1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio Remote Battery Door!

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by kdmorse, Jun 13, 2014.

1. kdmorse

kdmorse Active Member

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    This would be the 9'th tivo I have purchased and set up, and the first one that is defeating me.

How the hell do you open the battery compartment on the remote (default that comes with a Roamio Pro)?

The cover doesn't obviously slide one way or another. There's kinda a lip on one side you can press or pull, but I don't want to do either with too much force. And without knowing which way it goes, I don't know if I'm not pushing hard enough, or if there's a hidden latch, or.... I can't find anything in the materials that ship with it (a simple picture would help so much), or see it in any of the various unboxing videos I've skimmed.

I'm feeling so stupid right now...

Help?

;)

2. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    pull

3. kdmorse

kdmorse Active Member

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Ahh, it peels open like a banana! Thanks!

(Already have guided setup running using a different remote - now I can switch to the right one)

4. moonscape

moonscape Member

Jul 3, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Ha! Now I don't feel so stupid for wrestling with it when it first arrived. At least you have more courage for asking the question. Me - I just paced around stupidly doing battle until it finally popped open!

5. deoliveiraf

deoliveiraf New Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Maybe I am a little slow here, but I am almost cutting my finger on the lip portion trying to pull it down. Seems like I am applying too much force to open it. Any better advice than just "Pull".

6. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Hook your fingertip under the end with the gap, pull straight out away from the body of the remote, and it should pop open.

7. telemark

telemark New Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Tivo's wording: I can't open the battery cover
    The Roamio Remote has a slightly different battery cover than previous TiVo remote controls. Instead of sliding the battery cover, place a finger in the indentation at the bottom of the battery cover. Then pull the cover out away from the remote.

8. deoliveiraf

deoliveiraf New Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Thanks "L David Matheny".
    Due to my compulsive nail biting, I was able to just another tool and it popped right open.
    Thanks!!

9. Balzer

Balzer Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Or you can do what I do several times a week it seems. Drop it off the arm of the couch onto the hardwood floor and the cover will conveniently pop off. As an added bonus, the batteries will usually spill out for you too. :)

10. opus472

opus472 Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Obviously, nobody should need to post this question. Tivo should have recognized that this is a different (unique?) configuration for the battery door and provided some instruction with the remote.

11. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    Agree. It puzzled me too. A simple little sticker saying "pull here" with an arrow is all it would take.

Reminds me of typical shrink-wrap packaging. I wish the people who design it were forced to open it.

12. wtkflhn

wtkflhn Member

May 12, 2006
    Metairie, La
    What I would suggest to open the remote door, would be to put a quarter under that lip, and twist it. The cover will pop right off.

13. opus472

opus472 Member

Jul 4, 2007
    That'd work (I used a screwdriver). The thing is, though, without any instructions it's easy to think you might just snap off the battery door and break it. Some of them are a lot tighter than others. Once you're certain that's the proper way to remove it, it's not a problem.

14. HD_Dude

HD_Dude I Want HD in my Car

Sep 11, 2006
    Washington, DC
    I also thought I was breaking it.

It's ok, and not broken, but just sayin'.