1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio Wifi Setup Problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by nyctwc, Aug 25, 2013.

1. nyctwc

nyctwc New Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Is anyone having problems connecting their Roamio via Wifi? I'm using the current (6th Generation) Apple Airport Extreme router. After a lot of fooling around, the only way I was able to connect via Wifi was to:

1. Turn off MAC filtering (called Timed Access Control in Apple's Airport Utility). I'm certain I typed the MAC address correctly as shown on the Tivo screen, and I have 9 other devices that connect with no problems.

2. Plug in a hardwired Ethernet cable first, before choosing "Connect Using Wireless." It doesn't make any sense to have to do this for a wireless setup. Even after doing this, the "Network Connection" screen doesn't refresh to show a wireless connection. You have to go to the "Network Diagnostics" screen and come back to it.

If I undo either of those two steps and try connecting again via wireless, I get a "Wireless Network Problem" screen, error code (N06). There are some troubleshooting tips on that screen, and then it says "For more info, visit tiro.com/help/N06," which brings you to a web page that says "Internal Server Error."

I called up Tivo Support, and the representative didn't know about this issue and wasn't very helpful.

2. donsullivan

donsullivan New Member

May 31, 2000
    Orlando, FL
    I had similar issues with my base unit with an Apple Time Capsule (Dual Band Version) as my wireless base station.

I ended up taking the TiVo into another room and completed the full setup including software updates on a wired connection. After it was all done, I changed the network connection to WiFi and now it's working fine.

I can't confirm but it seems that the software on the box from the factory has some sort of issue with WPA2 encryption and an update that got pushed down during the initial startup seems to have resolved it.

I've been streaming content from Hulu, NetFlix and the like without issue since Friday with WiFi connection only.

3. nyctwc

nyctwc New Member

Apr 6, 2010
    I have the latest version of the Tivo software (20.3.6-USA-6-840) and I still have the problem. I would appreciate it if someone else can confirm this same problem on their Roamio.

4. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Malden, MA
    I had an issue with my Roamio (N06) until I changed the channel on my wireless router.

5. nyctwc

nyctwc New Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Do you have MAC filtering turned on?

6. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Malden, MA
    I do not.

7. Kobe_No_Means_No

Kobe_No_Means_No New Member

Aug 26, 2013
    I also have the new 6th-gen Airport Extreme. I set up my Roamio Plus without a hitch.

Mac-filtering off, WPA2, 802.11ac dual-band on, guest-network on, airport extreme functions as router (rather than bridge), it is the only router (no extenders/repeaters), latest firmware.

8. nyctwc

nyctwc New Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Did you have an Ethernet cable plugged in when you went through guided setup?

9. Kobe_No_Means_No

Kobe_No_Means_No New Member

Aug 26, 2013
    No I didn't. It was able to find the wifi SSID and log on. Everything went as it should.

10. mwenn1

mwenn1 New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I am having trouble with my Roamio pro connection as well. It will connect after multiple attempts, but then drops the connection multiple time throughout the day. I have to reboot the tivo, and try multiple times to get it to connect again. Even when connected it shows the broadcast channel as 0 even though I am broadcasting on channel 11. The XL I have connects with no problem, shows correct channel and everything.

11. nyctwc

nyctwc New Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Mine won't connect unless the Ethernet cable is plugged in when I log in. Are you using an Apple router?

12. Kolenka

Kolenka New Member

Jan 2, 2013
    He's using the latest Apple router, the tall one with 802.11ac and is kinda goofy looking, as am I. I'll see if I have any problems this evening when I hook up my Plus (finally arrived using TiVo's free ground shipping). I can at least test to see if there are problems.

Out of curiosity, how is the network configured when it comes to 2.4Ghz/5Ghz use? I wonder if it might be related to which band it is trying to connect to.

EDIT: Was able to complete setup just fine with an Airport Extreme 'ac' model over Wifi (hated entering my WPA2 passcode though). Had to re-connect after that, but it worked again there.

13. tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    I'm getting a different kind of wifi setup problem. TiVo's password input screen only allows alphanumeric characters. I choose better passwords than that, so my wifi WPA2 password has many non-alphanumeric characters. Ergo, I cannot setup wifi on my Roamio.

