1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio Plus streaming problems

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by hornmustang, Sep 12, 2013.

1. hornmustang

hornmustang New Member

Sep 12, 2013
    I have a Roamio Plus. I can stream to the ipad and iphone apps for only a few minutes (less than 10) before the stream stops. After the stream stops, I get a message in the app that no streaming device is found on the network. After waiting a few minutes the streaming device is once again found, and I can stream for another few minutes before it freezes up again. It seems to me like the streaming device is dropping off my network intermittently for some reason. I have the Roamio hardwired to my router (Airport Extreme). I have read about some people having problems with "green" switches, but I do not have switch in my network only the router. I have restarted both the router and Roamio multiple times but this does not help. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    There were a few people who had this problem with the standalone Stream. Usually it turned out to be defective and had to be exchanged. Since this one is built in you may have to exchange the whole TiVo. :(

3. DCIFRTHS

DCIFRTHS I dumped SDV / cable

Jan 6, 2000
    New York
    I wonder is this has anything to do with the problems people are seeing with the TiVo Mini. Thread here.

I know that you are having a more severe problem, but the disconnects are the same...

4. hornmustang

hornmustang New Member

Sep 12, 2013
    I spoke with William at Tivo. He had me power cycle the modem, router, and roamio. We then forced the Tivo to call home. After this process I still had the same problems. He then had me reinstall the iPad app. But still had the same problems after reinstalling the app. My case has now been escalated, and I am supposed to hear back from Tivo within 7 days. William was nice and we spent ~30 minutes on the phone, but I am disappointed that there is no resolution at this time.

5. PHeadland

PHeadland New Member

Mar 29, 2005
    San Mateo, CA
    Newer Airport Extremes have "green" ports. Your symptoms sound exactly like the ones people with "green" switches are seeing. Someone on the "Internet and TiVO Service connection problems" is also having problems with an Airport Extreme.

6. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Do you have documentation on any Airport Extreme having a "green" port? I'm not aware of ANY Airport router ever having a "green" port on it.

-Kevin

7. PHeadland

PHeadland New Member

Mar 29, 2005
    San Mateo, CA
    Apple doesn't like to bother its customers with technical details! :)

When I researched this over the weekend, I found an article saying that a firmware upgrade enabled Ethernet power saving features. That was backed up by output from some sort of protocol analyzer. I did not keep the link and now I can't find it again. :(

8. wildcattdw

wildcattdw New Member

Sep 15, 2013
    hornmustang,

I was having a similar issue with my Roameo, well similar symptoms anyway. I exchanged the unit yesterday after troubleshooting on my own, then doing a support call with some good information on what I was seeing. Here's what I did...

From the iPad app, hit the gear up on the header bar, and select Streaming Setup. There is an option for "Full System Info" or something along that line that will open Safari on the iPad and give you a web page with the TiVo Stream System Information. I then opened that page on my laptop and monitored that while testing. I would also run a continuous ping to each iPad (I was testing on two) the IP address of the Stream (the IP for the Stream System Info) the TiVo itself, and my default gateway/router.

I started streaming a show to each iPad, and after 6 - 8 minutes, I would lose the ping to the Stream, the web page would show Streaming State as OFFLINE, and both iPads would stop. That lead me to believe, in my case, that the Stream application was likely the culprit. The main IP for the Roameo, my default gateway, and the iPads never dropped a ping.

I phoned TiVo Support, and we performed a number of troubleshooting steps, nothing we all haven't done a few times (reset Roameo, reset cable modem, reset router, validate connections, etc) and once we had streaming working again, he told me if I had any other problems, he suggested an exchange of the Roameo. 5 minutes after the call, it happened again. A quick drive to the Mall of America and I was setting up a new Roameo.

Once I got everything (almost everything, I'm one of the many with problems getting a second Mini to work) working again, I streamed DWTS(HD) in its entirety, then several 30 minute shows I recorded just to test. So far, so good and I am hopeful I have the problem licked.

T

9. hornmustang

hornmustang New Member

Sep 12, 2013
    It does indeed seem like our problems are the same. I also see that the stream goes offline when looking at the stream settings in my browser. I didn't ping all the devices like you did, but I don't think my iPad is dropping off the network. Glad to know a new unit fixed this problem. I am still waiting for a call back from Tivo:( I bought my unit from Weakness, so unfortunately I can't just take it back to the mall.

10. apw2607

apw2607 New Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Are you talking about the latest version of the extreme or all versions. I'm using the last version before the new updated hardware and have had no issues with the Roamio hard wired to the extreme.

11. hornmustang

hornmustang New Member

Sep 12, 2013
    So following up on the ideas that wildcat shared, I ran a continuous ping to both my ipad and the roamio stream ip address while streaming. I never loss ping to the ipad. But I lose ping to the roamio stream ip address. When I lose the ping, I obviously also lose video in the ipad app.

12. hornmustang

hornmustang New Member

Sep 12, 2013
    On other thing, while streaming the temperature gets quite hot at ~60 C. When not streaming it seems like the roamio is running around 45 C. Is this temperature increase normal during streaming?

13. mike1273

mike1273 New Member

Feb 29, 2004
    My brand new Roamio streams to my jailbroken iPhone but not my iPad3. It will stream to my wife's standard iPad4.

14. hornmustang

hornmustang New Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Update - Spoke with TiVo again today. They were supposed to contact me within a week, but I had to call them back. The rep said my problem had been escalated to a researcher, but they are going to ship me a new box. Fingers crossed it fixes my problems.

15. metavoy

metavoy New Member

Sep 24, 2013
    I am having the exact same problem with my Roamio Plus connected via Ethernet to an Airport Extreme. Looking forward to a fix

16. hornmustang

hornmustang New Member

Sep 12, 2013
    I received the replacement box from Tivo and all is good!

Now if could just get the firmware on my Cisco cablecard from Comcast updated to allow for 6 tuners, I would be completely satisfied with my Roamio.

17. pricebri

pricebri New Member

Jan 21, 2014
    Anyone find a fix beyond replacing the Device? I have a brand new Roamio hard wired to a gigabit home network/router and when streaming over wireless to an iPad it works great for about 10 min and then stops. Screen just looks paused, but will not restart. Exit the Tivo App on the iPad and restart watching the show and it resumes where it stopped and goes for about another 10 min....

18. sirfergy

sirfergy New Member

May 18, 2002
    Plus one to this question, I have the exact same symptoms.

19. trueblue

trueblue New Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Another plus one. Same exact thing.

20. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Active Member

Apr 16, 2012
    I have similar issues on my iPhone 4s. Video would stream for about ~10 minutes then freeze. The streaming device would continue to stream from what I could tell (the counters on the system info page would continue to increment indicating it was sending data buy my phone was not recognizing it). That soured me a bit on streaming so I haven't used it very much on my iPad Air, but I don't remember it stopping like it did on my phone. Maybe it would if I streamed more? :)

The iPhone 4s is connecting to my router via 2.3Ghz G. The iPad Air is connecting to the same router via 5Ghz N.