1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio base and 3 minis?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by volleyb32, Sep 24, 2013.

1. volleyb32

volleyb32 New Member

Sep 24, 2013
    Newbie here...just wanted to get an exact answer from someone that has the Roamio. Basically, I have 4 TV's total and I want to use the Roamio base model to steam recorded shows (rarely, if ever, watch live TV) to the other 3 minis. My question is this- will watching a recorded show on a mini, take up a tuner from the Roamio? I called Tivo twice today, and two different people said that it does...meaning if I had all 3 minis watching recorded shows, then the base Roamio would only have one tuner left to record new shows. This sounds stupid to me, as the mini shouldn't be using a tuner to watch what is on the harddrive, but the Tivo reps insisted this is true. What is the real life answer please?

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    No, a tuner is only used by Mini for live TV. If you just want to stream recorded shows from your Roamio then the Mini will NOT use a tuner.
    Pretty incredible the CSRs don't seem to have even the most basic fundamentals down for TiVo whole home solutions.

3. volleyb32

volleyb32 New Member

Sep 24, 2013
    Thank you!!! Heading out to get my Roamio and the mini's tonight.

4. AdamNJ

AdamNJ New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Dunellen, NJ
    It may however steal a tuner if from a mini you watch live tv, and then switch to watching something recorded. I am not sure if it releases right away or waits for the 90 min timeout.

But if you go straight to watching a recording, it won't steal a tuner.

5. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    As soon as you exit live TV from Mini the tuner is dropped from my experience.

6. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...