1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio remote easter egg

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by tim1724, Dec 16, 2013.

1. tim1724

tim1724 Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2007
    Temple City, CA
    I accidentally found what I think is a new easter egg in the Roamio remote. (I would imagine that it's in the new slide remote too, but I don't have one to test.)

Press and hold the TiVo and Play buttons on your Roamio remote until the LED lights up. Then release the buttons.

It seems to repeat until you press another button.

If this is old news, sorry, but a quick search of the forum didn't yield any existing threads on this.

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    And what exactly does that do besides light up the LED? Does it play a little tune? ;)

3. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Went to Best Buy today and remembered this little "easter egg".

They had a Roamio basic on display and I wanted to hear what the remote sounded like.
    With the music in Best Buy, it was hard to hear the tune the remote was playing, but I bet after they close and turn off the music, they'll be wondering what device is "singing" -- if the batteries last, that is.

:D

4. Ky_Shag

Ky_Shag Shaggy Dog

Jan 26, 2012
    Louisville,KY
    its the TiVo theme song

5. xbr23

xbr23 New Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    If you push the remote finder on the roamio box, the remote will play the jingle until you find the remote and push a button on the remote

6. Ky_Shag

Ky_Shag Shaggy Dog

Jan 26, 2012
    Louisville,KY
    no button on basic remote plays tune though

7. Zu Nim

Zu Nim Registerer Used

Apr 20, 2012
    So the basic Roamio doesn't have a hardware button to trigger the remote finder song, but can it be trigged by software? That would be a real easter egg. I wonder if the basic and Plus/Pro use the same ZigBee chip.

8. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Not by software, from the remote itself.

9. Zu Nim

Zu Nim Registerer Used

Apr 20, 2012
    I'm meant the hardware button on the Plus/Pro, not the remote itself. A trigger in the TiVo software to activate the remote finder (and song).

10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The new Slide Pro has a dongle you can get to use it with a Premiere/Mini, the dongle itself has a button which activates the remote finder. I wonder if you could use that dongle with a Roamio Basic to have access to the remote finder feature? Or if there would be a conflict because of RF already being built into the unit?

11. skypros

skypros Ex satellite dealer

May 18, 2015
    Bend, Oregon
    Sorry to bring up an old thread......

By doing the above.... Is this supposed to have the remote play a tune???

The reason I ask is because My Roamio Plus will not do the remote finder.... So I am thinking My remote may be defective OR maybe there are 2 different versions of the Roamio remotes??

12. JWhites

JWhites New Member

May 14, 2013
    Sorry for the delayed response. Yes, doing the aforementioned button combo will cause the remote to play the jingle. Last I checked there is only one version of the TiVo Roamio remote for the base, Plus, and Pro. To use the remote finder the remote must be paired to the TiVo Roamio via RF. You can try unpairing and re-pairing the remote to the TiVo and see if that helps. https://support.tivo.com/articles/I...-Perform-a-Global-Reset-for-my-Remote-Control

Good luck.