1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio Specs

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by kturcotte, Jan 25, 2014.

1. kturcotte

kturcotte New Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    Curious what the specs of the Roamio are (Specifically the CPU and RAM, and specifically for the base unit if they're different), and why the 7 year old PS3 runs faster than my Roamio. The speed isn't bad, especially compared to the Premiere, but loading apps is extremely slow compared to my PS3.

2. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    What else is your PS3 doing (especially with disk) at the same time? The TiVo is writing a minimum of 4 different streams (6 streams with Plus or Pro models) to disk. Loading an app is a question of bringing things off disk into memory; contention for either will slow things down (it's a question of disk seeks, not disk throughput).

3. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Supposedly the Roamios use a Broadcom BCM7241, though I wonder if the numbers were reversed and it's actually a BCM7421.

From a MHz standpoint, the PS3 is probably about 3x faster. The Cell chip was a high-end component for a high-end gaming environment, while set-top box CPUs are designed to be low-powered, inexpensive components more suited for their low-power environments.