1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio as alternative to Plex / XBMC for movies?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by srauly, Nov 28, 2013.

1. srauly

srauly New Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Simsbury,...
    I've been out of the loop for a while and am thinking about coming back to Plex. Right now I have a Windows Media Center PC w/XBox 360 as an extender. I also have Plex running on that WMC machine and use a nettop PC in the other room (running XBMC w/PleXBMC) for playing back high-bitrate Blu-ray rips, etc., that are stored on the main server.

I think the answer is "no" based on the searching I've done here, but I'm wondering if it's possible to have an all-in-one solution with a Roamio playing back my high-bitrate movies. What, if any, options are there and what are the pros/cons involved?

2. srauly

srauly New Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Simsbury,...
    Just to clarify...I see that there is another forum dedicated to this type of topic, but I'm particularly interested in finding out if the newer Roamio hardware is capable of playing high-bitrate MP4 (e.g., Blu-ray rips) without the need for transcoding.

3. shortcut3d

shortcut3d New Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Without transcoding, I don't think so.

I gave up on PyTivo and kept my XBMC HTPC connected, so I can't really comment very much. The XBMC experience is much richer. I use an i5 Intel NUC with Win 8.1 so it's small and extremely fast, not much gained from removing it other than switching inputs. I didn't like having to manage space on the Roamio with PyTivo. Others have had more success.