1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Return FIOS DVR - keep cablecard. Y/N?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by DonaldBurns65144, Mar 27, 2012.

1. DonaldBurns65144

DonaldBurns65144 New Member

Jan 10, 2011
    USA
    Just received a notice from FIOS regarding their fees on their DVR's going up a buck/mt. (Ditto on HD going up) We have one that is used about once in a blue moon that I'm thinking that it's about time to return it to them. The plan would be to replace our existing Premiere XL with an Elite and then move the XL to the TV with the FIOS DVR. Question then is how much of a hassle will it be in keeping the cablecard (in the FIOS DVR) and returning just the DVR back to Verizon? Anyone done that? Or will they make me return both DVR and card and then get a new cablecard? Can I self install if the later?

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The cable card goes with the STB. You are not supposed to remove it. Just take the box to the local FiOS store and pick up a cable card when you turn the box in.

although I guess you could call and ask them and see if they will let you keep the card. But otherwise it might open up a big can of worms if they get the box back with out the cable card in it.

If you are interetsted in VOD form FiOs you could also drop the DVR and just get the HD STB to save some money. The VOD features will still be the same.

3. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    They won't want the card removed. Just order a cablecard the same time you return the DVR. Fios makes it easy to setup.

4. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    FYI. The phone reps told me to go to the Verizon Service Center to pick up a cable card. When I got there they told me they don't stock them in that location.

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Sounds typical of FiOS customer support. I really wish their customer support was as good as Verizon wireless.

6. pmiranda

pmiranda New Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    It will screw up their inventory management if you keep the cablecard, so then they would think they have a cablecard somewhere and they actually don't and somebody might go to an office to pick one up and they won't be able to find it. :-/

7. Thinkdiff

Thinkdiff New Member

Oct 13, 2003
    FWIW, I've been told/seen it written that the CableCARDs used in STBs will not activate in any other devices besides the one it ships with. Not sure if that's accurate, but I can definitely see Verizon having a problem with you taking the CableCARD out of their DVR.

I actually did the same exact thing this week - replaced the Verizon DVR with a TiVo HD. I ordered a CableCARD from Verizon online on Monday. They charge $9.99 to ship it out, but it arrived the very next day. Installation took 5 minutes.

8. HenryFarpolo

HenryFarpolo New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Andover Ma
    Don't know where you are North of Boston, but I got mine in Acton. Just call ahead.

9. sabre70

sabre70 New Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Like others have said just return the box. If you have a Verizon store near you just go there and return the box and set up a Cable card install. I'm lucky there is a store about 2 miles from me and they are great to deal with rather than the call in #. Good luck.

10. oViTynoT

oViTynoT Obvious Forum Lurker

May 18, 2007
    Plano, TX
    Most "Verizon" stores are just Verizon Wireless -- No equipment for FiOS. They may ACCEPT equipment returns at those locations, though.

The shops here in the D/FW area that have FiOS equipment are called "Verizon Plus" stores.

11. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    We have standalone Verizon stores here that just sell and service FIOS products. There are no Verizon Wireless products inside.

There was a Verizon Wireless store in downtown Boston that had a Verizon FIOS section. I think they took it out. They don't even offer FIOS in Boston! I couldn't figure out why they would put it in a city that doesn't even offer the service.