1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restart HR250 to solve short recordings?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by johncoyne, Dec 2, 2006.

1. johncoyne

johncoyne registered user

Jul 15, 2003
    New York
    Re: Short recordings continue.....I just got off the phone with a D*TV CS rep from the technical dept. who said the only way to solve the programming glitch in the 6.3 is to reboot my system, which means loosing everything I have recorded and wipe my harddrive clean. Has anyone else been told this...and more importantly, will it actually work? This sounds like a last,desperate, choice to solve this ever annoying problem of seeing short recordings from TIVO. She also said this is a TIVO propbem, and not a D*TV problem. I told her I wasn't getting the programing that I was paying for and said D*TV would be forcing me to change providers (to cable). She said D*TV would save me $5 a month for 6 months to offset my disgust...I said "go ahead, but I am still a very, very, unhappy customer and want a supervisor to call me". She also hinted that a fix may be in the works, but did not have a timetable. Run around...run around....I am dizzy and disgusted. Thoughts???
    John, NY :mad:

2. Craigbob

Craigbob Active Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    I spoke to D* today about the shortened recordings, and audio dropouts and was told the same thing. They also suggested that I turn off Dolby Digital to avoid the Audio dropouts.

I told them that that was like cutting off an arm because it itches. I spoke to retention to see what they would do for me for their failure. They are giving me the new HR20/dish and install for free.

Hopefully that will be okay. I'll keep the hd-tivo and put it in the other room.

3. johncoyne

Jul 15, 2003
    New York
    I was told BY CS to contact TIVO since this was a software problem that D*TV didn't cause. I will be contacting TIVO. Still...will the re-start solve the problem?
    John, NY

4. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    I'm not sure how that could help. Audio on OTA channels is AC-3 format, which is the same as DD. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the only thing "turning off" DD on the HR10 accomplishes is it defaults the downmixing to 2.0. Regardless, the same DD audio stream is always recorded by default. If you were actually turning off the recording of the AC-3 stream, there would be no other audio available, as 2.0 audio is typically downmixed from 5.1 when available, and passed through as DD 2.0 when 2.0 is the source.

Others who have followed this advice report no improvement. I have had DD "off" for weeks, and I still get the dropouts on occasion.

5. johncoyne

Jul 15, 2003
    New York
    I tried calling TIVO today and was put onto a "level 2 " tech...however, it being Sunday, I was on hold for almost 20 minutes before I gave up and will try again tomorrow. For the time being I'm backing up (double recoding) my favorites on my other non-HD Direct TV Tivo so as not to miss anything in case there is another glitch (Like missing Gray's Anatomy last week and part of Heroes!) This suxs.
    John, NY :mad:

6. jksellman

jksellman New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    I was having the cut off recording problems and a clear/restart (which took 12 hours!!!) seems to have cured the problem. I dis the clear/delete last august.

7. jwwz

jwwz New Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Hi All: A vast majority of my recordings are missing the last minute or so. I see this problem was last discussed in 2005/6. Do I really have to erase my HD to fix this? I do not use D-TV either. I started adding an extra minute to my favorite show's but this is crazy, I cannot add a minute to everything.

This is very frustrating.

Your Help is Valued

jwwz:(

8. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    What do you mean by "I do not use D-TV either"? Are you somehow recording from an antenna with no DirecTV service? (And thus no guide data...)

I am skeptical that the advice to do a Clear and Delete Everything is a real solution - I think it is more a way to get the customer to go away for a while. Which software version are you using?