1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio Pro Black Screen on FWD

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by showpony, Jul 18, 2014.

1. showpony

showpony New Member

Mar 5, 2005
    Michigan
    I am having a problem with my new Roamio Pro. When I Fast forward through a recorded show or use the 30-second skip, the screen will go black so I can't see the images on the screen to know when to stop fast forwarding. This happens about 50% of the time when I use either of these two features.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a cure for this? Btw, I am still running the 20.4.1 level software if that might make a difference.

2. aristoBrat

aristoBrat Active Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Va Beach, VA
    I haven't experienced that (or recall seeing any other threads about it).

That would drive me crazy -- I'm always FF'ing through stuff.

Hope you get it solved soon!

3. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Have you rebooted?

4. showpony

showpony New Member

Mar 5, 2005
    Michigan
    No reboot yet. I'm scheduled to get the 20.4.2 update tonight so it will reboot then. I'll let you all know how it turns out. Thanks for the feedback all!!!!

5. Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

Jun 4, 2012
    I see the same thing over here on occasion, hasn't bothered me too much as I skip several 30 second increments at once.

if it matters, mine is a Roamio plus connected to Verizon FiOS

6. showpony

showpony New Member

Mar 5, 2005
    Michigan
    iI was upgraded to the 20.4.2 summer update last night, so I figure there was a reboot involved with that. I still have the problem. I am going to contact service to see if I can escalate this. I'll report back and let you all know how it goes.

7. showpony

showpony New Member

Mar 5, 2005
    Michigan
    Sorry for the late update. Here is what I was told:

Basically, I went into setup and checked my signal strength, which was at 100%. TiVo only reports up to 100% but it could be higher than that. What was recommended was that I place an in-line signal attenuator on my coax connection to try and get the signal to drop to somewhere between 80-99%. Apparently, when the signal strength shows 100%, this is a known issue. Start with a 6dB attenuator and then move to 10dB-16dB if that doesn't get you into that "happy zone". I had to RMA my Roamio Pro for another issue so we'll see if the new one has the same issue with that same signal strength. I'll let you know when I know. Hope this helps someone out!

8. showpony

showpony New Member

Mar 5, 2005
    Michigan
    FYI. It's now several months later, with a new TiVo from the RMA and the condition seems to have corrected itself for the most part. Using the 6dB attenuator has cut my signal strength to 97% and this has helped a lot. However, it should be said that there are some instances when the 30 second skip does go to black still. I notice it most when a commercial comes on that is of a different resolution than the event that I am watching. Mostly, sporting events. For instance, it happens a TON when watching the UFC on Fox Sports 1 or when watching the Detroit Tigers games on Fox Sports Detroit.
    I guess this problem has more to do with the signal coming in from the channels and not the TiVo itself.
    Hopefully you might find the attenuator trick helpful to combat it a little. Good luck!