1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing HDVR2 With Brand New R10 - Activation Questions

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by ralfsmouse, Dec 25, 2016.

1. ralfsmouse

ralfsmouse New Member

Nov 12, 2010
    It seems as if my HDVR2 (which I've had since 2003) has finally hit the end of it's lifespan and succumbed to a dead tuner. I managed to find a great deal on a brand new (sealed box) DirecTV R10, but I have a few concerns about activating it with DirecTV:

1. Since the R10 was (I think) the first of the DirecTivos to use RIDs, I assume this means I can't just swap the access cards before Guided Setup like I could for older DirecTivos like the HDVR2. Would DirecTV CSRs still be knowledgeable enough with the R10 to activate its service without too much issue?

2. Even though this R10 was sold as brand new (and was in fact sealed in all of its packaging), it actually has some promotional material from WeaKnees in the box, so I think it was a refurbished unit in their stock at some point. One of the included papers had a brand new access card taped to it with a rather ominous message saying that THAT access card had to be activated by calling DirecTV at a certain number. Should I follow those instructions or just call DirecTV and frame the story as transferring DVR service from the HDVR2 to the R10?

3. I'm out of luck as far as getting 6.4a from the satellite stream, aren't I? I have another R10 in my house running 6.4a; should I just clone that drive to a new one using MFStools?

2. ralfsmouse

ralfsmouse New Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Well, I set up the R10 today and called DirecTV.

•DirecTV no longer activates SD DirecTivos normally, and since the R10 and the access card that it had come with had never been used, the CSR couldn't work out any way to activate it.

•My HDVR2 won't even power up now. The fan and hard drive spin up, but the power light doesn't even come on. I was pretty certain that it was just the tuner going bad, but maybe it was the power supply.

Either way, I am now Tivoless, and DirecTV is sending out a replacement (non-Tivo) DVR.

3. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Awful when times and technology change as quickly as they do today. What is State of the Art could be abandoned 5 years from. It's like in that old book Future Shock. Nope, stuff we get won't be all that useful for 10 years like the old days. Companies won't support them and move on to the new stuff, and create a situation where you have to upgrade to the new stuff.

Is there any reason you did not opt for the THR22? That is DirecTV's HD TiVo box. I think you can still request one or you could buy one at WeeKnees. Call DirecTV if you would like the THR22.