1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio features that will (apparently) make their way to Premieres

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Fofer, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Fofer

Fofer XenForo Rocks! TCF Club

Oct 29, 2000
    Going through the FAQs here, I see:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(highlighting added by me.)

"Functionality is exactly the same," eh? So does this mean a 2-Tuner Premiere, along with a TiVo Stream (both of which I have,) will eventually allow me to do streaming away from home as well? Fingers crossed.

I also note this, and the curious wording:

[​IMG]

That the note specifically mentions both TiVo Premiere as well as Premiere 4 Tuner makes me think that perhaps, now with dynamic tuner allocation, that a 2-Tuner Premiere might be able to connect to a TiVo Mini. Yes, I realize that they may be talking about one Premiere doing Multi-Room Streaming with another Premiere. But that this FAQ doesn't specifically note that a 4-Tuner Premiere is required to work with a Mini, makes me wonder, hopefully, if that is no longer a valid requirement.

Oh TiVo, please, don't screw this up for us. We've been disappointed for too long and I'm not going to buy a whole new TiVo (and deal with failing at transferring over my library of recordings) just to get features we should have had from the start.

2. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Yes, the Stream uses the exact same transcoding chip that is used in the Roamio Plus and Pro models. The Tivo Stream will continue being a viable platform and will maintain feature parity with the integrated streaming chips in the newer Roamio.

In fact, the reviewers who tested the out of home streaming used the TiVo Stream with a special update that enabled it.

3. Fofer

Oct 29, 2000
    That's good to hear. I have no plans to upgrade to a Roamio but if its release means my 2-Tuner Premiere with 2TB drive + TiVo Stream gets new features (outside streaming, and perhaps, compatibility with a TiVo Mini) then I'm a happy camper!

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I wouldn't count on the compatibility with the Mini. The Mini was advertised heavily as requiring a 4 tuner TiVo, it was even printed on the box. So even with dynamic tuner allocation they may decide to hold the line on that one to entice people to upgrade.

Although I hope I'm wrong. I have a 4 tuner TiVo, but my wife is the one who uses the Mini most often and she has her own 2 tuner Premiere. It would be nicer for her if I could pair the Mini with her 2 tuner instead of it having to be paired to mine and then her having to go an extra menu deep to watch her shows.

5. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    It's likely that the Mini will still require a 4 Tuner TiVo DVR to pair to. The relaxing of the language is probably due to the fact that TiVo no longer offers any DVRs that have less than 4 tuners, so they don't need to specify that anymore.

6. Fofer

Oct 29, 2000
    I wonder if the Premieres will get the DIAL (ie: Chromecast) ability that the Roamio has, too.

7. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Highly unlikely, that requires the Opera Browser HTML5 framework and I can almost guarantee you that will not get within 100 yards of the Premiere.

8. Johncv

Johncv Active Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    Why?

9. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Because the Premiere is a 3 year old device running an incredibly slow processor that can't possibly be tasked with running a browser. It couldn't even run the Flash UI well and that was designed and released with the Premiere.

HTML 5 has some significant CPU requirements, and the Roamio line satisfies those requirements, the Premiere does not.

10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I agree. We wont see any of the HTML5 based stuff back ported to the Premiere.

11. Fofer

Oct 29, 2000
    I guess the question really being asked then is, why does DIAL (essentially, the slinging of a URL for MP4-based video streaming from the receiver device) require an HTML5 framework?

12. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I wonder what "Coming Soon" means in terms of real-world time intervals. This is TiVo we're talking about, remember.

13. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I would think they would want to port the HTML5 apps to the Premier line. Is there a technical reason to prohibit that?

14. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It doesn't require it. But the current AdobeAir based apps would all need to be updated to support it individually. TiVo hasn't really had the best luck with keeping those apps up to date which is why they are switching to HTML5 in the first place. With HTML5 the developers can reuse the same app for multiple platforms so it's much more likely to get updated.

15. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The CPU in the Premiere doesn't have enough horsepower to run the browser needed to run HTML5 apps. The only reason it can even run the Flash apps is because there is a special part of the CPU designed specifically to run Flash, and even that is terrible.

16. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Nice thread. I think it is time to put lifetime on my unused HD and sell it with my lifetime HDLX. The S3 technology needs to be replaced.

17. Fofer

Oct 29, 2000
    Right, I get that, but DIAL (the protocol behind Chromecast) isn't a front-facing app per se, it is a service running in the background. It merely needs to be running invisibly (like a daemon,) advertising its availability to the Chrome instances (and iOS/Android apps) on the network, so they can cast to it.

That being said, this is TiVo, and all bets are off when it comes to "what new features from Roamio make their way to the old Premiere line?" It's entirely feasible (and likely) that we'll get NOTHING.

Me, I'd be happy if all I got was the ability to use my Premiere and Stream outside the house.

If I could use a Mini with my 2-tuner Premiere, I'd be over the moon, but I'm not holding my breath.

18. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    So one thing I'm not 100% sure on yet. Is it really only out-of-home *streaming* or is it streaming OR downloading?

Even within my house, I *usually* download a show, so I have faster skip around ability (but I then often watch the show WHILE it's downloading too). I do streaming sometimes.

I don't have a citation at the moment, but it seemed like I remember earlier reading different reviews disagreeing with each other about whether you could download outside the home or not.

19. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I suppose that surprises me - I know flash is a resource hog so I expected that it would handle the HTML apps better then the flash apps...

I know the processor performance is just below the iPhone 3GS.

When trying to open an App Store (or any individual app), the number of units deployed is a huge driver.

[​IMG]

20. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    I think the downloading would be dependent on whether or not the copyright bit is set, no different the the current limitations within the home. So it is both.