1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio Channel Limitation?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Marconi, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Marconi

Marconi TiVo Junkie

Sep 8, 2001
    Page, AZ USA
    When I mentioned to the office manager at the local Cable One office that I had a new Roamio on the way, I was told "The Roamio will only get channels 2-56 in a cable system with Digital Simulcast, which we do not yet offer in Page. We’ve just recently learned of this new development with TiVo. I was told, by a customer, that TiVo doesn’t mention this in their product description of the Roamio."

It doesn't make sense to me. They don't yet offer Digital Simulcast but the Roamio will only get 2-56 if they did?

Any idea what she was trying to tell me?

2. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    I'm guessing what is trying to be conveyed here is that channels 2-56 are only broadcast as Analog. The Roamio line received a waiver from the FCC and does not include analog tuners. If the Cable One system in your area is in fact still analog for 2-56 without digital simulcast, you would be unable to watch those channels on the Roamio since it it Digital Cable only.

3. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    The the Premiere Elite/4/4XL and all the Roamio boxes only can receive digital channels. They cannot receive analog channels. Many cable providers that still use analog channels will "simulcast" in digital as well. It appears that your provider doesn't. If those channels are important to you (and there is no HD version of them), then you would lose the content completely with a Roamio.

4. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    So ask your cable company when they plan to move into the 21st Century.

5. Marconi

Marconi TiVo Junkie

Sep 8, 2001
    Page, AZ USA
    Never mind. What she meant is that the content on existing channels 2-56 (which are analog) will only be available to me when they simulcast those channels in digital.

6. Marconi

Marconi TiVo Junkie

Sep 8, 2001
    Page, AZ USA
    For analog, I have S2 and THD TiVos.

7. Marconi

Marconi TiVo Junkie

Sep 8, 2001
    Page, AZ USA
    What, and have to retire my three Series 2 boxes?!?

20th Century Forever!

(Well, until my S2s die or get retired.)

8. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    If you are good with having a split solution seems fine then.
    A quick look at the line up and it looks like you would lose:
    2, 4, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 21, 23, 27, 28, 29, 31, 32, 34, 35, 37, 39, 40, 41, 47, 48, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56
    None of those have an HD equivalent. There are some deal breaker channels in there for me.

I agree that it stinks that your cable co is so far behind. There are a lot of other ones that have as many if not more analogs, but have all of them simulcast in digital.

If you want a single box solution, the newest box that would do that is the regular 2-tuner Premiere or Premiere XL. You could also pick up a used TivoHD.

You seem fine with a split box solution, so you can definitely just do that...
    That would be a no go for me as the Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF) would be extremely low.