1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

roof antenna for weak ota reception?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by leiff, Nov 16, 2013.

1. leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    I have basic roamio which has ota but using $75 indoor radioshack tv antenna i couldnt pull anything in. Anyone know how i can inquire about a stronger roof antenna? Im in novato sf bay area 94945

2. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Active Member

Jul 22, 2010
  3. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ Member

Jan 12, 2011
    North...
    Nice PVC 4 bay. Love homebrew antennas

4. pautler

pautler Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Antennaweb is a great site to start at. I was in a similar situation and went with an RCA ANT800 omnidirectional antenna, based on info from antennaweb and elsewhere. It cost approx $65 on Amazon, was super easy to mount on my roof, and now I'm getting great HD reception from more than 20 channels. With my indoor antenna I was getting less than 5, and constantly needed to adjust the antenna (which obviously isn't practical for dvr recording).

-Joe

5. chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Active Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Can you move your indoor antenna to an attic?

6. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Active Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    A lot of people are doing what Chicago is saying, put the antenna in the attic. No need to climb up on the room and make holes in the surface. Works really great for condos and town houses.

7. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Active Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Or at least a mid-sized "outdoor" antenna to an attic or closet (if having it indoors in view is too ugly)? That is what I do. There are some good ones out there. Assuming you only need UHF signals, getting progressively stronger there's the Eagle Aspen EASDTV2BUHF, Antennas Direct DB2E, Antennas Direct DB4E, or Antennas Direct ClearStream 4.

8. series5orpremier

Jul 5, 2013
    Actually you might need something bigger because for that zipcode solidsignal.com recommends the Solid Signal HDBBX or Channel Master CM3020 or Solid Signal HDB4X or Solid Signal HDB91X or Winegard FL6550A.

9. series5orpremier

Jul 5, 2013
    tvfool.com is also a good website to help you figure out how hard it is to pick up different channels.

10. series5orpremier

Jul 5, 2013
    You'll need an attic- or roof- mounted antenna to pick up all the major networks.