1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

romiao base model no cable card

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by ejonesss, Feb 10, 2014.

1. ejonesss

ejonesss New Member

Aug 13, 2007
    i dont see any cable card slot on the $199 base model of the romiao and it is hard to tell in the picture of the top removed from the hard drive upgrade topic but i dont think there is even a cable card slot.

how do we get access to cable that requires cable card?

has the cable card technology gotten reliable and secure enough now they can put the decoder chip in the box permanently?

secure meaning that no more concerns of theft of service or hacking or even being stolen from 1 unit and used in another.

reliable meaning it wont fail and need replacing
  2. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 New Member

Jan 12, 2014
  3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    The cable card slot is on the bottom of the Roamio, just like the battery compartment of a remote where you open a cover to access it.
  4. eboydog

eboydog Just TiVo'ing.....

Mar 23, 2006
    Any cable provider that supplies the dwelling with service via coax cable can provide the services and the card(s), including those who provide fios. The expection is those providers who use iptv such as Century link Prism and the satellite providers.

There is talk about the chip concept however the general feeling is that it's going no were (AllVid).

It's a secure technology, the cards are paired to your equipment and if it removed and put in someone else's equipment the worse thing that might happen is they will receive cable services until you report such a theft and then the cable company can shut it off completely.

If it does fail, the card belongs to the cable company, you rent it and should it go bad they will replace it. Rental ranges from $1.50 a month to as much as $7.50 (that's the highest I have heard of but it might be more in some locations. MOST rental fees are $2