1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio Plus - All tuners on same channel

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by kbmb, Sep 16, 2013.

1. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Any idea why this morning, all 6 tuners on my Roamio Plus were tuned to the same channel?

It didn't reboot overnight as far as I know....the DVR Diagnostics Cable Card Time since OOB tune start was 146000 seconds.

-Kevin

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Do you record suggestions? That will also cause all tuners to be on the same channel.

3. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Yes I do record suggestions. Ah, so this will reset all tuners?

-Kevin

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Someone else posted in another thread that when the suggestion is finished recording, it puts the tuner on the last channel you had it on. So if suggestions are recording on all six tuners, they will end up on the same channel.

5. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Interesting. Thanks for the info. I'll have to watch and see what it continues to do. Weird thing was the channel it had all the tuners on, I wasn't watching....it's a low def sundance channel.

I more just wanted to make sure it didn't reboot.....and the diagnostics info seems to confirm that.

-Kevin

6. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    I've seen as many as 3 tuners tuned to the same channel but not recording.

7. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Yeah, none were recording this morning....all just tuned to 201.

-Kevin

8. anthonymoody

anthonymoody New Member

Apr 29, 2008
    Funny this is what was happening with me yesterday though I'm pretty sure I told it not to record suggestions. I created another thread about switching bt 2 channels but not getting any buffer. Turns out TiVo was using a single tuner bt the 2 channels. Every other tuner was on the same channel, one that I watch but not one that was recording. And like I said I'm pretty sure I set it not to record suggestions. Hmm. I will double check that.

Okay: Confirmed I am not recording suggestions.

I find this default behavior - where it uses one tuner to change channels unless the other channel you're going to is already on another tuner - bassackwards.

IMO, it should use all tuners that are not otherwise recording something you've specified to change channels. It should do so FIFO style sequentially.

So for example, if you're not recording anything, you should be able to change to six different channels before losing a buffer on any of them. On the 7th channel change, if to a 7th channel, the very first channel you tuned would drop off the list, replaced by the 7th.

I guess (hope?) some thought was given to this by TiVo and that there is some logic to the default they set, but I can't figure it.

9. LionelHutz590

LionelHutz590 New Member

Jul 25, 2014
    I just upgraded to the Roamio Plus and have noticed the same issue. I'm not recording suggestions either. Anyone heard any info on this?

10. eboydog

eboydog Just TiVo'ing.....

Mar 23, 2006
    Are you sure your TiVo didn't reboot? With or without suggestions, the only time I see all tuners on the same channel is after a reboot. Perhaps you received the summer update 20.4.2.

11. mwacosta

mwacosta New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    I found the tuners on my Roamio all tuned to the same channel at least three times since the upgrade to 20.4.2. I don't record suggestions so I don't really see this happen unless the Roamio reboots. I've never seen this many reboots in such a short period of time for any previous versions of the software. It's probably a bug in 20.4.2.

12. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    For anyone wondering if the Roamio rebooted, just go into the DVR diagnostics and check the Time Since OOB Tune Start, it'll be in seconds and can give you a good idea on if it rebooted itself.

I still get this behavior on both Tivos, but I do have suggestions turned on. I was diagnosing another issue recently where I turned suggestions off, and the channel didn't auto change then.

-Kevin

13. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I do have suggestions turned on, even though I effectively never watch them.. Even _with_ a free space meter nowadays, I just can't quite give up the extra bit of info that "it's recording suggestions, so it really thinks there is free space".. (If we could power DOWN a tivo that wasn't recording _my_ shows, then I would gladly give up suggestions... but it's on already..)

Anyway, yeah, I notice this.. The only times I regularly use live TV buffering is for CNN and sometimes CSPAN (as a backup when CNN has lame shows on), to listen to as background noise.. and in the morning I VERY often find MANY if not all tuners on CNN or CSPAN.

14. LionelHutz590

LionelHutz590 New Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Checked that and it says it was about 3 hours ago (10,885 seconds). Also checked software version and it's only saying 20.4.1.

15. Ben_Jamin75

Ben_Jamin75 New Member

Dec 18, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    I always thought this was tivo's way of reducing hard drive wear and tear etc.
    Normally all 4 (or 6) tuners are actively tuned, sending four (or six) streams to the hard drive to buffer. If all of the tuners are set the the same channel, I would assume it is only maintaining one buffer.

16. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Nope, it's definitely a separate buffer.. or at least it *CAN* be a separate buffer.. I have had CNN starting at 8:00 on one tuner, and go back to (made up #) 7:42 on another tuner.. It changed channels after a different recording finished.

(I give the "or at least it *CAN*" case, since I could IMAGINE them doing enough work to make this work.. but it seems very hard to get all of the edge cases, like I mentioned, to work properly... If they really wanted to reduce hard drive wear and tear, they'd let me turn off recording when I wasn't actively recording -- my ~10+ year old hard drive/dvd recorder does that.)

17. LoveGardenia

LoveGardenia New Member

Apr 24, 2015
    I know this is an old thread. I have a Roamio Plus which I got Monday. It's doing the same thing as the OP stated about his. I just want to know if this is a normal behavior after 2 years. I have the latest software update 20.5. It just started this Friday and I notice a freeze while watching a live show which doesn't happen often just random.

18. JoeKustra

JoeKustra Cable only

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    "Live" TV is still you watching a disk buffer. That's why pause works. If you are also having the OP issue of all tuners on the same channel, that can not be done manually. You might know if there was a power outage. You can also have this happened after a manual restart and other diagnostic. Again you would cause this. Check the TiVo box Diagnostics, near the end under cable card, for Time Since OOB Tune Start. Each tuner has its own time also.

Possible a bad HDD? I hope not.

19. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I have a Plus that routinely does the same thing, I've checked and it's not rebooting, it's weird but apparently common.

20. LoveGardenia

LoveGardenia New Member

Apr 24, 2015
    My box hasn't rebooted for over 500 minutes. 3 tuners on the same channel. 2 tuners on same channel, one of those tuners is doing a recording which I setup. The other tuner is on a different channel. There's been 2 suggestion recordings in the past 10 hrs. on different channels. I have to wonder if this is normal. The reason for stating normal is this: since midnight I have had 3 suggestions recorded on the same channel hence the 3 tuners on the same channel. The 2 tuners on the same channel is I had a suggestion recorded on that station Friday night and I setup a recording Tuesday night for today on that station.
    Another possibility, if I set up recordings for a certain movie or tv shows on a certain channel, TiVo will go through the guide for that station of upcoming shows and record a suggestion based on what I like by my recordings and watching (thumbs up or down) hence the tuners on the same station doing random suggestions.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015