1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamio / Android

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by NotNowChief, Aug 20, 2013.

1. NotNowChief

NotNowChief Addicted to TiVo

Mar 29, 2012
    New York...
    Still no Android support? Is this some kind of joke?

Seriously?

What's the excuse now?

Where is DTA for the Mini? That was "coming soon" too.

Until these guys can enable the DTA on the Mini and offer Android support, I'm not buying another thing from these people.

Mrs. Schmidt can you hear us?

2. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    This new unit came out more timely than you expected, so they had to provide you some feeder material to complain about!

3. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Who said Android support was coming on day 1? The rumor has been and continues to be November.

But you were going to ***** today no matter what.

4. NotNowChief

Mar 29, 2012
    New York...
    Fully expected a full-featured product at launch, not more half-baked "products".

Would you buy a new car if they told you that it had provisions for air conditioning and was "coming soon"? How about a refrigerator if they told you the freezer would be enabled "coming soon"?

Imagine me being unreasonable by expecting a company to release a fully-functioning product at launch, and imagine your complacancy with them that you happily accept it.

Have fun forking over a grand for your box and PLS. Remember, all those features are "coming soon" though!

5. NotNowChief

Mar 29, 2012
    New York...
    "Rumor" and "Coming Soon" are TiVo's new slogans!

6. hytekjosh

hytekjosh Member

Dec 3, 2010
    Not only do they need to add Android support but also need to write a program so I can watch on PC.

7. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Sorry just because a product doesn't offer the features you want doesn't make it half baked.

Also for a company to say they plan on updating a products software and adding features over time is standard operating procedure for pretty much everything so that doesn't make a product half baked either.

What makes something half baked is when the features they are offering now don't work correctly or at all. That is why the Premiere was a half baked (maybe 1/4 baked?) product. When released it just did not work as advertised.

If the Roamio line of DVRs suffer from being half backed is yet to be seen, but all indications are that they are not.

8. Lars_J

Lars_J Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Android support is there. Even Kindle Fire support.

I presume the original poster is referring to streaming support? If so he/she should be more specific.

9. hytekjosh

hytekjosh Member

Dec 3, 2010
    I'm talking about streaming.

10. jadziedzic

jadziedzic Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Maybe they should have named the product "Rumorio"?

11. ilovedvrs

ilovedvrs Member

Oct 20, 2004
    ANDROID!!!!! We need it now....
    I hate iOS....

12. NotNowChief

Mar 29, 2012
    New York...
    There is a difference between features "I want" and what TiVo has stated themselves that are "coming soon", specifically Android support and DTA for the Mini.

Has everyone become so complacent with TiVo's product deployments that they are not getting my point? They are releasing a brand new product, and ADVERTISING the future additions to it! Stop with the "coming soon" and "we're working on it".

That's the point I'm trying to make. It's NOT what "I want" but the fact that they are again deploying hardware that's not quite 100%!

13. Grakthis

Grakthis New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    FWIW, I agree with the sentiment here, if not the exact language.

Clearly, however, another poster (Dave IIRC?) has raised some valid points about how the Android OS doesn't support the base streaming method used by the Stream and it requires a third party control to make it work and there could have easily been some "sitting on it" type delays while TiVo waited and hoped for android to support it natively. So i am sympathetic to TiVo's situation... you don't want to re-write your entire protocol to support android, so you need to get android to support your protocol.

I'm not buying a Roamio until it supports android with the streaming functionality. But I'm also not mad that the Roamio doesn't support it out of the box... I'm not MAD that TiVo is losing my money. I like my money. When TiVo gets around to supporting my OS of choice, I'll get around to buying their new box.

*shrug*

14. NotNowChief

Mar 29, 2012
    New York...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    At least you get my gist. :up:

15. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    We can all understand the sentiment, we just don't need to hear it repeated ad nauseam in every other thread. We heard you the first 50 times.

We get it. Delays suck.

16. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    My understanding that Roamio DVRs & Mini combos support DTA now. Maybe I dreamed reading that but we will certainly find out soon.

Regarding streaming support to Android devices, while I have been vocal that it should be provided nowhere on TiVos web site or sales info does TiVo mention supporting Android devices, instead they specifically state they only support IOS devices. If we like it or not they are selling a streaming device that only supports IOS nothing else promised, so yes you are complaining about not having a feature you want that is not currently being offered.

17. trip1eX

trip1eX Active Member

Apr 2, 2005
    If this is why you wanted to buy a Roamio then don't buy.

Obviously any features "coming soon" are caveat emptor especially given Tivo's track record.

18. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I'm kind of confused from all the reviews as to what the Roamio does out of the box and what's supposedly coming in the Fall update. A lot of the reviews mention DTA and outside the home streaming, but some seemed as if they had actually tried it while others indicated it was coming later. I'm going to hold off a few days and see what the reviews from users on this site say first.

I'm also debating heavily on whether I want the Plus or the Pro. I'm not sure 1TB is enough for me, but I'm also not sure I want to pay $200 for a 2TB upgrade. Hmmm.... Decisions, decisions

19. Grakthis

Grakthis New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    Sometimes it is worth repeating a desired feature over and over again because it stresses to TiVo how much this is costing them. Maybe it's not much... but maybe it is?

Microsoft responded to people hating on the Xbox One by changing the entire DRM scheme. Companies do sometimes listen.

20. Grakthis

Grakthis New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    TiVo has flat out said, on many occasions, that Android support is "coming." Pretending they have not said this by pointing to the website and showing that it doesn't say that on the website right now is bordering on dishonest. TiVo has promised this feature.

I agree you shouldn't buy hardware on a software promise, but pretending the promise hasn't been made is just bogus. It has.