years ago. do i really need a new tivo or can i just swap in my original hard drive to fix it? i'm just curious. i'm going to replace the tivohd with a premiere anyways. i swear, i better not get the GC issue associated with the tuning adapter.

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    I'd think twice about the Premiere. Consider this post:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=9799877#post9799877
    which contains this statement:
    But you will have a lot of company.

Also, I think betting that Premieres (or any Tivo) will be immune to TA-related problems, including GC failure and S03, is a sucker bet. My guess is Tivo market penetration would be at least 50% higher if it weren't for the infernal TA.

3. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Premiers are fine for most, though some do have problems. Not nearly as many complaints from those who prefer the old interface. I'm good with mine, but am still considering a roamio and mini to cut down on cablecard fees.

I would inspect the power supply first- those cause all sorts of odd issues when they go bad. You could also then put in the initial drive and see how that works.

4. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    I assume you've tried disconnecting the TA USB, or powering down the TA, for 3 or 4 hours (since you seem familiar with GC and S03 problems).

Power supply problems are almost always caused by "capacitor disease", which results in bulging electrolytic caps as shown here:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=8750894#post8750894
    Even slight bulging indicates a problem.

5. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Supposedly "Clear Program Information and To Do List" will fix an S03.

Probably wouldn't hurt to disconnect TA while doing so.

6. substance12

substance12 Member

Feb 6, 2008
    Thanks for he advice. That method actually worked. I still have the premiere coming in the mail. Time to beta test.