1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio Looks

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by awsnyde, Aug 28, 2013.

1. awsnyde

awsnyde Member

May 11, 2007
    Maryland
    Don't get me wrong, I want to get the Roamio Pro to replace the Premiere Elite in the family room (with the Elite moving to the bedroom to replace the Premiere XL that is currently there, and selling off the XL; hey, once *that* happens, I'll have 10 tuners in the house capable of recording!), but does anyone else think the exterior style of the Roamio doesn't look nearly as, I don't know, "classy" as the Premiere? The Roamio is "cute", I suppose, but the Premiere just seems more stylish.

I couldn't find another thread discussing this specifically, although some have noted the cheap plastic look of the base model, so maybe I'm the only one? Also, maybe the Roamio looks better in person?

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I'm reserving judgement until I see it in person, but based on the pictures I'd agree.

3. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    With the included RF remote the Roamio can be hidden away. No need to even look at it. For me I will put it in the spot where my main Elite is rightnow. Which is easily visible from my main viewing area. I just hope the lights in front are dimmer than the Premiere boxes. Otherwise I will need to put some Light Dims on the Roamio.

4. BruceShultes

BruceShultes New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Albany, NY
    I had a Roamio Pro for a while before I had to ship it back to have it's HDMI port repaired.

I am not sure what the actual brightness of the front panel light(s) on the Pro is, but since the power and remote signal received lights are twice the diameter on the Pro than the ones on the Premiere, they are certainly much more notable.

5. HenryFarpolo

HenryFarpolo New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Andover Ma
    I have the Plus and it looks pretty sharp to me.

To Aaron, the option is there to turn off the lights if they bother you at night.

6. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I've never liked turning them off. But the Light Dims work great so they are not overly bright.

7. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    I like it. It's kind of a 50's/60's look.

8. fdisker2000

fdisker2000 New Member

Nov 26, 2006
    JBLM, WA
    To me the Roamio and Premiere product page lines are polar opposites. The Premiere is minimalistic and fits in, the Roamio is flashy and stands out. I always thought Premieres looked cheap, the Roamios look a little more high end but cheap high end.

9. Millionaire2K

Millionaire2K New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Philadelphia
    I like the look of both models.

10. zalusky

zalusky Active Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Once I switch over my Roamio will be in a closet with the Blu-ray, Receiver, and Apple TV.
    My bedroom and workout room will have Mini's that will be next to the TV.

So I really don't care how it looks. SO's don't like to see gear anyways. Even my speakers are hidden.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A4GWZuqDGWqm8q

11. Big Boy Laroux

Big Boy Laroux New Member

Oct 10, 2006
    gotta hide your components from that hairball spewing cat!

12. zalusky

zalusky Active Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I wish it worked. Nothing taking a morning stroll out of bed in the morning and doing a Jerry Lewis pratfall on a nice glob.