1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio streaming and/or out-of-home viewing

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by ppaven2, Mar 26, 2014.

1. ppaven2

ppaven2 New Member

Mar 26, 2014
    I have a roamio plus, and have been playing around with streaming and downloading shows to my iphone and ipad. All working well. Wanted to watch shows on a larger screen so tried appletv, but it will not allow mirroring. So I am trying to find a way to connect my iphone/ipad to tv to watch shows on bigger screen when away from home. If I get an Apple digital AV adapter and HDMI cable, will that allow mirroring my shows from Tivo app on iphone to TV? Are there other devices/options that will allow me to do this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
  2. tatergator1

tatergator1 New Member

Mar 27, 2008
    The Tivo iOS app specifically blocks HDMI out. No one has figured out a way to display shows from the iOS app on a larger screen, outside of jail-breaking your phone.
  3. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Yeah, you can jailbreak your IOS device and after installing a number of utilities to fool the device, it will work.

Frankly, it wouldn't be worth my time or money. Get a Mini for at home viewing and if you are really trying to use this as a way to extend your cable to a large screen in another home.

1) it is theft of service, not that I care. 2) You aren't going to be very happy with the end product.

I use OOH streaming from time to time, the quality is really pretty good with my FIOS network, but it freezes too often and makes it hard to use.

A lot of guys complain that the picture is terrible. I for one think the picture is fantastic, as good as my Slingbox - but not stable enough yet.
  4. ppaven2

ppaven2 New Member

Mar 26, 2014
    I'm actually trying to figure out how to watch recorded shows when AWAY from home. So I don't think a mini is going to help me out. Just trying to find a way to view shows from within the IOS TiVo app (either downloaded or streaming), but on a larger screen. And I'm not smart enough to jailbreak anything!

If connecting IOS device via HDMI isn't an option, will Roku or Slingbox permit me to see my recorded TiVo shows away from my home network?
  5. mpnret

mpnret New Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Anyone know if TiVo desktop blocks HDMI out? We currently stream to the ipad in kitchen instead of the small tv we have in there. Saves the cost of a mini. Also watch on my Sony Vaio 24" HD using TiVo desktop. My son who doesn't even have cable at his place streams to his ipad from our TiVo and also schedules recordings etc. It's like having a TiVo without the cost for him. He also uses Xfinity to go on his laptop to connect to our Xfinity account which gives him plenty to watch including HBO, On Demand, etc. This also outputs out the HDMI port to his TV. It would b nice if loading TiVo desktop would give him the same ability.
  6. bayern_fan

bayern_fan New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Slingbox + Airplay (through your Apple TV)
  7. ppaven2

ppaven2 New Member

Mar 26, 2014
    slingbox + airplay, instead of TiVo?
  8. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    You could use a laptop with HDMI output port, copy/transfer with Tivo Desktop or PyTivo, KMTTG and play it there. HDMI to a TV will always work since it will be an extension of the laptop screen, or mirrored. You also will have a large drive to store alot of the shows.