1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio Wi-Fi

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by jacbec, Aug 20, 2013.

1. jacbec

jacbec Member

May 15, 2012
    Louisville, CO
    Why in the world didn’t TiVo use 802.11ac wi-fi in Roamio? I am updating all of my Apple toys to the new standard. I asked TiVo chat and they were ho-hum, 802.11n works fine. So does my 1964 Pontiac.

2. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    The CPU probably doesn't have that much transfer bandwidth (just as the Premiere is limited to roughly 80mbps), so it wouldn't get used to its full potential. But it will be interesting to see what kind of speed we can get out of a Roamio.

3. c-collins

c-collins Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Brick, NJ
    most likely because 802.11ac is not a finalized standard yet.

4. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    :rolleyes:

5. wilhelmp

wilhelmp New Member

Jan 27, 2005
    These responses are pretty weak, guys. Lack of CPU power and draft spec status? Broadcom announced its 802.11ac chips in Jan 2012, so there was plenty of time to plan for supporting it, including any CPU, RAM or other architectural needs. While the standard hasn't been completely finalized, it's at the final stages and isn't expected to change much at this point, which is why there are many routers and devices already on the market that support it.

6. P42

P42 New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    What does 802.11ac provide that you think a TiVo needs?

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    TiVo hardware has never really been accused of being cutting edge. 802.11ac is just barely starting to hit the market, very, very few people are using it. It's still very much bleeding edge technology and only companies that make bleeding edge hardware are using it.

That being said if you really want to use 802.11ac you can always use an Ethernet bridge.

8. ncbill

ncbill Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Western NC
    So is 802.11n fast enough to stream shows Tivo to Tivo?

I'd like to get the base Roamio for upstairs, adding a big (8-bay) antenna in the attic, and use it as my everyday OTA recorder.

Then stream shows to my (original model) Premiere downstairs (already connected via ethernet to the wireless router), possibly adding digital cable later.

I'd rather stream than copy because ATSC MPEG-2 generates huge files.

9. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It should be able to handle 1 stream OK as long as you don't have a bunch of other traffic on your wifi network and you have a good signal.

10. ncbill

ncbill Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Western NC
    Thanks, ordered it & got a free Stream via code:GROUPER.

11. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    802.11n is plenty fast for anything TiVo needs to do, including room to room streaming. The problem with Wireless in general (And why TiVo doesn't allow MRS over WiFi) is that 2.4GHz is an extremely congested band. Moving to 802.11n over 5GHz would alleviate that issue somewhat and the way 802.11ac alleviates that issue further is by restricting it to ONLY work on 5GHz and increasing the number of channels that are bonded together to make it work.

There is no discovery that led to the design of 802.11ac, they switched modulations, required MORE spectrum and restricted it to 5GHz only. Not exactly rocket science.

The upshot is that the new Roamio line supports 802.11 a/b/g/n on BOTH the 2.4GHz AND 5GHz bands.

12. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cary, NC
    I used that code and they gave me $50 off. Maybe because I already had a stream in my account.

13. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    802.11n is more than fast enough. You just need to have a properly setup network. Unfortunately most people don't. A properly setup Wi-Fi network has multipls APs and the APs will also not be saturated and will not using congested channels. The vast majority of home networks were not setup to meet that criteria and that is typically why they have issues.

When I tested my TiVo Premieres and Minis with wireless Bridges, From a user perspective, the experience was identical to when they were connected to Ethernet or MoCA.

14. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    I think you meant that last "b" to be an "n".

15. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It gives you $50 off the Stream and another $80 off the TiVo, so the Stream is essentially free.

16. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Yes, sorry. Corrected in the original post.

17. brianm729

brianm729 New Member

Jul 10, 2013
    I thought in order to use stream or mini the TiVo needed a wired Ethernet connection. Am I mistaken?

18. Tico

Tico Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Dec 9, 2002

And why didn't they give us Quad Core processors, gigs of Ram. 20 tuners Keyboards.... etc....

Because of cost and at this point adoption is likely less than .5% and noone needs it....

19. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    It's not "supported" meaning they won't support you if you call them, but it works.

20. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    They want the connection between the TiVo DVR and the mini or stream to be hardwired. The reason is that the MPEG2 show travels over that connection and needs both high bandwidth and a clean connection. The connection to the iPad or streaming client can be less robust because the show is transcoded to AVC which requires much less bandwidth.

On the Roamio Plus or pro the connection between the disk and transcoding chip is all inside the same box, so it just isn't an issue anymore.