1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP - Marcia Wallace - Edna Krabappel and "The Bob Newhart Show"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Donbadabon, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher

Mar 5, 2002
    Franklin, TN
    Marcia Wallace, the star of "The Bob Newhart Show" and "The Simpsons," died Friday, according to a several media reports. She was 70 and had reportedly been in ill health, although the cause of her condition was not specified.

She is the same age that Suzanne Pleshette died.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-marcia-wallace-dead-20131026,0,3012297.story

2. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Also a regular on Match Game.

3. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    That's out of the blue, very sad.

4. pteronaut

pteronaut Killer of Threads

Dec 26, 2009
    It looks like Matt Groening has to re-think which character is being killed off this season. :(

(And Ned Flanders loses another wife.)

5. Gregor

Gregor Active Member

Feb 18, 2002
    :(

6. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher

Mar 5, 2002
    Franklin, TN
    "I was tremendously saddened to learn this morning of the passing of the brilliant and gracious Marcia Wallace," said Simpsons executive producer Al Jean in a statement. "She was beloved by all at The Simpsons and we intend to retire her irreplaceable character."

7. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Yeah but they had no problem replacing Phil Hartman for Troy McClure and Zapp Brannigan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futurama#Voice_actors

8. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    They've never used Troy McClure in "The Simpsons" after Phil Hartman died -- he wasn't replaced there.

And he was replaced on "Futurama" before the show premiered -- in fact, I don't think any voice recording had even been done for the show before he died. Thus, Billy West has always done Zapp Brannigan's voice. That's a much different situation than it would be to replace Marcia Wallace at this point.

9. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    as much as i love suzanne and bob, marcia's small but hilarious appearances on newhart were always my favorite laughs in the show when i was a kid.

she had a very special talent, i'll miss her. :(

10. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    Raking leaves
    Well said, and I agree.

11. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    When I first saw the article that noted her passing, I was a bit shocked at her age. I had somewhat assumed she was older than she was. I suppose that was because she seemed more mature when she was on the old Bob Newhart show and that had aired so long ago.

70 is certainly not that old, no matter how long she'd been around as a performer. I'll miss her character in future Simpsons episodes, but am glad that she left behind so many appearances to enjoy. :up:

12. bobcarn

bobcarn Birthday Hug Monkey

Nov 18, 2001
    Trenton,...
    I'm genuinely saddened. What a wonderful character actress. I loved her in Newhart, and I adored her as Edna. I'll miss her on the Simpsons. :(

13. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Yikes, so she was *29* when she started on the Bob Newhart Show??

I would have guessed mid-late 30s at least (wasn't she basically "old spinster who couldn't get a man"??)

14. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I always thought she was playing it as fresh out of school first job kind of thing.

15. Hot4Bo

Hot4Bo Finally an Avatar! TCF Club

Apr 3, 2003
    South Florida
    I still remember her from Full House, constantly after Joey. RIP

16. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    No recording of Hartman was ever done for Futurama. In fact, in the original script, Fry's first name is Curtis, but was changed to Philip as a tribute to Hartman. (He doesn't say it, but it appears on a computer screen on Leela's desk.)

Show runner Al Jean has said that the character killed off is not Mrs. Krabappel (I think it's going to be Krusty's father - supposedly, it happens this Sunday), although they do have to find a way to get her off of the show, or at least into a position where she doesn't talk. (Lunch Lady Doris had a lot of non-speaking background parts for a while after Doris Grau died.)

In fact, GSN is airing a "tribute" to Marcia on November 1, 8 AM-Noon Eastern (and AFAIK, there's only one GSN feed, so it's 5-9 AM Pacific); four episodes of 1970s Match Game, two of Password Plus (I remember one episode where she had to give clues to "Supercalifragilisticexpialadocious"), and two of The $100,000 Pyramid.

17. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    A friend of mine mentioned that The Simpsons has a very long lead time for production (unlike South Park). So there will probably be a bunch of episodes in the pipeline where Marsha Wallace had already done the voice work. So we may not see her exit until late in the season if not next season.

18. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I read somewhere that the entire season has been done for a while now.

19. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    All of the voice recordings are almost certainly done (IIRC, it's about seven months from when they record to when the episode airs, since they animate to the voices rather than have the actors dub over the animation). There is certainly not enough time to write, record, animate, and compose music for, a new episode for this season. Even a clip show would have to be such a rush job that it would be more of an insult to Marcia Wallace's memory than a tribute. (Fox asked the producers in April, 1994 to create a new episode that it could air in late September, to go along with its newly-acquired NFL coverage on Sundays; what resulted was the second clip show (not the one where Homer is in the hospital, but the one with the long clips from three episodes, including the Valentine's Day one where Lisa gives Ralph a pity valentine and he takes it the wrong way).
    EDIT: I stand corrected - Yeardley Smith commented about having to record an episode after Marcia's death; she noted that Mrs. Krabappel had a part in the initial table read of the script, but the recorded version obviously was rewritten to not include the character.

There's plenty of time to decide what to do with the character - so far, I have heard:
    • Kill her off - it's not as if Ned hasn't been a single father before
    • Keep her on the show, but just don't have her say anything (they did this with Lunch Lady Doris for a while)
    • Have her retire and move away - the problem with this is, they would either have to write Ned and his sons out as well, or come up with an excuse as to why she would leave him

20. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Given the Al Jean quote above, it seems they'll definitely write her character out, so keeping Edna around without speaking won't be an option. Having Edna die making Ned a two-time widower, or she leaves him and makes him a divorcee/widower would make the most sense. There would be no reason to write out the whole Flanders clan just because they have to write out Edna.