1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio setup with Moca-help needed

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by szvers, Jan 26, 2014.

1. szvers

szvers New Member

May 20, 2005
    I am going to suspend my directv account for 6 months and see if I can make a go of tivo.

I have a basic roamio and a mini being delivered tomorrow, but I am trying to setup all I can before they arrive.

I have been reading all I can on this site, as well as on tivo.com.

I have an attic antenna that is split to several jacks around the house. This is currently giving me crystal clear HD, better than directv.

I just used a directv cinema connection wireless device to bring internet to my tv where i plan on putting the roamio. I have two of these devices. Can I use them as moca adapters? One at the router and one at the roamio tv, or do i even need to do that, as long as i have internet using just one of the directv devices?

I am trying to get away with not buying the actiontec adapters, so can anyone tell me if my existing directv devices will work at moca adapters?

I will have a mini in another room, but I know it won't work without a moca network. I am pretty shaky on how to set that up.

Thank you so much in advance.

2. shrike4242

shrike4242 Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Saint Louis, MO
    Those devices aren't MoCA adapters, they're wireless Ethernet bridges. Each device would allow whatever is connected to the Ethernet port to an existing wireless network. From what I'm reading on the DirecTV site, it looks like they're really designed to have the DVR do the connection of the device, not any real manual setup.

You would in theory only need one device per Tivo component, though again, I don't know how you'd manually configure it as a wireless bridge. You wouldn't need one at the router, since they're wireless bridges.

To do it as MoCA, you'd need two adapters, one at the router connected via Ethernet and one for the Roamio Basic. The Mini has a MoCA adapter integrated into it.

3. szvers

szvers New Member

May 20, 2005
    Okay, so I need to buy the actiontec moca adapters?

So I plug in the antenna into the adapter's in and what do I attach to the coax out? Or just I just leave that one empty and connect it with Ethernet cable to my router?

Thanks

4. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    The coax goes into the RF-in on the moca adapter. The RF-out runs to the back of the Tivo. Then run ethernet from the adapter to the Tivo as well.

Just like this:

[​IMG]

The primary moca adapter will need a coax line somewhere near your router, to create the moca network. This is the most typical setup (assuming there's a cable modem, though the modem isn't necessary if you're using DSL or whatever):

[​IMG]

5. szvers

szvers New Member

May 20, 2005
    Thanks for the diagrams, really helps. If I'm just using OTA, not a modem or dsl what do I plug into the output of the moca adapter that sits near the router?

6. BigJimOutlaw

Mar 21, 2004
    In that case, I believe nothing. As long as a coax line runs to the RF-in of the adapter, and an ethernet connection goes from the adapter to one of the router's LAN ports, the moca bridge should be made.

7. szvers

szvers New Member

May 20, 2005
    I am able to enter the settings of the wireless bridges. Will disabling the wireless make them moca adapters?

8. shrike4242

shrike4242 Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Saint Louis, MO
    If you can edit the settings on those two wireless bridges, then they're usable for that purpose. At no time does it appear on the DirecTV support page that they look like MoCA adapters, just wireless bridges.

I'd just purchase the Actiontec two-pack from either Tivo or Amazon and set them up as others have described. You can use the pass-through for the cable modem so that it has a cable signal, though a better item would be a two-way split at the cable modem for the MoCA adapter.

9. szvers

szvers New Member

May 20, 2005
    I already had a MoCa network with DirecTV, and the wireless bridges were taken from that setup. When I go into the settings of the bridge, it does have a MoCA MAC address, so I am hoping they work, but as you can tell I know little to nothing about this stuff.

10. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    I don't believe Cable TV MoCA and Satellite MoCA are compatible. I don't have any experience with DECA (DirecTV MoCA), but I suppose it could be possible that the DirectTV equipment would adapt to the Cable MOCA signals if you switch.

From the MoCA alliance website here.

11. szvers

szvers New Member

May 20, 2005
    Thank you for info. It would be helpful for the consumer if they were all on the same page, but I don't think that's ever going to happen.

I've disabled the wireless in both of them now, but other than that, I wouldn't know what else to do. I will repost after I hook them up and see if they work through the antenna that I have split to two coax jacks.

12. szvers

szvers New Member

May 20, 2005
    I've also read that the Actiontec MI424WR combination MoCA/wireless router can be repurposed as a MoCA bridge.
    What is the difference between a bridge and an adapter?

13. tatergator1

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    When talking about Actiontec MoCA devices, Nothing.

14. szvers

szvers New Member

May 20, 2005
    After disabling the wireless on the DECA/DirecTV bridges I was able to get my TV in the other room connected to the internet using them but the antenna wouldn't work for OTA channels.
    My question is why would the networking be successful but not the tv signals?

I will get my roamio later today. When I have it connected to the roamio will that make a difference as far as getting the tv signals, as opposed to just trying it with my tv now?

15. BigJimOutlaw

Mar 21, 2004
    DECA isn't compatible with OTA. The signal overlaps with part of the UHF band. Need MoCA's higher running frequency to avoid interference with the OTA signal.

16. Luckyluc

Luckyluc New Member

Jan 24, 2014
    This is FANTASTIC info and thank you so much for the labeling/diagrams.

17. Luckyluc

Luckyluc New Member

Jan 24, 2014
    Anyone have the actual part numbers for the MOCA adaptors that Tivo sells? Is that the best place to buy them?

18. tatergator1

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Tivo is selling the following Actiontec model #'s:

ECB2500C (Single Adapter)
    ECB2500CK01 (Two-Pack)

Tivo has the best prices currently. I bought mine in late December 2013 and Amazon had the 2-pack for the same price as Tivo, so I got them from Amazon.

19. Luckyluc

Luckyluc New Member

Jan 24, 2014
    Tater - If I understand MOCA correctly and with the new Roamio Plus/Pro and mini, its included so I do need at least need to add ECB2500C correct to the router to get this all together?

I have to of the Premiere 4's with no MOCA now so haven't had anything before.

If I buy the ECB2500CK01 2 pack, I can use one on the router and the other on one of the Premiere 4's if I understand all this right?

20. tatergator1

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yes

Yes