1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio Basic - Heat Issues

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by topangajack, May 22, 2014.

1. topangajack

topangajack New Member

May 22, 2014
    SoCal
    Looking for some advice (or maybe reassurance) concerning the heat generated by my basic 4-tuner Roamio. [FYI - I receive OTA signals from a rooftop antenna via the coax connection. Internet is via an ethernet cable.]

When using the Roamio for playback or Netflix streaming, the coax connection gets quite hot! When the unit is idle the connection is cooler, but remains much warmer than expected. If I remove the coax cable overnight, the coax connection is still very warm. The right top of the unit is always warm, even after prolonged idle time. Gentle heat can be felt coming from the right side vents at all times. The unit always makes a whispering sound.

Should I ask Tivo for a replacement, or is this normal? The unit operates OK, but I am concerned about longevity with so much heat - especially since I splurged for the lifetime service.

Any advice will be most appreciated. Thanks

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I've not noticed excessive heat on my Roamio Basic but I only disconnect it when I take it over to my GFs. Plus the metal part of my Coax connectors are at least an inch long. So if there is more heat it should dissipate better than some of the shorter connectors.

3. topangajack

topangajack New Member

May 22, 2014
    SoCal
    Will you do me a favor and monitor the heat for a while? Hopefully, I'm worried about nothing. Maybe they all run warm.... (or hot, at times). I know the basic has just a small internal fan.

Thanks

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I checked it after I read the post and it was just a little warm. I'll check it a couple of times this weekend. I guess I should start a Netflix stream and see what that does.

5. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Looking at the internal layout of the basic, it looks like the fan blows across the main processor heatsink, and then onto the rf shielding cages around the rf circuitry/coax connector. (Google roamio motherboard in pics category to see) The heatsink and rf shield may even be touching in some units, as it looks really close and this would obviously increase the heat xfer even more.

Is it in a cabinet? Is there any obstructions around the side air vents?

I don't have a basic, but does much heat get xfered through the bottom of the case? Putting felt pads or extra rubber feet on the bottom to increase the gap would boost passive cooling on that surface

6. eric102

eric102 Member

Oct 31, 2012
    I did the thicker feet to my basic a few weeks ago and it seems to be running a little cooler than before. It still runs pretty warm but no worse than a Motorola DVR from the cable co. that's been running non-stop for years.

7. topangajack

topangajack New Member

May 22, 2014
    SoCal
    Ignad, looking at the picture you referenced, the case heat is centered above the main processor heatsink. (The unit is raised on 1-inch feet, and is well ventilated.) It gets more than a little warm.

As to the heat at the coax connector, it is quite hot while actively using the machine and warm when not.

Perhaps unrelated, there is also a constant whispering sound that can be heard from 8 ft away (I have pretty good hearing) - the fan perhaps?

8. eric102

eric102 Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Probably the hard drive, they make a little bit of noise.

9. topangajack

topangajack New Member

May 22, 2014
    SoCal
    Thanks for checking the heat on your Roamio basic. We all need to be aware of any potential heat problems, especially if they may lead to premature failure that can't be repaired. (ie. dead tivo - dead lifetime service).

10. kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Have you checked what the Roamio is reporting on the System Information screen for temp?

My Plus is reporting a MBT: 43
    My Basic is reporting a MBT: 39

The coax on both is just warm. Actually the Basic coax feels warmer.

Not sure why the coax would heat up on playing something back OR Netflix? Playing something back doesn't send anything via coax and Netflix should be coming over the ethernet.

-Kevin

11. topangajack

topangajack New Member

May 22, 2014
    SoCal
    Kevin, I suspect the heat is transferring to the coax from the nearby processor not originating at the coax (I mean, how could it?). I'll check the MBT temp as soon as I can.
    Have you ever checked how hot your coax feels when the device is in use? Mine gets HOT.
    Thanks for your input.

12. kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Ah makes sense.......I'll go start a Netflix stream on my Basic and see if it gets hot.

EDIT: Just started 4 recordings and I'm streaming Star Trek Into Darkness from Netflix (720p). I'll update in a half hour and let you know what I find.

-Kevin

13. topangajack

topangajack New Member

May 22, 2014
    SoCal
    Great. And I'll do some experimenting this weekend to see what activity seems to generate the most heat: streaming, playback, or recording (1 vs. 2 vs. 3 tuners).

14. kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    1/2 hour in with the 4 recordings and Netflix stream on my Basic and the coax is not any warmer. It's definitely not hot.

I'll let it go a little longer and then check what the system info says.

-Kevin

15. topangajack

topangajack New Member

May 22, 2014
    SoCal
    Very interesting...... Thanks. I'm still at work but I'm dying to get home and check mine out.

16. kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Well I stopped everything after a little over an hour.

MBT reported by System Information was still at 39 (no idea how accurate it is or exactly what it's reading). Coax was only warm still. Picked up the Roamio and it's definitely warmer on the right side, both on the top and bottom (warm enough to warm up the shelf a bit) but really only warm....not hot.

By "quite hot" do you mean that if you left your fingers on it....it would start to hurt?

-Kevin

17. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Around twenty minutes ago I started a Netflix stream and several recordings on my Basic. It's showing an MBT of 43 while my Roamio Pro MBT is 45.
    The coax connector feels a little warmer than last night, but not hot.
    My BAsic is using the stock feet. And it sits on top of a two tuner Premiere in my TV stand which is completely open.

18. yukit

yukit Member

Jul 23, 2005
    When I put a 3TB drive in Basic, I noticed that it was a tight squeeze though it seemed the case was designed to fit the drive in place. I wonder if it is possible to put the mounting bracket in the wrong way to put the drive to touch the case or block the air circulation inside. Unlikely though.

My Basic is always recording (manual recording for 24 hours everyday on one channel) It is sitting on top of a Roamio Plus in a open-back enclosure. My current MBT is 40. I would expect this to go up higher once the ambient temperature is higher.

19. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I forgot that I had a non contact IR thermometer. I measured the temperature on the coax cable connector attached to my Roamio Basic and attached to my Roamio Pro.

The connector temp on the Basic was 91F.
    The connector temp on the Pro was 78F.

So there was a huge difference in temperature between the two.

EDIT: My two tuner Premiere connector temp, which sits under my Roamio Basic, was also 78F.

20. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    If there is/was an impedance mismatch (video should be 75 ohms), then that could definitely generate dissipated heat. This happens sometimes, especially with BNC type connectors that are rated at 50 ohms (usually antenna impedance) being used by end users instead of ones designed for 75 ohm video.