1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio plus OOH download issues

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by Time_Lord, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Nov 6, 2013 #1 of 27
    Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

Jun 4, 2012
    Trying to download a program stored on my TiVO to my iPad mini (running ios 6) with the TiVO app that was just updated yesterday (Nov 6).

I can start the download but after about 5 minutes or so the download simply pauses, I have to then restart the download and it again will work for about 5 minutes and pause again.

Anybody else seeing this behavior?

-TL

2. Nov 6, 2013 #2 of 27
    bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Question - who is your internet/cable provider?

How is streaming playback? Does your video stream regularly freeze streaming locally?

3. Nov 6, 2013 #3 of 27
    Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

Jun 4, 2012
    works fine at home, no issues at all although transfers could be faster but that's another issue, ISP is Verizon FiOS,speed is 50/25.

Streaming OOH works, the quality is about 1/3 to 1/2 scale but seems to work without any issues. (no freezes or pausing)

-TL

4. Nov 6, 2013 #4 of 27
    bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I am just stitching together very flimsily threads...

I am experiencing what I can only diagnose as the IOS app temporarily disconnecting from the Stream. It happens during both internal and external viewing and I have had downloads fail as well. Not 100% of the time, but often enough.

I am not sure if any of this is connected - I am also on FIOS, but I am not sure that makes any difference either.

5. Nov 6, 2013 #5 of 27
    Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

Jun 4, 2012
    As I said in my house it works fine, I did initially have problems with disconnections in my house but that was due to the Roamio attempting to use both WiFi and Ethernet at the same time. There are some threads regarding this on the Roamio board along with what appears to be a valid work around.

-TL

6. Nov 8, 2013 #6 of 27
    tedmundson

tedmundson New Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Nutley, NJ
    I have a standalone Stream and I am seeing this issue also I am on FIOS with a 75/35 circuit

7. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Just trying OOH downloads today and seeing the same thing. Every few minutes the download just stops and I have to resume it.
    I tried streaming and the quality was pretty awful. The WiFi connection I'm using is not great but better than you find in most hotels, so looks like streaming is out of the question. On same WiFi connection, using Slingbox yields a MUCH better video quality, but the control lags for Slingbox is annoying.

The Stream download quality is much, much better and you can let it download for a while before you start watching for uninterrupted better quality watching. However this download pausing issue looks to be a PITA meaning you have to keep babysitting the downloads. So far for a 1 hour download I've already had to resume download 4 times for 1/3 of the show (which works out to about a pause every 5 mins).

8. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Watching the downloads I see that every 5 mins or so I get a "Reconnecting" message in the iOS App which then switches the App over to My Shows page on the DVR instead of on the App. At that point the download then pauses. So it looks to me like perhaps there's an inactivity timer set to 5 minutes that is being used when in OOH mode.

9. Devx

Devx New Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    That may be true on the inactivity timer but its inconsistent then. I checked one of my previous results on OOH downloading (via LTE) and I also received disconnects roughly every 5 minutes or so but it wasn't consistently every 5 minutes. Sometimes there was a longer time span between the disconnect.

I'll add that streaming from my home internet via LTE using another app, such as AirVideo, doesn't exhibit any such problems or frequent disconnects. I can often watch for an hour with only one pause and the app can usually resume on its own after ~2-3 secs.

It's very interesting that over the same connection the Sling was able to deliver a better experience.

We need the update from Tivo to remove their proxy server as a variable. Based on my own experiences and reading posts from others, I believe the Tivo proxy is causing issues, for some more than others.

10. JonHB

JonHB New Member

Aug 27, 2007
    I'm having the exact same issue. I just used a timer on it and for the couple of disconnects that I timed, they were within 2-3 seconds of the 5 minute mark. There's definitely some timer controlling this.

11. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Yes it looks to be intentional to me. Note that I didn't try interacting with the App while it was downloading, other than of course re-starting the download every time it stopped. If it is an inactivity timer then presumably interacting with the App while it's downloading should prevent timeouts from happening. Perhaps watching the program while it downloads is enough to prevent these timeouts from happening?

If it is indeed a timeout then there should be an option to change it or disable it...

12. JonHB

JonHB New Member

Aug 27, 2007
    I'm watching a show at work right now on my iPad while it is downloading and it is still stopping every 5 minutes. I've even tapped the "Done" option while watching, then restarted viewing and the download portion will still stop in 5 minutes. Pretty annoying.

13. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    That's just ridiculous then. Surely can't have been intentionally designed to do that? Streaming quality was so terrible I didn't try it much, but I presume streaming is not doing this timeout thing too is it?

P.S. I want your job!

14. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Maybe instead of inactivity timer there's some code that automatically refreshes the My Shows list every 5 minutes and that is not being turned off when an OOH download is happening. I don't have the problem for in home downloads, so there is something different about OOH downloads triggering this problem.

15. JonHB

JonHB New Member

Aug 27, 2007
    Been watching a streaming episode of Leno for about 10 mins and no issues with stopping. The other ones that were pausing were each about 800 MB downloads that I had started at home, then let finish at work. I was downloading this way because it is much better quality than streaming.

Honestly, I'd prefer work was much busier so I couldn't watch shows!

16. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    OK, so OOH streaming doesn't suffer from the pausing issue, but OOH downloads do. That's too bad as streaming quality is not good enough for me. I just again compared OOH streaming to my iPad Air vs Slingbox client on my iPad Air and the Sling quality was vastly superior, so OOH streaming is useless as far as I'm concerned.

17. JonHB

JonHB New Member

Aug 27, 2007
    Another interersting issue while I'm thinking about it... There were several slight pauses and jumps during playback of the downloaded shows. I wonder if these were artifacts stored in the download file from the frequent pausing. I do not recall having that issue on any of the downloads I did while I was at home.

18. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Yes I noticed that as well, and I suspect it is related to resuming downloads at slightly incorrect time points.

19. geekmedic

geekmedic TiVo Fanatic TCF Club

Apr 4, 2003
    Atlanta, GA USA
    The OOH download feature has major bugs. Pauses every few minutes, unable to complete a download while running in the background, etc. Basically it hijacks your ipad and requires you to be present to resume the download every few minutes. Might as well stream it live since you have to attend to it anyway.

20. JonHB

JonHB New Member

Aug 27, 2007
    I didn't take my ipad home last night, so I couldn't download shows on the local LAN. I'm now trying to do them from work, but getting the damned timeout every 5 minutes!! :( How did this bug get by QA?

Yeah, I really don't get why it can't download in the background. That is a major shortcoming also.