1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio Internal Blue Light... No startup...

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by FishTail74, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Feb 8, 2014 #1 of 37
    FishTail74

FishTail74 New Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Can anyone tell me what the TiVo Roamio Internal Blue Light means ? ? ? (the INSIDE one which can be seen through the top, not the "downloading" front light one) (Current suspicion is it means "start-up prevented, due to low power", since upgraded HDD is 6.5 watts more, and power brick has only a 24 watt total rating, and maybe my house VAC is on the low end to start with)

Is this cause for concern? Something I should ignore? Return it? Suggestions?

BACKGROUND INFO: About 50% of the time when I unplug my Roamio (3 week old, OTA model, LTS, with 3TB internal WD AVGP) then plug it back in, it does not start up or show any signs of life when I press any of the remotes buttons. It will stay completely off, with only the INTERNAL blue light turned on. It will do this, regardless of the duration I leave it unplugged or plugged in. Unplug and plug in 1 or twice more, than it starts up. :confused:

2. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Happened to my wife because she got her hand near or on the power light and put the TiVo in standby mode, press the remote TiVo button and see what happens.

3. FishTail74

FishTail74 New Member

Aug 24, 2008
    No, that's not the problem, but thanks for suggesting. My problem randomly happens about 1/2 the times I unplug and then plug back in. I tried with my hand over the GREEN light, and it has no effect. Also, when in "internal blue light" mode, it does not respond to ANY remote buttons.

Any other ideas ? ? ? ?

4. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Remove the drive and test the drive with the free WD diag, if it passes the test you can tell the program to write all zeros to the drive making it blank, re-install the drive and try again, you can also put in another drive (it can be 0.5Tb or bigger) and see what happens.

5. FishTail74

FishTail74 New Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Is this general troubleshooting advice, or are you saying the blue light specifically means HDD failure? I am within the 30 day return period, but would HATE to loose my recorded shows. Note that it boots up fine 50% of the time, and has NEVER crashed or failed while running. - Thanks for the help!

6. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I have no idea what the blue light means or what it is for, I would return the unit within the 30 day time and make sure you get a new one back, not a refurb unit.

7. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    That is general troubleshooting advice. No one else (AFAIK) has reported the problem you have, much less anything about a blue light that shines from inside the box.

It is understandable if you don't want to take the hard drive out and test it with the drive manufacturer's diagnostic tool, but it sounds like your only other option is to exchange the Tivo for another one. If you do that, follow lessd's advice and demand that the replacement be new, not a refurb.

8. FishTail74

FishTail74 New Member

Aug 24, 2008
    QUESTION 1) If I do the WD Diag (without the wipe zeros) will it preserve my recorded Show & Season Passes?

QUESTION 2) If I re-install the original 0.5 TB drive as a test, then later re-re-install my 3TB drive, with the 3TB preserve all my Show & Season Passes?

QUESTION 3) If I determine the 3TB drive is bad , can I manually copy the drive's content to a new identical model 3TB and preserve my Show & Season? ...if not, what if I clone the disk as an image via Macrium Reflect's free version?

- Thanks guys, you rock!

9. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Question 1 Yes
    Question 2 Yes (if the 3Tb drives now works, but if you get a replacement TiVo you can't save the shows as the replacement would have a different TSN, requiring you to do a full C&D all on your 3Tb drive to get the Roamio to work)
    Question 3 No because if the drive is bad no way you could copy only the shows without coping the full drive to a new 3Tb drive, and that, more than likely, would include the bad sectors that are keeping the drive from booting, but a full copy may be worth your while to see what happens, as I have never been able to copy a bad TiVo drive to a good one and have it boot up.

10. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Is it known for certain that S5s are supposed to have an internal, non-front panel, light, blue or otherwise, whether it shines or not?

11. FishTail74

FishTail74 New Member

Aug 24, 2008
    I called TiVo Tech Support, and they new nothing of this internal light. But it's in there, and light up blue when it won't startup.

Any idea where I can get some info as to WHAT the light means? I'm thinking of ignoring the issue and keeping the unit. But i'm still within the 30 day return, so if the light means "your black TiVo is about to die" I want to return it ASAP.

12. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If they don't know anything about an internal light, I wonder if you aren't seeing arcing of some sort.

13. FishTail74

FishTail74 New Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Thanks for the idea, but I'm 100% sure it's an intentionally included LED. :) I'm an engineer and know an LED when I see one. With the lights dim in the room and that constant glowing LED is the only thing on, it lights up the inside of the box clear enough to read the labeling written on the circuit board. But good idea to ask.

If anyone specifically experienced this or knows WHAT the light means, please reply.

14. weathertop

weathertop No worries

Jan 24, 2003
    Short Hills, NJ
    I think that the internal blue light comes on when anyone uses a bold font.

:p

15. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Why are you unplugging it all the time? My TiVos get plugged into a UPS and don't power down ever, unless I move to a new house or something.

16. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    OK someone take the drive out of their Roamio and with the cover off plug the unit in, see if you can see any blue light, if no blue light it may mean the blue light comes on only if the MB has a problem, so then cut a run on the MB that may be easy for you to repair and see if you get the blue light. I can't do this experiment as I can't find my T10 tool. :rolleyes:

17. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Copy what shows you can off to PC, watch up everything else, and exchange it.

I've decided the blue light is the soul of the TiVo attempting to escape its body and go to heaven.

Seriously, if Tech Support at TiVo doesn't even know about an LED on the the motherboard, much less when it's supposed to come on and what it means, I don't see them being of any help with the impending problem in a month or 3 when it's too late to return the unit.

18. FishTail74

FishTail74 New Member

Aug 24, 2008
    TOPIC#1: Unplugged because was trying to pair RF remote, which seems to loose RF about 1 of every 20 button clicks when using TiVo. (then reconnects within a second or two). My concern is if this unit is a lemon, or will last long term.

TOPIC#2: I got the LTS for $300 because of an unrelated issue on a Series 2 TiVo, and the Roamio for $100 from Best Buy through a very limited promotion. So am afraid I might loose at least one of these $100 in savings if try to swap unit. But will do it if I can confirm the unit is a lemon.

TOPIC#3: Great idea! Are you sure this test would not cause any harm?

...Thank you all for the help, and humor!

19. daveak

daveak Series 3 Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    You could void your warranty if you open the box.

20. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    The OP had the box open to see the little blue light, TiVo can void your warranty if you do open the box but they don't in 99.9% of the cases, even people who change out the drive that TiVo can see by the logs can put the original back in and get their warranty. Just taking the cover off can't void the warranty under any circumstance unless you call TiVo and tell them "I just took the cover off Ha Ha" as who would know if the cover came off. Taking the drive out and powering up the TiVo would send out any message to TiVo, but I only once powered up a Series 2 without a drive as I forgot to connect the power cable (my bad) no harm came of that.