14. Kolenka

Kolenka New Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Try the "SYM" button in the software keyboard. That will bring up the symbol selection screen. My password uses symbols in it as well, and I had no problem setting it up.

15. tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Thanks! That worked great.

16. oh4real

oh4real New Member

Jan 8, 2007
    My roamio threw an N02 network error. Part of recommendation was to restart my Netgear router (despite older Tivo and 6 other devices were using just fine), which i righteously declined to do. Tried a couple dozen times.

When I logged into my router to verify password and WPA encryption settings, I saw a "firmware update available button" and, since I'm two floors away, executed it with a reboot I knew it would do.

Then I tried Roamio again and it worked flawlessly.

Don't know if it was the firmware update or the reboot, but I might try the "impractical" reboot first next time.

17. Rkkeller

Rkkeller Active Member

May 13, 2004
    I had a problem too last night with a basic Xfinity router. I don't know what I did to fix it but after I lowered the firewall on it to low, it worked.

18. nyctwc

nyctwc New Member

Apr 6, 2010
    I spoke to Level 2 Tivo support and was told the problem with MAC filtering is a known issue and is being worked on.

Regarding my second problem (see first post above), I seem to be the only person reporting this problem so far.

19. RSCHOON

RSCHOON Member

Sep 7, 2013
    I was having this same exact issue and was never able to resolve it. I just started using ethernet instead. The issue is that I had to unplug the ethernet from my XBox, so not sure what I am going to do long term. I needed to go ethernet anyway since I am setting my Roamio up as my MoCa bridge to connect my TiVo Mini upstairs.

20. MadPB

MadPB New Member

Oct 6, 2013
    I've been tinkering around with a DD-WRT firmware on my wifi router, which supports all of the North America 5GHz channels. Mostly, I was testing the signal strength of different channels on the router from my laptop, running a wifi analyzer.

What I found was that the 100-116 range of channels gave me really good signal strength, high signal-noise-ratio (SNR) which was mostly due to low noise, as opposed to really being that much stronger of a signal. Makes sense: I left the transmit power the same, at 40mW on my Netgear R6300.

So, I happily set it to channel 108+110 (40MHz setting, to use 2 different bonded channels). It was working GREAT on my laptop with an Intel wlan card.

However... I then try using my Roku XDS which is dual-band, and that doesn't work. And then I tried connecting with the Tivo Roamio Plus, which is also dual-band, and was working on 5G with my old settings of channel 161, but then it didn't want to connect either.

Weird thing about the Tivo, it could see the SSID of my 5G wifi, but it couldn't connect... that's odd.

Turns out, not all client devices for 5G will support certain channels, specifically the ones that require "dynamic frequency selection". Those are channels 52-64, 100-116, and 132-140. What it really means is that out of all the lovely 5GHz channels that are available, apparently these half-breed "5G" devices can only use channels 36, 40, 44, 48 and then the 149, 153, 157, 161 and maybe 165, although I didn't check the Tivo with 165.

The lower channels in the 5G band are more susceptible to noise, so you're likely to see slightly worse speeds. The higher channels are less noisy, but have a shorter range. If you can get a good signal, the higher channels are probably a good bet.

Plus you have to make sure you use some software like inSSIDer which is a nice little wifi analyzer... it scans for other wifi routers in your area and what channels they're on, so you can pick the best one. If you run it from a system with dual band (2.4 and 5 GHz), you can see both of those ranges.

When I was testing, using channel 149 I was able to actually transfer a large file at 139.5 Mbps. On channel 108 it bumped up to 141.5 Mbps, so it's really not a huge difference, but still pretty nice.

Now I just wish Tivo would let me setup a Moca network as long as I have a really nice 5G connection like that. 2.4GHz is such a noisy band, I guess I don't blame them for not supporting streaming over that, but c'mon, a good 5G network is faster than 100M ethernet at any rate, and Moca 1.1 itself is only rated to 175 Mbps. Right now, my dd-wrt status screen is saying the Tivo is connected to my router at a 300 Mbps signaling rate, so yeah...

Anyway, my point, which I've wandered off from, is that if using 5G channels to hook up your Tivo, be sure and use channels that in those "safe" ranges. If you let your router auto-select the channel, who knows what it'll pick, so you're probably better off manually picking one of the channels in those non-DFS ranges.