1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

roamio basic fan noise- high pitch whine

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by leiff, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Nov 2, 2013 #1 of 30
    leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    I cant keep this roamio basic. It emits a high pitched Srill whine i cant handle. its a directional whine and it seems to be coming from the right side of the Romeo and I can't hear it unless my head is tilted in certain directions. Anyone know how fan noise compares to basic vs plus? Im wondering if i should swap out my basic for another and hope for a more quiet fan or get a roamio plus. Anyone know how xl4 premier fan compares to roamio plus? The fan in my roamio sounds louder than my xl4 and i was already eextreamly upset with the noise of my xl4. For me every tivo s 3 4 & now 5. Every new version is louder than the one that precedes it! Very unhappy

2. Nov 2, 2013 #2 of 30
    tivosupport_jaron

tivosupport_jaron New Member

Oct 17, 2013
    leiff,
    The noise from the fan on your premiere and roamio should not be noticed at all. I am thinking you need to replace those boxes.
    Thanks,
    Jaron

3. Nov 2, 2013 #3 of 30
    leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Since i dont want to pay return shipping to my online vendor ; how does this sound:
    I buy roamio basic from bestbuy and return my one from abt in person to bestbuy?

4. Nov 2, 2013 #4 of 30
    andyf

andyf Active Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Houston,...
    Sounds dishonest.

5. Nov 2, 2013 #5 of 30
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Most likely the noise is the hard drive (it sits on the right side) and not the fan (which is tiny and sits in the middle of the Tivo.)

6. Nov 2, 2013 #6 of 30
    leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    I can hear the hardeive sure enough. But the high pitch tone almost sounds like a mosquito. Also i am dissapointed with remote. I have tivo hooked up with a 30 ft. HdmI cable to second room/tv. Ive always used slide blutooth remote from this second room without a problem. Now the roamio remote frequently shows a red light and fails commands. And extremely frequently when i rappidly hit ff trying to activate 2x or 3x ff - the remote balks and does nothing. Im only about 20 ft from roamio with one wall in-between. I was expecting superior results to slide not worse.

7. Nov 2, 2013 #7 of 30
    unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Get something slightly smaller around than the holes over the fan blades, something non-conductive and able to stand a little pressure, like maybe a cheap "artist's" paintbrush plastic handle, and stick it in to stop the fan blades for just a moment, no longer.

If the noise goes away, it was the fan making it.

If not, then the fan's not to blame.

DO NOT USE ANYTHING METAL OR OTHERWISE CONDUCTIVE, OR ANYTHING LIKELY TO BREAK AND THROW PIECES AROUND INSIDE OR OUTSIDE THE TIVO CASE.

To give you an idea how sturdy it needs to be, or doesn't, you could stick a finger in there to stop it and it would sting a bit but probably not break the skin.

8. Nov 3, 2013 #8 of 30
    leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Since my roamio is the basic this will imvolve removing case. Is there hope i can fix high pitch whine if open? If not, i dont want to risk damaging something and be refused for return.

9. Nov 8, 2013 #9 of 30
    leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    How about keeping the lid off my basic roamio and going fanless? Ill be able to monitor temps from within settings menu right?

10. kettledrum

kettledrum Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Fishers, IN
    I can remember the same type of sound you are describing being a problem on U-Verse DVRs a number of years ago. It was definitely heat related.

If this is similar then maybe you can prevent it by putting an external fan blowing on the unit or putting it in a more open area of your setup if you currently have it in a tight space in your cabinet.

11. leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Its not in a tight place. Its right on my compter desk. I'd like to disable fan and see if it will run cool enough with lid off. Will this void warranty?

12. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Technically yes, but as long as you don't mention it to TiVo, how are they to know?

13. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    Uh...none of this strikes me as good. At the least, exchange it. Personally, I'd go to the more conventional, bigger box Plus or Pro.

14. leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Is the plus fan quiter than the basic? Or more quiet than premier for that matter? Part of the reason im selling my xl4 is fan noise.

15. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    I would intuitively believe it would be if I understand the Basic's airflow setup/path correctly. The Plus' fan noise is the same or quieter than my Premiere, judging by my sample of three Plus units. They're all certainly close enough to same to have not attracted my attention while doing set-ups on a table top. The fan noise of an S3HD is distinctly louder, but was never objectionable to me in years of collocated with the TVs use.

16. DCGOO

DCGOO New Member

Nov 10, 2013
    Only problem with that is the Basic is the only model that works OTA.

17. scn101

scn101 New Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Plano, TX
    Did you ever figure out if it was fan noise? Did you resolve the issue?

I have a premiere and the fan noise was an issue until I took the fan blade off the spindle and lubed it with grease. It is still noticeable in a quiet room but not a problem now.

18. leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Im going to see if i can keep the lid off and completely disable fan. In settings is a mt setting. Motherboard temp setting. Mine says 38. Tivo told me there would be an on screen message warning me if temps get too high so well see

19. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    OTA is a dnc for me and judging from the OPs original post not an issue for him, either.

20. nws alpine

nws alpine New Member

Nov 7, 2013
    I wouldn't return it locally as the serial number is on the box. Would cause some issues if the new owner tried to activate it from the box like most do. That or bestbuy would check the serial to see if it matches which some will do.