TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Roamio and OTA antenna streaming

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  tivoyahoo 
#1 ·
I live in Morgan Hill, CA and the number of channels OTA are limited. In Los Gatos there are more channels. I am planning on setting up an antenna in Los Gatos and connect to Roamio. Then I would like to stream from that Roamio to my home in Los Gatos via a Laptop.

Will this work?
What is the picture quality?
How well does it stream?

#2 ·
The Roamio Basic and OTA do not have out-of-home streaming built-in. You'll need to add a TiVo stream to the network. Both the TiVo OTA and TiVo Stream box need to be connected to your network using Ethernet not WiFi.

The combination works well and I really like using it with my iPad.

#3 · (Edited)
The Roamio Basic and OTA do not have out-of-home streaming built-in. You'll need to add a TiVo stream to the network. Both the TiVo OTA and TiVo Stream box need to be connected to your network using Ethernet not WiFi.
If it wasn't obvious, the TiVo Stream would need to be on the same home network as your Roamio OTA. The TiVo Stream would then send the transcoded video stream over the Internet to your laptop via TiVo Online (or to your mobile device via its TiVo app).

p.s. I haven't any experience with it, but you may also want to look into the beta TiVo app for Amazon's Fire TV. See:

edit: p.p.s. Edited to correct horribly inaccurate information, per atmuscarella and related TiVo help pages on Out-of-Home Streaming and TiVo Online.
STREAMING REQUIREMENTS: To stream to TiVo Online, the device you use to access TiVo Online must be on the same network as your host DVR, and the streamed content cannot be copy-protected. For more information about copy protection policies, see Copy Protection: FAQ. 4-tuner Roamio and Premiere Series DVRs require the use of a TiVo Stream for full TiVo Online functionality.

#4 ·
h558930 - You can not do what you want easily - even if you buy a stand alone Stream device it will not stream to your laptop away from the home network. You might be able to do so with a private vpn but I would look at a sling box instead.

#5 · (Edited)
When streaming from outside the home where the TIVO is, you can't do it to a computer, you need a mobile device, or the Fire TV or Stick and TIVO App which works quite well. The streaming device is set up where the TIVO is. While you can't watch shows you can use your computer to see your TIVO, see what has been recorded and start/stop recordings.

Also keep in mind if you want to watch live TV you must be recording it. So you would start a recording of the live show(s) you want to watch either from your mobile device the app or your computer then go to that recording and pick start from the begining.

That all works and you get used to how it works after awhile.
I feel the Slingbox may be a better choice overall than the TIVO Stream. You can watch your TIVO easily on the computer, mobile devices, and can easily watch on a TV. You change channels just like you were where the TIVO is, no need to record. Even modest internet speeds on each end - Upload and Download is enough for a good picture. The M1 model can be had for less than a TIVO Stream also. It would be connected to the TIVO, and anything you can do with the remote for the TIVO can be done with the Slingbox when you are at a remote location. Again the Fire TV Slingplayer app is excellent for this also but you can use Chromecast with a mobile device to watch on a TV also. If you plan to watch on a computer this is the best way.

#7 ·
I live in Morgan Hill, CA and the number of channels OTA are limited. In Los Gatos there are more channels. I am planning on setting up an antenna in Los Gatos and connect to Roamio. Then I would like to stream from that Roamio to my home in Los Gatos via a Laptop.
you can pull channels from the mt. allison and monument peak from morgan hill -see:

http://www.choisser.com/channels.html

those towers are in the east hills near fremont / san jose. nbc11, abc7, and ktvu2 are mirrored at those towers - just select the right call letters in your channel list, such as 11.3 not 11.1 for nbc. you don't need to pull them from sutro in SF. but cbs5 is only on Sutro in SF, so that's a longer haul from Morgan Hill. but there is a cbs tower above Salinas - you may have line of sight to that from MH.

but I'm not quite clear. you have an antenna now in MH and are adding one in LG? line of sight is tough from LG too because it's tucked in the hills. what other ota channels/networks are you looking for? kbhk44 and kofy20 are tough too from south bay - since those are in SF. but again, may be able to get affiliates off salinas tower. take a look at this for the towers:

https://www.antennaweb.org/Address

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.