1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio Pro + Mini - which to install first

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Lrscpa, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Lrscpa

Lrscpa New Member

Apr 20, 2003
    I'm replacing an XL4/Stream/HD with a Roamio and a Mini.

Thinking I should hook up the Mini to the existing XL4 and then add the Roamio, move shows from XL4 to Roamio, and then decommission the XL4.

Thoughts?

2. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    I would do that completely the other way. Get the Roamio set up and the shows transferred and then link the mini. Why link it twice?

3. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    I agree. OP is going to make things much more painful than they need if they set up on XL4 and then migrate to Roamio. Just set the Roamio up first and point the Minis to the Roamio the 1st time they are set up.

4. Lrscpa

Lrscpa New Member

Apr 20, 2003
    Thanks all.

That being said, what I think I will do is pull the cable card from the XL4 and put it into the Roamio, get it bound, etc.

Am I correct in assuming that I can transfer shows from the XL4 to the Roamio without a cablecard?

5. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Yes that is not a problem as long as both units are on the network and have active TiVo service.

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Actually doing it the way you said would be fine. You can easily change the host of the Mini at any time. It's a simple menu option, no need to repeat setup or anything.

7. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    I had several little snafu's that I ran into when I moved my Minis from XL4 to Roamio, they really had a hard time acknowledging the Roamio until I did several service calls on them.

Additionally if you use the XL4 as your MoCA bridge, then you might have a bit of a network problem initially with the Minis when you change this to the Roamio as in my case the Minis did not automatically pick up the new MoCA host bridge.

8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Those are account problems and would have happened whether your Mini was paired to the XL4 or you were setting it fresh. Unfortunately these account problems happen and they effect the Mini more then they do other TiVo devices.

I have personally flopped my Mini back and forth between my XL4 and Roamio several times and never once had a problem. But my account is old and all of these devices have been linked to it for a long time. New devices can be a bit more of a problem.