1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio/Premiere streaming

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Elgato54, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Elgato54

Elgato54 New Member

Sep 21, 2010
    I just upgraded from a Premiere to a Roamio Plus. I moved the Cable Card to the Roamio.
    I would like to use the Premiere as a remote box. I know I can view the recorded shows on the Roamio but is there a way to view live TV from the Roamio? The Premiere no longer has a cable card so it would be nice to steal a tuner from the Roamio the way I assume the Mini does.

Thanks

2. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    No, you can't do it directly.

If there's a particular show you want to watch live, you should be able to set up a recording for it on the Roamio, and then stream the recording on the Premiere (while it's still being recorded.)

3. Elgato54

Elgato54 New Member

Sep 21, 2010
    I love Tivo's and they get most things right. This is just another really basic obvious thing they missed.

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Sell the Premiere and buy a Mini. A Mini is only $86 on Amazon. Although it's $5/mo for service or $150 for lifetime.

5. Elgato54

Elgato54 New Member

Sep 21, 2010
    That's what I originally planned until I saw the absolutely unreasonable total cost for the Mini. Somehow I thought there was a MSD discount for the Mini.
    It looks like Premieres with Lifetime are going for around $400 on Ebay.

The Mini can both stream recordings and make use of the tuners in the Roamio, correct? However it currently does not support dynamic tuner allocation but may in the future?

Have they ever offered a sale price on Mini Lifetime?

Is Slingbox a reasonable alternative?

Thanks again.

6. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    A Mini with lifetime is $86 + $150, so all in $236. You should be able to sell your Premiere for more and actually walk away ahead.

The Mini can both stream from the Roamio and borrow a tuner for live TV. And the tuner allocation IS dynamic. Always has been for the Roamio and for Premiere units they just recently started sending out an update that adds it.

I've never seen any sort of discount on lifetime service for a Mini. However it's already significantly cheaper then lifetime for a TiVo. ($150 vs $400)

No a Slingbox is not a good alternative to a Mini.

7. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Yes it uses dynamic tuner allocation now. I complained about my numerous V53/58 errors and they gave me $50 off each mini lifetime cost. I wouldn't say Slingbox is a true alternative as it will hijack your source box.

Edit: damn Dan, you always beat me to the punch!

8. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    The original Premiere was invented before TiVo developed/deployed the thin client option. I wouldn't expect it to be able to behave like a Mini in the first place let alone like a thin client/thick client hybrid of some sort.

And....how can can one characterize a thin client box with lifetime access to the network for the price of a moderately expensive dinner for four as "absolutely unreasonable"?

9. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The tuner borrowing is all software, so I'm sure they could make that work on an actual TiVo if they wanted, but it would be confusing from a user perspective as the TiVo has it's own tuners so why would it need to borrow one from another TiVo?