1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Romio plus and 4 mini's - wiring suggestions please!

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by marklyn, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Nov 6, 2013 #1 of 35
    marklyn

marklyn New Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    My head is spinning and I could really use some help.
    I currently have 4 DVR satellite receivers, each with dual coax back to the dish and each with an ethernet connection back to my router. I plan on switching to Romio, 4 minis and cable TV very soon but I have a dilemma.

I want to set up a Romio plus and 4 mini's but I'm concerned that connecting all of the mini's to the Romio and streaming to 2-3 of them might cause internet bandwidth issues for my network. I'm looking for a way to isolate the traffic between the mini's and the Romio so my LAN is minimally affected when streaming from Romio to one (or more) minis.

With all of the excess coax I'll have left over and an ethernet drop at each mini location, can I create a configuration where an ethernet hub is servicing all of the mini's and keeping the streaming traffic off the LAN?
    Or, could I use coax to go to each mini, thus avoiding the LAN altogether?

If someone can find a diagram of what I'm trying to do, I'm very visual and that would help a lot.

I've searched for wiring diagrams but haven't found anything yet specific to what I'm wanting so I'm turning to experienced users to help me figure this out.

2. Nov 6, 2013 #2 of 35
    jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    It should not matter. Many folks here are using many minis all at the same time. I would suggest not solving a problem unless it becomes one!

3. Nov 6, 2013 #3 of 35
    marklyn

marklyn New Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    With all due respect, I'd really like a response to the question. My home network setup is likely above average for a typical home user. I have 4 desktop computers, two running 24/7 due to weather related updates one one being a file server. I also have 10 video cameras tied into my network, 5 of which record motion on the file server. This doesn't account for normal internet activity that family members use. Needless to say there is a very decent amount of network traffic on my LAN and there have already been peak times when it's noticed.

Now that I have the opportunity to set up a new configuration, I'd like to do so in a way that minimizes (contains) any influence on my regular network.
    I believe this to be a reasonable and prudent way to plan, but maybe that's just me.

4. Nov 6, 2013 #4 of 35
    Jeremy5

Jeremy5 New Member

Dec 17, 2007
  5. Nov 6, 2013 #5 of 35
    marklyn

marklyn New Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    Jeremy, I've seen that link before but I'm still not understanding the wiring path of the coax. For example, the coax coming into my house goes to my cable modem, would I split it there and connect it to the Romio as well? If I do that how will I connect coax from the Romio to the mini's. I cannot find that level of detail on the website you sent nor the links, but I'll look again.

6. Nov 6, 2013 #6 of 35
    lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    If you use Moca, streaming shows to your minis will have no traffic flowing over ethernet.

Ok, so all you need, wiring-wise is:

One coax wire, run just like you were going to set up cable boxes at each tv...
    -on the coax coming from the cable co. First you use a two way splitter. On one branch of that split, connect it to your cable modem. On the other side of the split, put another (in your case a 5-way) splitter that connects to the coax running to all of the tivos.

-Connect the Roameo to ethernet and coax. After its configured, settled in, with a few calls home, updates, reboots, cablecard setup, etc... go into settings and turn on Moca.

-connect the coax only to each mini. During setup of each they should see the Moca network and just work, pulling everything over the coax.

Couple of pointers:
    -Is the coax is ancient, you might have problems.
    -If the 5 way splitter is rated for too low a frequency, your signal might be too attenuated and Moca might be problematic.
    -its suggested to use a poe filter to prevent the moca networking signal from going out of your house. Just install it between the splitters in my confg, or if not accessable, right where the cable comes in from the cable co. Theoretically allows faster, cleaner Moca signalling... But mine runs around 235mbps and no errors without one installed.... Which is close to the max throughput <shrug>
    -you can get a Poe filter for <$10 delivered from ebay. Gotta install mine one of these days!

7. Nov 6, 2013 #7 of 35
    marklyn

marklyn New Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    Ignad, you are the man! You explained it perfectly to me and I now realize I was over complicating it in my mind. Thank you very much!
    All of the coax in my house is about 2 years old and the heavy/thick kind. I forget the rating but I know it's more than the average cable.

Follow up questions if I may:
    POE filter, are they all the same? Can you point me out to 1-2 different ones so I can check on ebay?
    Regarding splitter, I want to get the right ones, can you also recommend those as well? I'm not understanding frequency requirements so spoon feeding me this info would be appreciated.
    Again, Thanks!

8. Nov 6, 2013 #8 of 35
  9. Nov 6, 2013 #9 of 35
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    If you are running a gigabit network you shouldn't have any issues over ethernet. I'm running ten cameras here plus dozens of other network devices without issue.

Although I do have things physically segmented on my network since I run unmanaged gigabit switches. So the TiVos and TiVo Desktop PC are on a segment and the cameras are also on another. My media players, PCs and other devices are on a third, while my APs are on a fourth segment.

So the devices only communicate outside their network segment if they send/receive data over the internet, or communicate with a device on another segment.

10. marklyn

marklyn New Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    All good stuff, thanks for the input, keep it coming.
    I'm going to go with the moca setup since I've already got good dual coax in all the rooms.

11. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Coax is the way to go since you've already got all that wire run. MoCA POE filters are pretty much all the same. A cheap one on ebay is fine.

Splitters should be rated for at least 1000 MHz (1 GHz) but ideally higher.

This thread may be useful too:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=501722

12. NJguy

NJguy New Member

Sep 10, 2013
    I have a Plus and 2 minis with 6 computers and Optimum Ultra 101 (the fastest you can get). I will tell you that a couple of times I have lost connection to mini a couple of times. Generally going to the TiVo menu and then back to live tv fixes it but I'm thinking for you going MoCa would be best option. I think I'm going to go to MoCa and see what happens.

13. marklyn

marklyn New Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    That was a concern I had NJGuy. I have a satellite DVR setup now where I've got a lot of stuff on my LAN (streaming vid cams, satellite DVR's, etc.) and occasionally my whole home satellite DVR setup has to be restarted for what I'm thinking has been more bandwidth being sucked up. At any rate, going the moca route will totally eliminate any potential streaming from tivo to tivo boxes anyway.

14. marklyn

marklyn New Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    OK, now that I think I understand this I've drawn up a cabling plan. Please let me know if this looks correct. Appreciate any additional input or suggestions as well.

Attached Files:

15. Lrscpa

Lrscpa New Member

Apr 20, 2003
  16. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
  17. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Your diagram looks fine but technically you want the poe filter to actually be on the main leg into the network, the one you have marked "time warner". That will prevent the MoCA network from back feeding under any circumstances out to the other side of your home.

18. marklyn

marklyn New Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    I'm not sure I understand. I thought placing the POE filter in the location it's at would also prevent back feeding into my network and contain all traffic within the Roamio and mini's segment. If I put it where you're suggesting, wouldn't there then be the possibility of this happening?

19. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts

Last night I did a quick search.... $7.50 delivered from eBay.

Tivo charges more than that in shipping! :eek:

20. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    I'd agree about moving the POE back to the main drop.

Then, you could have a 6-way splitter at the point of entry to give yourself a better signal to all the tivo boxes, rather than the redundancy of an extra splitter that would reduce signal strength... if physically possible.

Also, Time Warner may require the use of a tuning adapter at the DVR. This is the recommended setup for the Tuning Adapter. (Basically, don't use the RF out on the tuning adapter. This will allow moca to bypass the tuning adapter).

[​IMG]