1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio Pro - The Good, the Bad & the Unkown?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by danthefan, Aug 20, 2013.

1. danthefan

danthefan New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Raleigh, NC...
    So I'm on the fence on buying the Roamio Pro. There are a lot of things to like, but quite a few things I'm disappointed aren't yet available. Here's my list of good, bad and unknown. Please add to it as you see fit.

The Good
    • New hardware should be much faster
    • 6 tuners
    • Updated interface
    • Built-in streaming capability
    • Built-in Wi-Fi support (which I don't use)

The Bad?
    • Streaming not available, yet
    • Android streaming support not available, yet
    • Windows PC streaming support not available, and no signs of it in the future
    • $600 (ouch) + $400 lifetime service (ouch) = $1000 (double ouch)
    • No THX certification?

The Unknown?
    • Will 6 channel support work with Time Warner tuning adapter in Raleigh, NC? It's unclear how many channels the tuning adapters support.
    • Will streaming be supported for Time Warner cable channels? Currently with my Premiere I can only download over-the-air channels to the TiVo Desktop. The other channels are copyright protected.
    • No Sirius XM streaming capability? (this would be a really nice addition)

What am I missing from these lists?

I'm also disappointed that TiVo won't offer better pricing for long time TiVo customers or the ability to transfer lifetime service. I've been a customer since the first 14 and 30 hour TiVo Series 1. I still own 4 TiVos, including 3 Series 2s and 1 Premiere. I know they've got to make money, but it's still disappointing.

Regards, Daniel

2. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    I wish tivo would at least reduce the price of lifetime service everytime you upgrade to a new tivo to $199.00 or less. $399.00 is too high for me therefore i wont be able to get the new roamio, which means i either keep mt premiere 2 tuner dvrs or switch to directv and get the 5 tuner genie.

3. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    Where do they make their money then? Historically, they lose money on every hardware sale except the highest end machine (average loss historically has been in the 30-40% range). They make up their lost money on the service.

4. rogmatic

rogmatic New Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Although I normally think chasing volume over margins is a bad strategy, Tivo would probably benefit by driving up sales to reduce the public's dependence on cable boxes.

5. trip1eX

trip1eX Active Member

Apr 2, 2005
    How much will the 5 tuner genie save you over 3 years compared to buying a Roamio?

6. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Nothing can change with regards to this as the cable company sets the restrictions. Streaming will work of course and downloads or MRV will be disabled for most channels on TWC.

7. NYHeel

NYHeel Active Member

Oct 7, 2003
    I don't know about the Roamio line, but supposedly, they had gotten their subsidies way down on the Premiere line. I believe it was at the point that the Premiere 4 and XL4 were not actually subsidized.

8. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    Yes, absolutely. This last year (2013 fiscal year) was the lowest subsidy that I remember since they started to build their own hardware. But it was still almost 20% when averaged over all their units. I expect that number to go up for a year or two with the new hardware line.

9. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008

• Streaming is really broad- I suggest that you explain this a bit better for your readers. I *assume* you mean outside of the wifi environment, but someone coming in clean to this may completely misunderstand what you are saying.

10. josborne

josborne New Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Anyone with TWC knows they lock down pretty much all shows so when the TIVO Streamer came out the only thing it could do in my household is just that, streaming to an iPhone or iPad. The killer feature that most would want it for is the ability to take content on the go which TWC doesn't allow because of it's copy protection. I am curious if you will be able to stream TWC copy protected shows outside the home....that would be interesting, but still not as conveniant as being able to put the content on your portable device.

11. Grakthis

Grakthis New Member

Oct 4, 2006

They don't lock down broadcast shows. I mean, i'm not discounting your complaint, but roughly 60% of what I watch is broadcast.

12. zgamer

zgamer New Member

Oct 12, 2007
    WI

That was the nice thing about analog cable, portability.

The trick with going OTA + online content is finding the content you want. Outside of live sports most content is available online these days...just with Roamio would allow us to access it natively.

13. randywalters

randywalters AVS Old Timer

Oct 21, 2003
    El Segundo,...
    No Antenna tuner. Completely kills any chance of me buying one.

14. bayern_fan

bayern_fan New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    The Good: Built-in MoCa

15. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    That is what the base unit is for... 4 tuners, no waiting!

16. Davisadm

Davisadm TiVo is awesome!!!!!

Jan 18, 2008
    SoCal
    If the FCC didn't have a mandate that broadcast programs have to be free of copy protection, TWC would lock those too. They are the worst copy-protection abusers.

17. Leon WIlkinson

Leon WIlkinson TiVo Gone Wild

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town
    On the main TiVo page it says "from the backyard.to the car. to 3500 feet away" which you can watch your recording.

That wireless card inside must be a little beast, .66 miles is huge for wifi. :D

18. George Cifranci

George Cifranci Viva La Tivo!

Jan 30, 2003
    Columbus,...
    The bad: No HDMI-CEC support.

19. randywalters

randywalters AVS Old Timer

Oct 21, 2003
    El Segundo,...
    Well they screwed that up too - unlike my S3 the Roamio only only has one RF input and it's tuner is unable to simultaneously tune both my antenna channels AND my cable channels like i do seamlessly with my S3. I use both sources equally every day. Man this is such a letdown.

20. bucm4sko24wle2mi

bucm4sko24wle2mi New Member

Aug 16, 2009
    True, but I respectfully submit that asking price is still steep, IMHO.