1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Return and Rebuy Roamio Pro

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by socrplyr, Oct 22, 2013.

1. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    So I have had my Roamio Pro for 27 days. That means I have three days left to decide if I want to cancel my service and return the box to Best Buy. Then I would rebuy directly from TiVo for $100 off (current promotion on the Pro) and then reset everything up. What do you guys think? Is it worth it to do this?

2. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    What is your time worth?

Does BB not pricematch post sale anymore? I can never keep up with changes in policy.

3. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Yeah, I agree it is what my time is "worth." I was just curious what other thought. That plus, I wanted to remind people of the deal...

That is a good idea, but TiVo's deal is phone only. I don't think BB will price match that, but I will try. It never hurts.

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I have a couple hundred recordings on mine, just the time required to transfer them off and then transfer them back is not worth it.

Although in my case I bought from Weaknees so I got $45 off and no tax. TiVo would charge me about $38 in tax, so for me the difference is only $17

5. UCLABB

UCLABB Active Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    That would not be an ethical move, imo. You would be stiffing Best Buy for no reason other than your own greed.

6. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    There is nothing unethical about doing that. Best Buy has a return policy and that is their terms. The fact that I chose to take advantage of it isn't unethical. What would have been unethical is if I purchased it and never intended to keep it. That was not my intent. However, I do agree that this would negatively impact Best Buy, so I will keep that in mind. I do intend to give them the option of price matching, but I doubt they will. (Which still doesn't mean I will return it.)

7. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    :rolleyes: I don't think $100 is going to break Best Buy's bank.

I agree it all depends on the OPs tolerance for the time and hassle involved.
    I myself wouldn't do it, not for $100. Make it +$200 and I might start thinking about it.

8. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Are you sure you have 30 days to return. I know BB changed their return dates to reflect the level of customer you are in their rewards program. 15/30/60. I don't know how much you have to spend to attain the longer levels.

9. supasta

supasta New Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    Is this stealing?

10. MScottC

MScottC Member

Sep 11, 2004
    It may be legal, but it IS unethical... The Thirty Day (or whatever) return policy is to assure potential buyers that if the product doesn't suit their needs, they won't be out the purchase price. Their policy may not state that, it doesn't have to, but anyone with any common sense of morality would get that. You on the other hand, are using it to save a few bucks. That's not the intent of the plan. Now a Price Match policy that says, "If you find a better deal in 30 days (or whatever), we'll match it," is intended to assure the customer they are getting the best possible price. If you were to take the potential good deal from TiVo and bring that to your original vendor, that would be ethical.

IMHO

11. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Best Buy never made any stipulation or suggestion that you couldn't return something due to price. The real purpose of their policy is to get you to leave the store with something, full well knowing that you aren't likely to return it. Even if a purchased product is only marginally useful, consumers tend not to return them. Also, once a product is sold most don't continue to monitor its price, so they wind up not paying a good price. That is why the return policy exists. Just to get you to walk out the door with the box.
    There isn't an ethical issue here, especially if I give Best Buy the option to match TiVo's price first. Basically, they offer the return policy, so it can be used. Anytime someone uses it, Best Buy could be considered to lose a little money. That can't be used as justification that it was unethical. It is a cost of the policy. Now there are things that could be unethical. Things like purchasing a TV to watch the Superbowl and then returning after the game. Also, returning something that your actions caused to break (unless of course it was over cheaply made for its designed purpose...).

Your mention of their price matching policy is interesting. Their price match policy is actually intended to reduce the return rate (not give you a better deal). It is a stop gap with limitations. They limit where and how you can price match. So with all their stipulations if they choose not to match someone's that is on them, opening up the return option.

I have a question about "suit your needs" (which doesn't appear in BB's policy). What if I decide after purchasing an item that I cannot afford it, due to breaking my arm and having a giant ER bill. Is it OK to return then? What if it was $200 cheaper and I could afford it then? At what point do you draw the line?

Note all of this discussion is hypothetical. (I am not making any of these claims about myself.)

12. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    I happen to be in the reward program and have 45 days.

This made me think about the "discounts" that I got. I got 5% extra cash back for a click-through link with my credit card, plus the BB reward points. That works out to be $45 total. So we are talking about $55 here now. That plus the hassle, I won't return it. I will keep an eye open for advertised price drops as my credit card offers price protection for 90 days. (I am not sure if it only applies to the purchase place or not, but I will watch.)

13. prisk

prisk New Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Where on Tivo's site are you seeing $100 off?

14. waynomo

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    They still might price match.

15. Loach

Loach New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    Nowhere. You have to call and ask for it to get that deal (might be for existing customers only).

16. philhu

philhu User Since Day ONE!

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, MA
    I work at BBY at night

1) Return policy is now 15 days. It has been since 3/5/2013 unless you are a rewards silver member
    2) We only pricematch now at time of purchase unless it is a BestBuy price change, then you have 15 days.
    3) You return too many things and the BBY computer will stop allowing returns for 90 days.

17. waynomo

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    At least around here they have made some nice improvements. Seems to be much more customer focused. I've had some really good experiences in their the last couple of months.

It's too bad they actually they reduced the normal customer return time which was and will continue to be my number 1 complaint about Best Buy and will out weigh any other changes they make. And I don't know about now, but they also used to be totally inflexible. I had a couple of really bad experiences. I refused to even step foot in the stores for a long time.

The worst non-return experience was when Pearl Jam released their first batch on concert CDs. It was approximately 30 cds. I purchased one of each or so I thought. It was about 32 days after my purchase when I realized I had accidentally purchased two of the same show and missed another. I went into the store with my receipt and the unopened CD and the manager and corporate refused to allow me to exchange this for the one I wanted. Tell me that isn't not seeing the forest for the trees. Yeesh.

So personally I don't care what you do at Best Buy. Return for any reason you want. Take advantage of them. I don't think they state you can't return it if you find it for a lower price.

18. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Just suck it up and keep the box. Your fraudulent returns just raise the prices and reduce the return abilities for everyone else.

19. waynomo

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    First of all he did say he was going to keep it.
    Secondly how in the world would it be fraudulent to return it?

20. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I would have so told them "You see on this receipt where I bought 30 cds from you guys? Take a real good look, 'cause you'll never see another sale to me ever again."