1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RF Control standards?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tomhorsley, Aug 20, 2013.

1. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Active Member

Jul 22, 2010
    So, the new TiVo has an RF remote? Are there any RF standards? Any universal remotes that know how to talk the RF protocols? Or is this all completely proprietary?

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    My assumption is that the new remote is basically a Slide without the keyboard. (Supposedly the case is a little longer, but still much shorter than than older peanut.) So, a Bluetooth HID, plus whatever is needed to report the battery level and implement the remote finder?

3. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Active Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm pretty sure one of the reviews I saw definitely said is wasn't bluetooth.

4. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    It's RF, there are no universal standards like IR.

The new Roamio's still support IR though.

5. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Eh - there are no universal standards for IR - frequencies and codes are manufacturer-specific. There is a lot of overlap, though.

There IS a standard for RF remotes called RF4CE. The DirecTV Genie DVRs and RC71 remote use it.

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Maybe TiVo uses RF4CE too? I don't think we actually know yet. Are there any universal remotes that have RF4CE capabilities?

7. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I can't find any universal remotes using RF4CE on the market.