1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

roamio and mini not on the same network?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by szvers, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Feb 1, 2014 #1 of 43
    szvers

szvers New Member

May 20, 2005
    I just added a mini and use moca to connect it. I can connect to the tivo service, my internet connection test says working correctly. I can even see my shows in the list, but they all have red circles w/ slashes through them. I see the roamio icon at the top of my shows.

When I attempt to watch them, it says that my mini and the roamio aren't on the same network. I can't watch live tv either.

I have powered down all the boxes including, moca adapters and routers.

If anyone could shed some light on my problem, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you

2. Feb 1, 2014 #2 of 43
    patrickthickey

patrickthickey New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    MoCa seems to give people issues, there are a couple of detailed threads on optimizing your odds. This is only a shabby summary and not intended to sound condescending....

* do you have a MoCa blocking filter on the point of entry for the cable service? This is a very important thing, though it appears not to be 100% necessary, it depends upon topology outside your residence.

* I assume your Roamio is configured as a "MoCA bridge" and itself connected to Ethernet? This means it "bridges" the Internet/Ethernet connection and shoots that and all content to the Mini via coax. Hence the need to make sure the MoCa physical layer stuff is properly configured.

* to be properly in line with the MoCa housekeeping stuff, make sure you use 75 ohm terminators on ALL unused 75ohm drops associated with your coax network.

Beyond that, I'm sure you will get sound advice from this forum.

3. Feb 1, 2014 #3 of 43
    szvers

szvers New Member

May 20, 2005
    I have OTA, do I still need a POE filter?

4. Feb 1, 2014 #4 of 43
    szvers

szvers New Member

May 20, 2005
    What is a terminator(other than SkyNet)? Thank you

Also, I assumed when my mini had internet working that it would be able to connect to my roamio. The error message doesn't make sense because if I wasn't on the same home network as my roamio I wouldn't be able to connect to the internet. Right?

5. Feb 1, 2014 #5 of 43
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You probably just need to reboot them. Sometimes the discovery thing can get out of sync and do stuff like this. A reboot of one, or both, usually takes care of it.

6. Feb 1, 2014 #6 of 43
    szvers

szvers New Member

May 20, 2005
    I have rebooted everything twice.

7. Feb 1, 2014 #7 of 43
    szvers

szvers New Member

May 20, 2005
    I grabbed another moca adapter and put that next to the mini and connected it to the mini via Ethernet rather than the coax? Is there any chance the coax port is defective, if the mini worked immediately after using Ethernet rather than coax?

8. Feb 1, 2014 #8 of 43
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    So using an external MoCa adapter connected to the Mini via Ethernet works? But connecting the Mini directly to the same coax does not? And you're sure when you had the Mini connected to the coax you went into the network section and enabled MoCa?

If so then I'd say that either the Mini's coax port is defective or the MoCa connection at that point is really poor and the standalone adapter is just a little better at picking up the poor connection then the Mini.

To test it you could put the Mini in the same room as the TiVo and see if it can pick up the MoCa signal. If it can then you know the ports OK and the wiring is bad. If it can't then you know the Mini is defective.

9. Feb 1, 2014 #9 of 43
    BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Strange. Was the Mini literally just activated? Have your forced a couple service connections on both devices?

Some people have reported having to wait a day or two until activation is fully "kicked in" until the Tivo and Mini play nice. Sometimes renaming a device and then forcing connections helps kick it in too.

10. szvers

szvers New Member

May 20, 2005
    Yes, the external adapter worked with the mini via ethernet. I'm sure I went into the mini and selected Moca when I had the coax connection.

How can coaxial wiring be bad? I will take it upstairs to the same room to test, but what do I hook it up to when I get it there? Thanks for all the help.

11. szvers

szvers New Member

May 20, 2005
    Yes, just a few hours ago. It can't be the coax port b/c I'm able to connect to the internet and the tivo service. Is that sound thinking?

I will try renaming the roamio and the mini. Thank you.

I have forced connections on both devices at least 3 times.

12. BigJimOutlaw

Mar 21, 2004
    Now that we know the Mini can work (with the adapter), if you were to remove the adapter at the Mini now, would it still not work?

13. szvers

szvers New Member

May 20, 2005
    Tried that...It couldn't recognize the roamio right after I removed the ethernet and tried the coax again.

Just changed name on roamio and connected to tivo service...now am going to do the same with mini.

14. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Active Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
  15. szvers

szvers New Member

May 20, 2005
    Anyone have an idea where to buy a poe filter? Radio Shack doesn't have them and tivo is 8.99 plus 8.99 shipping. Amazon seems to be sold out.

16. szvers

szvers New Member

May 20, 2005
  17. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Active Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Unused outputs are the one place in a coax network that is unshielded, so yes you are technically supposed to use a terminator on any unused outlet on your home coax network, be it unused wall outlets or unused splitter/amp outputs. But a lot of people don't bother to use them and don't seem to have any problems without them. I use them because I'm anal and like to be extremely thorough. I really have no idea how much difference they actually make in practice, but they are inexpensive and it certainly doesn't hurt to use them.

18. BigJimOutlaw

Mar 21, 2004
    If you're OTA only, don't worry about the POE filter.

Is there a splitter or two in between the primary moca adapter and the Mini that is particularly old or not robust enough (they should be at least 1000Mhz?)

It's possible the moca adapter is more sensitive at picking up weaker signals. So maybe there's a way to improve the quality of the signal (like checking the splitters) to ditch that second adapter.

19. szvers

szvers New Member

May 20, 2005
    Okay, thank you.
    Does it seem like if my mini connects to the network/internet via the coax using moca adapter that it should be able to play shows?

Do you think it all boils down to waiting 24-48 hrs like you said earlier before they play nice? Like I said, I can see the shows on the mini, just can't play them.
    BTW I didn't rename both boxes, connected to tivo service, and rebooted everything again.

I think it is ridiculous that you have to wait that long. They never tell you that stuff ahead of time.

20. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yes. If the Mini connects to the internet via MoCa then the MoCa is working. So it must be an authorization thing.