1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing failed hard drive in a Hughes SD-DVR40

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by atperci, Mar 16, 2017.

1. atperci

atperci New Member

Mar 16, 2017
    Hi All,
    I tried doing a search and haven't found the right combination of terms to get the correct info. I have found lots of info from people who have either a semi-working original disk or knew to make a back-up copy before their drive failed, that they can get the Tivo OS image from. However, I am not one of those people.

The Hughes SD-DVR40 we have is stuck on the Welcome screen and the hard drive makes a clicking sound for about a minute then ceases. I have made it as far as to make boot disk with MFSTools and it confirms the disk is unreadable.

What is my next step? I'm being cheap and trying to reuse an old Western Digital drive I have laying around and have realized that I need an OS image in order to copy to the new disk, but where can I find that? I did post a request on the "Need an image? Don't PM me!" thread, but wanted to make sure I'm going about this whole thing the right way.

As a last, last, last resort I realize I might have to splurge and buy an imaged drive from Weaknees, but I'm trying to avoid that. However, my wife is getting depressed because she's missing all of her Young and Restless episodes. So, I might have to break down and go that route sooner than later!

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I do not think there is an image for that model floating around this forum.

3. dwellar

dwellar New Member

Apr 9, 2006
    I think any series 2 image will work. It doesn't need to be a hughes specific image. Did you try the dealdatabase.com site?

4. atperci

atperci New Member

Mar 16, 2017
    dwellar - Thanks for the link. Only problem is I guess I have no idea what exactly I'm looking for. I searched the thread but didn't have any luck. Any of the links for the files have long since gone cold. Any other ideas? Thanks for the help.

5. atperci

atperci New Member

Mar 16, 2017
    Anybody have any other words of wisdom?