1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio busted? Massive artifacting

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Punker1234, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Punker1234

Punker1234 New Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Good evening everyone.

I think I'm going to be sad, but I think my Roamio is a bust. I've had it 3 weeks now, and about once a week, maybe slightly more, it starts to artifact. At first it just has a few video blemishes, but then gets gradually worse over 30 minute period. At first it's just video, then audio starts to dip in and out.

Now, I've only left it for about 30 minutes to see if it would solve itself, but every time it happens, I restart the box and all is perfectly fine after the reboot.

Anyone have any thoughts?

2. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Check your cable signal, too hot or too low can give you problems.

3. Punker1234

Punker1234 New Member

Aug 28, 2009
    I checked my SNR and that is at 38 on all 6 tuners. I also has no RS errors although I'll continue to monitor that.

Lastly, I tried to check the signal but it said I had zero digital channels. Could that be because I have a tuning adapter?

However, on my cablecard it says my "OOB SNR" is 25.

Other than those 3 items, not sure what else to check.

4. ncfoster

ncfoster Member

Jan 22, 2011
    Has anyone come up with a recommended range for Signal Strength/SNR for Roamio? I've seen many suggest that it is different from the Premiere. I tend to be fine, but I will suffer occasional problems, and they do tend to crop up more on certain channels. I've just tolerated it (it is not any different from when I had my Premiere, as best I can tell), but would love to squash it. My Signal Strength reads 100%, and my SNR is 40%.

5. marklyn

marklyn New Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    I wouldn't necessarily put full faith in those numbers. My biggest tell-tale was the signal dB shown in the tuning adapter. It consistently was around minus 10-11, even occasionally -12. Once I changed out the coax wiring to provide a direct path to my tuning adapter and then output from my TA to the Tivo the signal went up to a -6 or -7dB and I have not had any pixelation and/or audio 'burps' now since I made that change.

At the very least if you can test connecting your cable directly to your TA and get dB readings before/after. Also, any and all coax splitters should be suspect. Make sure they are over 1000Mhz and minimize use if possible. Each run through a splitter degrades loss.
    By the way my SNR's were similar to yours when I was having this issue.

6. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    You could have too hot a signal. Because 100% is the max reading, your signal could be hotter than that.
    Use an attenuator (or splitter with unused ports capped off) to bring the signal down.
    I would say try to get it in the low 90's at least (don't worry about SNR for this test) and see if it helps.
    If it doesn't work, you can remove the attenuator and be no worse off.

7. worachj

worachj Active Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/150/kw/signal troubleshooting

6. The SNR reading must be within the following range to give good-quality video.

QAM 64 = 23 dB - 30dB

QAM 256 = 29 dB - 35dB

A higher SNR reading means that the video signal is stronger relative to the noise level on the line. If the SNR value is lower than the minimum, contact your cable provider, who can test and improve the signal on the cable line.

8. Punker1234

Punker1234 New Member

Aug 28, 2009
    So just try a splitter than to reduce the SNR? And is that SNR referring to the 6 individual tuners or the cablecard? I never had a problem with my Premiere unfortunately, so strange!

9. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Active Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I had problems somewhat like this once, and eventually the cable company found that squirrels or something had been chewing on the cable. They put in a new drop from the pole and everything got better.

10. Punker1234

Punker1234 New Member

Aug 28, 2009
    I have a feeling the connections are fine, as a restart of the Tivo resolves the video immediately. There could be squirrel inside my Tivo though!

11. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Check the firmware of the CableCARD. There has been reported issues with older firmware CableCARDs and the newer Roamios.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

12. Punker1234

Punker1234 New Member

Aug 28, 2009
    I'll probably just ask for a replacement just to be sure.

13. d_vail

d_vail New Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Mine did it a week or two ago, thought it was the cable company screwing with stuff.. Would have artifacts and a line or two across the screen. Then the sound would start to glitch, then an hour or so later, couldn't watch it at all. Left it for about 3 hours and it sorted itself out. Today, the same thing happened again! I thought to myself they can't be working on it again... Reboot the roamio and when it comes up all is fine. So now it know it's the roamio, or cable card, not the line. Although I do have a 100% signal and 42-45snr which some say is bad. Have a feeling this is going to be very hard to troubleshoot seeing as how it seems to only happen every 10 or more days.. Even if it were the signal being too hot, you would thing it would happen a lot more often. Just ordered an 8 port splitter to replace the 3-way currently on the line since I will eventually need all the connections. I will just put terminators on the unused ports and hopefully the -11db loss per port will attenuate the signal enough to lower the snr vs the splitter I have now with -5.5db loss. If that doesn't work, then I guess I'll have to replace the cable card. If that doesn't work, the roamio will be next, but I'm just going in order of what I'm sure tivo will have me do before they agree it's their problem.

14. Punker1234

Punker1234 New Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Thanks Dval. Let me know how it goes because it seems like were having the EXACT same problem. My cablecard is going to be replaced, but if we're having the same problem, what are the chances it's that. Most likely hardware if our issues are the same.

15. TonyBlunt

TonyBlunt Member

Jan 27, 2014
    I had the same problem with a new Roamio, but it happened almost daily. Returned the unit, got a new one, ran fine for 10 days then started pixelating on playback, minor at first but got worse over about 30 minutes. Rebooted, works fine. Recordings are clean, the pixelation was during the playback. Counting down the next 10 days....

16. d_vail

d_vail New Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Hmm, I wonder what the chances of it being a software bug are? Then again, if it were software it would probably be more widespread?

Out of curiosity, have any of you changed your resolution settings? I have mine set to 1080p and 1080p/24 passthrough only. All others are unchecked. I know most broadcast is 720 and 1080i and it seems this is the default setting the tivo comes set to(I may be wrong). But maybe it is a bug with the tivo outputting 1080p from 1080i ? That would explain why a lot of people don't have this problem? That's the only other thing I can think of, unless you guys have yours on the default settings and it's still happening..

17. ncfoster

ncfoster Member

Jan 22, 2011
    My settings are also 1080p and 1080p24 as well. Although I commented earlier on that I get some break-ups (and my SNR appears to be a bit too high), I think that my problems are pretty tolerable and uncommon.

18. Punker1234

Punker1234 New Member

Aug 28, 2009
    My video output was set at 1080i. Not too familiar with this to be honest, so I left it alone although I have a 1080p tv, but I don't think I have any 1080p sourced material.

19. TimA

TimA New Member

Feb 9, 2013
    I get artifacting infrequently, but I'm amazed I get any signal from Comcast (TV and Internet).

While driving in my neighborhood and out on the local roads I see cable distribution boxes missing covers, larger cable distribution cabinets with doors open, some that look like they were run over by a truck, and orange cable strewn all over the place. I wish Comcast would take better care of their infrastructure and perhaps many of these random issues would go away and we wouldn't have to blame the shiny new boxes in our homes.

20. Punker1234

Punker1234 New Member

Aug 28, 2009
    I live in a relatively new area, so I'm sure my cable providers infrastructure is just fine. To boot, I've owned 2 other boxes previously to this and never had a problem. And others are experiencing what I have, only on the Roamio. Makes me wonder.