1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roamino MRV problems

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by mburnno, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Sep 2, 2013 #1 of 39
    mburnno

mburnno New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    So I just purchased two Tivo Roamino plus models but I seem to be experiencing MRV problems. I have the same network configuration as I did with the premieres and everything worked fine. When I upgraded to the Roamino I started to experience problems.

If I try to watch a show while I am in the bedroom from the living room I keep getting the error message of "lost connection to the network" and if I wait for a few seconds the living room tivo reappears again.
    This also happens if I try to watch a show from the bedroom while in the living room.

Both Roamino's are connected via cat 6 Ethernet cabling and are on the the same subnet on my network. This is exactly how I had my past Tivo's and have experience no problems until now. The other weird thing I have notice with the Roamino's is if you try to stream a show using the tivo app 70% of the time the Roamino's can't stream and you have to close out of the app and try again.

I keep getting the "low bandwidth" error message. For what is it worth, my wireless is less then three feet from the switch, Roamino and access point. So I can't see how I am getting a low bandwidth error message. I find this weird since I can stream Netflix to my iPad with no issues whats so ever.

I have the latest version of the tivo app on my IOS device and the most recent Tivo software on the Roamino that I am aware of. Has anybody else been seeing this issue? if so did you fix the problem?

Thanks

2. Sep 2, 2013 #2 of 39
    Rkkeller

Rkkeller Active Member

May 13, 2004
    I have not had that problem, but I have noticed the Roamio will disappear when doing things even when it is online. I think its a software bug.

I was trying to transfer SP's on TiVo.com and once in a while it would just vanish. I was copying shows from my old Premier and would get the error Roamio not found or something like that when it was working fine. Shows would start to transfer then when I check again, it was cancelled due to some error.

I also had wifi cutting off or signal level going real low for no reason so I hardwired it.

3. Sep 2, 2013 #3 of 39
    mburnno

mburnno New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    I think this maybe a bug. I understand when launching a new product you are going to have some issues but I just wish Tivo would comment on it or at least say they are aware of it.

4. Sep 2, 2013 #4 of 39
    Series3Sub

Series3Sub Active Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Well, this is a HUGE speed bump for me. I absolutely use MRV EVERYDAY. Aside from some transfers, I do stream between my two S4's everyday. I was waiting to buy Roamio to see if such bugs would pop up.

Yes, it sure would make me fell better if TiVo would cop to it, then we would know that TiVo is working on a fix. So, until the problem is fixed, I'll have to wait to get the Roamio. Sad to have to wait because I LOVE the reports on the Roamios performance overall. I am so ready to ditch (sell) my S4's and move up to what seems to be the superior Roamio, especially for the FOUR tuners.

5. Sep 2, 2013 #5 of 39
    Rkkeller

Rkkeller Active Member

May 13, 2004
    I don't know if I would wait in hindsight as it works, just not 100%. The screen and speed improvements are sooooo nice, I don't even want to use my Premier anymore.

6. Sep 2, 2013 #6 of 39
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Are you using a green Ethernet switch? This was suggested as a possible problem in one of the other threads. I was having the same issue when I had my Roamio Pro connected to a green gigabit Ethernet switch. But since connecting it to a non green gigabit Ethernet switch, the issue has not occurred. At least so far. But it's only been a couple of days. But with the Green switch the issue would have popped up a bunch of times by now.

7. Sep 2, 2013 #7 of 39
    tmagnum000

tmagnum000 New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    I was having the exact same problem. I was using a trendnet green gigabit switch. I swapped it with a regular netgear 10/100 switch and its been running perfect (so far).

8. Sep 3, 2013 #8 of 39
    actionj

actionj New Member

Sep 1, 2004
    wow, I am using a green ethernet switch and am having same problems. If this is the fix than you guys are lifesavers as I was starting to pull my hair out. I hate calling support lines because I have 3 other tivos and much experience with networking but my new Roamio is experiencing the same issues described. I will swap out my "green" switches and post the results.

9. Sep 3, 2013 #9 of 39
    Devx

Devx New Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I use a Trendnet green gigabit switch as well, one in each room that has ethernet, and I haven't had any problems. My Roamio Pro was able to transfer all of the content from my Elite without issue after just over 1.5 days. The Roamio is already over 50% full. :rolleyes:

Maybe it's a specific model(s) having trouble? I'm using several TEG-S80G models uplinked together with multiple devices hanging off of each.

