1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Return to Amazon???

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Rkkeller, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Sep 5, 2013 #1 of 20
    Rkkeller

Rkkeller Active Member

May 13, 2004
    I am having a problem with my Roamio and 3tb HD, both ordered from Amazon.

Instead of troubleshooting, I am thinking to return both and reorder again with next day shipping, its only $7.95 as I am a Prime member.

Will TiVo know anything, if I cancel the one and add another????

2. Sep 5, 2013 #2 of 20
    speedy2

speedy2 TivoAddict

Aug 19, 2002
    Preston, CT
    Does the original drive work in it fine? If it does it's probably a problem with the 3TB hard drive.

3. Sep 5, 2013 #3 of 20
    Rkkeller

Rkkeller Active Member

May 13, 2004
    I never used the original drive, I installed the 3tb right away.

4. Sep 5, 2013 #4 of 20
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Then put the original drive back in and see if you have the same issues. If you do then something might be wrong with the hardware. If you don't have the problems then something might be wrong with the 3TB drive.

5. Sep 5, 2013 #5 of 20
    speedy2

speedy2 TivoAddict

Aug 19, 2002
    Preston, CT
    I agree with Aaronwt. Put the original drive in and see what happens. That will confirm if it's the TiVo or the drive.

6. Sep 5, 2013 #6 of 20
    Rkkeller

Rkkeller Active Member

May 13, 2004
    Looks like I have no choice anyways as Amazon is back ordered on the Roamios.

7. Sep 5, 2013 #7 of 20
    jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Sending back a TiVo that might be totally fine just drives up costs for others, which is why you are seeing the push back.

Installing the original drive and testing with it is something that will take you a very small amount of time... then, if it's the hard disk that's bad you can simply replace it.

If you continue to have reboot issues then you might have a bad TiVo or you might have somehow damaged it when you did the drive replacement.

8. Sep 5, 2013 #8 of 20
    jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    To return it you need to put the initial drive in anyhow, so may as well boot it up and see how it goes.

9. Sep 5, 2013 #9 of 20
    Rkkeller

Rkkeller Active Member

May 13, 2004
    Thats true, I didn't think of it like that. :up:

I have it recording on all tuners nonstop all day and I will see what happened and how many, if any, breaks in the recordings, when I get home. If no problems, I might let it go and see what happens. If problems I will switch out HD's right away.

10. Millionaire2K

Millionaire2K New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Philadelphia
    breaks in recordings could be a result of your connection also.

11. TC25D

TC25D New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    So, what was the problem?

12. Rkkeller

Rkkeller Active Member

May 13, 2004
    It recorded fine for 18 hours with no problems at all on all tuners.

Then I turned on another HDTV in a different room and it rebooted, I did it again and it rebooted. I am not 100% sure yet, but it looks like my 1 in to 4 out powered HDMI splitter went bad and might be shorting out the Roamio.

I unhooked the HDMI splitter and everything overnight recorded fine. I am going to record nonstop all day again on all tuners and if no problems, I think the splitter is bad.

FWIW, I am 99.9% sure it is, I just want to make sure that was the only problem and not the HD or Roamio.

13. StevesWeb

StevesWeb Grumpy Old Geek

Dec 26, 2008
    Geek Hill,...
    It might be a good idea to verify proper ground/hot/neutral wiring in the AC outlets the various equipment is using.

14. late for dinner

late for dinner Past Expiration Date

May 17, 2013
    Colorado...
    next day from Amazon? Good luck with that. I ordered yesterday, units in stock at the time and selected next day delivery. I checked back later in the day and saw that the Roamio was to be delivered next week. I cancelled the order (I'll be on vacation next week)

15. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    You could have received a $10, $20, or $30 credit from amazon. Anytime they do something like that I always get a credit from them. It happens a bunch of times a year for me. Many times on items that cost less than the credit they give me. So the item is essentially free.

16. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    You never mentioned your HDMI splitter before. Devices like that can always be suspect. I'm glad you figured it out and didn't unnecessarily make a return of the equipment.

17. Rkkeller

Rkkeller Active Member

May 13, 2004
    With the splitter removed I have not had a problem at all so it looks like that is the cause.

I ordered another one, different make, and will hook that up later today and see what happens.

18. Rkkeller

Rkkeller Active Member

May 13, 2004
    I swapped out the 1 in to 4 out HDMI splitter last night and everything is back to normal.

Not sure why, but my old one caused the Roamio to reboot when other TV's were turned on. The new splitter works fine in the same location, same plug and same cables.

19. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Throughout the last eight years of using HDMI switches, I've occasionally run into issues where certain devices would not be compatible with certain HDMI switches.

20. apw2607

apw2607 New Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Thanks for that tip. I ordered another basic on Monday. Said it was in stock and would have it the following day. Well still not shipped today and they claim it will ship tomorrow. I called amazon and asked why it had not shipped. They apologized, refunded by next day shipping and gave me a $20 credit. Not bad !