1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio OTA reception?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by mr_smits, Aug 20, 2013.

1. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    I know the TivoHD had great OTA reception (so I've read) and the Premiere models did not. I'm interested in any experience early adopters have comparing OTA reception to previous Tivo models.

2. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    I am going to find out tomorrow. My Roamio just shipped from Amazon for delivery tomorrow. I only use OTA but really have no problem with my 3 Premiers tuners.

3. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Excellent.

4. troasti

troasti New Member

Nov 12, 2008
    I use my premiere with OTA. Why would I upgrade to this box? I can only upgrade to the base model with OTA. It has Amazon prime? I already have netflix and its better. All it gives me is built in wifi and 2 extra tuners? I already have hard wired ethernet.. The UI is faster? I don't think my premiere is that slow.. 200$?

5. bayern_fan

bayern_fan New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Tivo does NOT currently have Amazon Prime streaming. I hope I don't sound too harsh using caps, but I want to make sure that nobody expects it only to be disappointed later on.

6. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge New Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Gladd you did. I *almost* got a little excited for this new box.

7. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Who cares about Amazon Prime? You can just pick it up on Roku...

8. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Does the existing OTA capable Premiere work with the Stream? I forget.. I think so, but that's one other POSSIBLE thing.. (I only got a Premiere with the Premiere 4, and the differences I know of that one are built in Moca & digital-cable-only.)

9. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I do, one fewer input to switch? I don't have a Roku, but do switch to my PS3 to watch Amazon Prime Instant Video lately (watched 2 of the Bond movies so far, and am several behind on Under the Dome.. but am watching it).

If I could do it all in one box, I'd prefer it -- heck, I'd even pay a ONE TIME FEE for it to be all in one box.

10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    This is just the beginning folks. This new platform opens up all sorts of possibilities for over the top apps on TiVo. They said they are working to get more apps on the TiVo and even mentioned working on an app store. So obviously their goal is to have enough apps that they'd want people to actually have to manually pick them from a store.

That being said always buy something for what it can do now, not what it might do in the future. If it doesn't do what you want it to do now then don't buy because there is no guarantee they will ever follow through with any of this.

11. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cary, NC
    It will work with the Tivo Mini. The 2 tuner Premieres will not.

I sold my 2 tuner premiere for $500 and ordered the base roamio.

12. KrazyKiko

KrazyKiko New Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Well...I am disappointed to see that Tivo restricts choice between OTA or cable, since there is only one cable input. With our old trusty Tivo HD, at least Tivo provided two cable inputs. We have basic-basic cable, but primarily use OTA; While we do get some HD cable channels through basic-basic cable, it's helpful to switch when OTA reception stinks. I do miss not having the Premier/Roamio streaming features, as the Tivo HD stinks in this capacity. Guess I'll hope some sanity returns to Tivo's future architecture design.

13. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Who knows? This could be the last TiVo that has OTA tuners.

14. JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    In an effort to get back on topic, has anyone had a chance to compare the over the air reception ability of the base Roamio to the TiVo Premier, TiVo HD, or original OLED S3 TiVo?

Pulling in weak, distant stations a little better is a plus. Better multipath rejection than the TiVo Premiere is a must.:cool:

15. utcompeng

utcompeng New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Hey Guys, I'm happy to report the tuner is a million times better than the premier. No more issues with high signal channels interfering with low signal channels. I was able to remove a splitter I was using to downgrade my signal. The tuner is just as good as my Samsung TV...enjoy!!

16. utcompeng

utcompeng New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Also, the hulu app actually works on the Roamio. Previously I was never able to even launch the app on the premier.

17. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    I gave up on trying to keep things simple after 5th or 6th remote or something. Actually, I lost count. I think I'm around 10 remotes. I just made a schematic of the system in Excel using borders, so that my roommates know what's connected to what.

18. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Thanks for the info. How's multipath with UHF stations. The S3 was a little better than the Premiere but high VHF was a draw.

19. Chesterton

Chesterton New Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Has anyone tried roamio in a fringe location? I'm in one and concerned about splitting antenna among four tuners vs. two on my series 3 HD oled.

20. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Agree. The signal meter seems to be re calibrated though - Roamio shows a lower signal strength than the Premiere, even though the signal appears stronger.