1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio is so over-priced (pushing ads is too much)

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by rgat, Feb 10, 2014.

1. rgat

rgat New Member

Feb 10, 2014
    I'm okay with a high-priced item. I've been a Tivo subscriber for well over a decade now. But now that Tivo is pumping ads thru the interface and continuing to charge exorbitant fees for not only the primary box but also the Mini, it has gone way too far.

Having to pay a service fee for a Mini and also having to put up with ads in the interface is disgraceful on Tivo's part.

Even Amazon gives people the option of buying without adds. Tivo has really sunk to a low here.

2. WRX09MD

WRX09MD Member

Aug 24, 2013
    Im not cool with all of the ads either.

3. c133roamioerrors

c133roamioerrors New Member

Dec 28, 2013
    A monopoly has been created and I blame the cable providers. Like most people, I started recording with a vcr and when Tivo was available, I opted for a Hard drive DVR. The programming was provided by the cable company along with the content so there was no monthly fee. When my cable provider, Comcast went 100% digital the programming went away. The choice then became a Comcast DVR or a Tivo. The DVRs provided by Comcast has insufficient space for a user who wants to record a lot. A few HD sporting events eat up most of the storage. The only true option is a higher end Tivo and there is no real competition.

4. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    TiVo can only be charging exorbitant fees if another less expensive option existed, I don't see one for me (some PC DVRs may be less expensive but too much work for me). You must think of any TiVo DVR or Mini as a package, for a Mini it is $99 + $150 for lifetime or a monthly option if needed, TiVo could have put out the Mini at $250 retail but then would have a much bigger expense at the retail level as the discount to most retail outlets is about 30% to 40%, a discount TiVo does not have to give for the service part by not bundling the two together. Think the TiVo price is too high, don't purchase. note: Apple makes tones of money and TiVo has a loss so you should be complaining about the Apple pricing.

5. aristoBrat

aristoBrat Active Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Va Beach, VA
    When I bought my first TiVo in 2001, the Lifetime Service "fee" cost $249.00.

Skip ahead 13 years (to 2014), and if you adjust that 2001 amount for inflation, it comes out to $327.72. Lifetime Service nowadays costs $399.

To each their own, but TiVo having increased their fee $72 over the last decade (plus three years) doesn't really seem exorbitant to me, especially when you compare the capabilities of a TiVo Series 1 to a TiVo Roamio.

6. jbaum

jbaum New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    I agree with you, especially when you compare it to how much Time Warner has increased the cable bill.

7. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I don't *LIKE* the ads, but
    1) You get even more ads on cable boxes (at least the few times I've ever used a cable box they were FAR more plastered with ads)
    2) The ads are ABOUT as unobtrusive as possible. The ones that show up at the top of the bar thing are the only ones that start to bug me..

and I HATE commercials(*). Basically, they're a FAR FAR lesser of evils compared to the rest.

(*) The Super Bowl, and the rare 'best super bowl commercials' or 'funniest commercials ever' specials are the few times I PURPOSELY watch commercials. The rest of the year, I skip them as fast as possible, and am annoyed when I'm at a friend's house and they FF instead of 30 second skipping!!

8. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Active Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Honestly, the pop-up ads on TiVo don't really bother me at all. I just completely ignore them and almost forget they are ever there.

9. CloudAtlas

CloudAtlas New Member

Oct 29, 2013
    Since TiVo has lost money almost every year since the company started I don't think the prices are high enough. You are getting a DVR along with software updates and service for life.

How exactly is a TiVo overpriced compared to other premium luxury electronic items? I bought a $900 stereo system in 8th grade with money from a paper route so TiVo looks like a bargain comparatively.

The ads are minor. You should be so lucky that these are the type of problems you have.

10. alarson83

alarson83 Member

Oct 27, 2009
    West Des...

I don think that math necessarily works. Tivo probably loses a lot of potential customers with their high pricing.

11. DCIFRTHS

DCIFRTHS I dumped SDV / cable

Jan 6, 2000
    New York
    Unless I'm mistaken, lifetime service costs $499 for new subscribers.

12. DCIFRTHS

DCIFRTHS I dumped SDV / cable

Jan 6, 2000
    New York
    Please be more specific with the details. You get lifetime service if you pay for lifetime service, otherwise it's monthly (after a yearly commitment is completed).

Software updates, are available for only as long as TiVo decides to support the hardware. There is no guarantee that updates will be available for as long as you own the device.

I agree that TiVo is a luxury item...

What do you mean by stating "You should be so lucky that these are the type of problems you have."?

13. dahacker

dahacker Member

Jan 14, 2004
    I'm not a fan of the screen real estate used by the ads either, but there is no factual evidence that Tivo with lifetime service is more expensive than it's only real competition, the cable company DVR. In fact, time and time again it has been shown that Tivo is cheaper than everything else short of building your own WMC PC.

14. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I would like to pay less and not have ads on the menus but I haven't found anything close to this good for the same amount of money or less. I have seen no evidence TiVo makes excessive profits or that any other company can do as well for the price so I consider any claims the fees are exorbitant false. I accept the ads help pay for the TiVo service and products so I am happy to live with the ads.

15. JohnS-MI

JohnS-MI Member

Jan 25, 2014
    SE MI
    Having changed from another brand DVR (one tuner) which died, I think the hardware price of my Roamio Basic is a real bargain.

I will admit some heartburn over the $15/month for a guide, when Netflix or Amazon Prime (which Tivo doesn't even support) give me all the streaming I can eat for $7-8 a month. I think the guide service is "worth" $5 a month or $50 a year, but I admit I am pretty fond of season passes and reluctant to go back to scheduling manually. Separate subscriptions for each box also bother me/ If "lifetime" were my lifetime, not the Tivo's, and covered all the boxes on my network, I might put a Tivo on every TV. For me, it is now just on my main TV.

16. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    The $249 lifetime sub in 2001 did not include the home media options. That was an additional charge service when launched with the Series 2 boxes and now included in all subscriptions.

17. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    If you have been a subscriber for "well over a decade", then you are aware that ads have been a part of the tivo experience. Nothing new here with a Roamio.

18. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I am fairly sure no one likes ads anywhere, but we do live in a country with a capitalistic economic system and for capitalism to work you have to having marketing (ads), so I am fairly sure they are here (and everywhere) to stay.

I really don't find the ones TiVo uses intrusive at all. Given what most people pay for cable and given that I would find most channels unwatchable without a TiVo because of the adds on those channels, it doesn't seem like a bad trade off to me.

By the way if you really believe a Roamio is over priced why did you buy one?

19. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Oh, good. A thread about the ads. Surprised no one else has started one before now.

20. rgat

rgat New Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Yup, as my OP says, the insult is that they continue with exorbitant pricing on top of ads (e.g., charging a service fee for a Mini).

I've never liked the ads Tivo pushes. But I've put up with them. I've reached my limit when the exorbitant cost of Roamio with a Mini becomes what Tivo is currently asking AND the box is running ads that popup when you hit pause (as an example). It's gone too far.

I could live with a cycling ad on the Central page, and I actually like having a "page" (accessible from Tivo Central) where I can see/browse ads. This is a demarcated area where I can choose to engage with ads at my choosing, yet the ads don't insert themselves anywhere. But having ads popup (e.g., when I hit pause) is unacceptable. I'm not going to pay the exorbitant price Tivo charges if they are also running ads like this. I've been a huge fan of Tivo for a long time. It's sad to see them degrade like this. Probably the beginning of the end of the PVR.