1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing HD. Tivo Software?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by sdsvtdriver, Aug 30, 2013.

1. sdsvtdriver

sdsvtdriver Member

Mar 5, 2008
    I have a parts machine that looks like it may be resurrected. It currently has a bad HD. The unit boots to a green screen and reboots about 10 min later... to the same green screen. I will attempt to WinMFS the software from the bad drive to a new drive, but if it is too far gone, can I use WinMFS to copy a hard drive from a working S3? They're both thermometer 250B's.

2. Worf

Worf Active Member

Sep 15, 2000
    As long as they're the same model (go by the first three digits of the service ID - this identifies the model), that'll work just fine.

You'll need to do a Clear & Delete Everything on the one you're resurrecting in order to get it reset.

3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    Plus repeat guided setup and re-pair your CableCARDs, if using them.

4. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you're not completely baffled by a Linux command line, you could try booting with the MFS Live cd v1.4 and using

dd_rescue

to copy the "bad" drive to another one if saving recordings is a consideration.

If not, don't bother trying to copy the bad one (but be sure it's bad and that the problem isn't caused by something else, like the notorious power supply), just copy from the other drive or restore from a truncated image, and save yourself the time.

5. sdsvtdriver

sdsvtdriver Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Gotcha. thanks for the replies. I have a truncated image I can use. That'll be the easiest. There's nothing on the parts S3 recording wise that I want.