1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio with basic cable channels

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by az1097, Oct 13, 2013.

1. az1097

az1097 New Member

Apr 3, 2013
    I'm looking to buy a new Roamio and would like to make sure I'd be able to get my basic cable channels from Time Warner Cable when directly connecting the Tivo to the cable outlet WITHOUT tunning adapter or cable card. Thanks.

2. ncbill

ncbill Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Western NC
    The Roamio models tune only digital, not analog cable.

You'd need a Premiere or Series 3 unit for analog cable.

3. TimA

TimA New Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Depends if you provider provides basic cable in analog or digital. Comcast in my area went digital only over a year ago.

For basic digital cable you need to determine if your basic channels are in ClearQAM (no CableCard) or Encrypted (require CableCard). Unfortunately the trend with many providers, including Comcast, is to phase out ClearQAM channels.

4. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    I'm fairly confident all TWC markets simulcast analog and digital for the basic channels. The problem is you need the CableCard to map the digital simulcast to the regular analog channel number and to decrypt everything other than broadcast locals. TWC provides local broadcast signals via Clear QAM, so you could do a channel scan for those with a Roamio, but it's unlikely they would properly map to the Tivo guide, so you'd be stuck with a dumb digital recorder.

As mentioned, you want a Premiere.

5. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Can you get them? possibly, will they have guide data without a CableCARD? nope, so is that worth it for you? it wouldn't be for me, I'd spend the $3 a month for the card.

6. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Or I've heard you can get the proper cablecard from eBay and even if not authorized and setup by your cable co, it will at least remap the channels to their proper places.

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You need a CableCARD, you probably don't need a tuning adapter though. The TA is only needed to watch the channels which are SDV, which are typically the lesser watched expanded basic channels.

As HarperVision mentioned if you buy a CableCARD on eBay it will work as well. It wont be able to decrypt anything, but as long as the channels you want to watch are unencrypted it will be able to map them properly so TiVo can record from them.