1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio Wifi--What is the Truth?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Latitude94941, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Latitude94941

Latitude94941 New Member

Dec 15, 2013
    Have searched the threads and contacted Tivo technical support, but have only gotten conflicting answers to my question:

I just purchased a Roamio Plus. It is installed next to sensitive audio equipment, so I want to make sure the Roamio's wifi is not active. When setting up the Roamio, I never connected via wifi--only by Ethernet.

Can anyone tell me whether the Roamio's wifi will be off in this scenario? Or, as some have reported, is it always active, even if it is connected by Ethernet?

Thanks...

2. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    It would be as active as any Computer with built in WiFi that you never set up, some computers have an on/off switch for the WiFi so I will assume that some signal as a receiver would be working, but I don't think you would have any transmissions that would be a problem for your sensitive audio equipment, I am sure all TiVos (without built in WiFi ) have some RF transmission, but at FCC approved levels.

3. Latitude94941

Latitude94941 New Member

Dec 15, 2013
    Thanks, Les,

I realize that the Roamio will emit RF no matter what, but I'm specifically referring to wifi transmissions. I do have a computer in this same installation, but the wifi is set to off.

Trying to get definitive answer--some have said if wifi never set up on Roamio then it will not be active. Others have suggested entering a bad wifi password to disable wifi--but would this really be a solution?

4. sleepdragon

sleepdragon New Member

May 22, 2010
  5. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Have you tried that ? as I would like to do that but I was concerned that the software would notice and give out an error.

6. Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

Jun 4, 2012
    what type of audio equipment is so sensitive in a home environment that can't deal with commonly found RF transmissions found in a home?

Or are you one of those Audiophiles that chases the unobtainable theoretical performance by buying all kinds of crazy cables and connectors thinking that somehow a $100 digital cable will sound better than a $5 digital cable? (Hint if its digital, and the cable works reliably there is no difference, to your ears or to fancy scopes).

-TL

7. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    It was a good question. No one needs more unnecessary/extraneous 2.4 Ghz radiation running around in one's house.

8. Latitude94941

Latitude94941 New Member

Dec 15, 2013
    I'd also be interested in giving this a try. Would just desoldering/disconnecting the wires at the top of the board do it? Is there another method to disconnect the board without physically removing it?

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    One extra device shouldn't make any difference. I have dozens of active WiFi devices without any issues. Although half of mine do use 5Ghz.

10. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    No one needs more unnecessary/extraneous 2.4 Ghz radiation running around in one's house.

11. Latitude94941

Latitude94941 New Member

Dec 15, 2013
    Thanks for all the responses, but to stay on topic, let's please not debate general wifi and RFI issues in this thread, or what does or does not make an audible difference in a recording/playback signal chain. Discussions for another place and time.

For now, let's just stipulate that someone wants to either:

A) Determine that the Roamio's wifi adapter is not broadcasting when connected via Ethernet (and having never been connected via wifi).

Or

B) Somehow shut off or disconnect the wifi adapter if it is indeed broadcasting.

How would someone accomplish the above?

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Someone already mentioned it. You need to physically disconnect the WiFi board. That is the only way to be 100% sure you have no extraneous signals. Although I think that is an extreme measure considering all the wifi devices out there.

13. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    You can always cut the wires. If you decide you want wifi again, wire nut the wires back together. I'm only half kidding. If you're worried about warranty issues, I got nuthin'. :p

14. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    Instead of cutting anything, just disconnect the antenna wires. The two little gold colored tabs at the top of that board should pop right off and snap back on at a later date if you need them. They're just like the antenna wires on a laptop.

If you never set wifi up in the first place I don't think it would ever transmit anything. Giving it the wrong SSID or password would be my last choice, as it would keep trying to connect.

15. duncan7

duncan7 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I thought nuking it from orbit was only way to be sure. :D

16. Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

Jun 4, 2012
    disconnecting the antennas on the wifi board in the TiVo doesn't stop the TiVo from transmitting, it just severely reduces the effective range.

I'd be more worried about the big antenna sticking out the back of the audio equipment... you know the unshielded 2 or 3 conductor wire called the power cord!

Snake oil salesmen aren't out of business yet!

17. Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

Jun 4, 2012
    I think I found the answer to your electromagnetic issues...

http://www.lessloss.com/blackbody-p-200.html

The cost starts at just over $1323, but with your super sensitive audio equipment this should fit in and solve the issue.

18. Latitude94941

Latitude94941 New Member

Dec 15, 2013
    I suspect you're right that disconnecting the wires will only cut the range, not the signal.

By the way, for the reasons you mentioned, I do use shielded AC cables in my recording set up.

19. moon_tower

moon_tower New Member

Feb 2, 2008
    Put your Tivo in a homemade Faraday cage. You'll have to put your remote on IR though.

20. Latitude94941

Latitude94941 New Member

Dec 15, 2013
    Thanks. I have now heard the same thing from several sources, but does anyone know how I can confirm this? If this is indeed the case, would sure hate to be disconnecting wifi board or some of the other scenarios that we've been kicking around here (although the earlier suggestion to nuke it from space does seem rather exciting).