10. MScottC

MScottC Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Dev... the switch in question didn't prevent transfers, it just kept taking down the streaming connection needed to have the mini play off the roamio.

11. mburnno

mburnno New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    You know I think I am using a green switch from Trendnet on one of the Tivo's. I don't understand why this would be causing the problem since it worked great on my past Tivo's. I could see if I hadn't transferred anything in a while and the switch went into power saving mode but if I am in the middle of watching a show while transferring then one would think data bits are moving so I wouldn't get this problem.

OK, that may explain this problem. When I get home I will have to check this out. What about the streaming to the iPad app? It is on a different switch which doesn't explain why I am getting "Low network bandwidth" error message.

12. actionj

actionj New Member

Sep 1, 2004
    To clarify, I have 4 tivos setup right now and a 24 port D link as my main switch. I have two other small 8 port switches at 2 of the Tivo locations because I have multiple network connected devices at those tivo locations. The 8 port green trendnet is just one of the 2 mini switches. So I am going to start by replacing that switch and see if it is somehow "breaking or slowing" the MRV and transfers like is described here.

13. Devx

Devx New Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Right, my thought was that the green switch should have still interrupted the MRV transfers enough to cause them to error out. Unless the Roamio handled the error so gracefully I didn't notice.

14. actionj

actionj New Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Finally got to the bottom of the issue and it wasn't the switch. Other people have posted in other threads about this topic. Like I stated, I have my whole house wired with ethernet and networking with my 3 Premiers has been flawless. When I first setup my new Roamio, I put in my wireless network just to test. I finished setting up the Roamio and switched the connection to ethernet and even specified a static IP. Well the problems experienced in this thread showed up and I was pulling my hair out. I do IT networking for my job and was sure everything was setup great. Well I finally logged into my router and checked the IP table of connected devices and oddly my Roamio was listed as connected via a wireless connection. It seems that there is a glitch in the Roamio software where if you setup your Roamio via wireless and then switch to ethernet, even though the settings page shows it connected as ethernet, it will still use the wireless connection. There is no way I found to just clear the wireless settings so I finally I created a hotspot with my phone and had it join that network temporarily, rebooted the Roamio and finally the connection showed up in my router as an ethernet connection and all issues were instantly gone. Tivo needs to make an option to disable the wireless connection completely to make sure this scenario doesn't keep happening for lots of people. I was just messing around with wireless temporarily and never intended to use it long term.

15. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    When I setup my Roamio PRo with wireless, before getting a new cable card, as soon as I plugged in an EThernet cable in to the Roamio, the wireless connection dropped. When I unplugged the EThernet cable, the wireless connection came back.

But I also set up wireless after initially setting it up with EThernet.

After getting a new cable card and performing a C&D on everything, I only set it up with a wired connection. I didn't touch wireless or MoCA.

16. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    When you bridge with a TP you see MoCA + EThernet, with the Roamio when I set it up using just the MoCA it will show just the MoCA but when I tried to bridge my HDTV to the Roamio the MoCA went away and only the EThernet would show, BUT the Roamio was connected by the MoCA!

17. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I was checking my AP. The wireless would drop off when it disconnected and went back to Ethernet.

18. mburnno

mburnno New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    I really don't know if this is a wireless issue. I have the plus model and I have never turned on the wireless to even play with it, so I don't know if that is the problem. What I do know is that my past tivo's seem to work great without any hiccups at all using the exactly same setup switch and all. I wonder when you use the tivo app on the iPad if it is talking to the tivo in wireless mode or going through the ethernet connection once it hits your access point? I would agree that I think this is a bug in the tivo software. What I can tell you is that this issue is killing me from watch shows in other rooms using MRV.

19. ThreeSoFar

ThreeSoFar FourNow...WaitFive

May 24, 2002
    Baltimore
    Hey, quick aside: Is there an easy way to tell the Roamio "transfer all you possibly can from this other TiVo?" Cause that would be awesome. Lot less clicky.

20. Devx

Devx New Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    That would be really great but unfortunately not. A great time to become very familiar with the new remote. :)