1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement XL4 -> Refurbished Elite

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by terryshelton, May 8, 2013.

1. terryshelton

terryshelton New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Bought a new XL4 in January. Mid March started having major pixellation on numerous HD channels, some with total signal loss. It was intermittent and would effect different channels at different times, although there was a core of channels (707,709, 710) that were always unwatchable.

Comcast (San Francisco) was out four times. Signal always tested OK. They replaced the cable from their terminal on roof to equipment, replaced the cable card. Finally connected cable that went to XL4 to old Series 3 in bedroom and the Series 3 had pixellation. Reversed connections and connected cable from bedroom Series 3 to XL4 in bedroom and it was fine. That seemed to eliminate the cable as the source of the problem. Must say that Comcast was very aggressive in trying to find the problem.

Called Tivo and they sent replacement. Arrived today and to my surprise it was a refurbished Elite. I know the Elites became the XL4 about April, 2012.

So basically I have a refurbished Tivo that is at least 1+ year old. Who knows how long it's been sitting around or why it's been sitting around so long. I actually thought I was going to get another XL4. I didn't realize they would replace with an old refurbished unit.

My question is should I be concerned? Is this normal? I will be setting up tomorrow. I sure hope it works because I don't want to go through the replacement process again.

Thanks for reading...I know I went on a bit long.

2. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Refurbs as replacements are SOP, there's nothing to worry about IMO

3. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    ...except that he's now got an older unit. It may be refurbished, but it's still older than the one that was replaced. It may also be SOP, but that doesn't mean we have to like it. :mad: It was under warranty, and, in my opinion, TiVo should replace it with a brand new unit.

4. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    The problem is that isn't the way it works, I can't think of that being the approach any company I've worked with has resolved it in decades.

The refurb while possibly older in age would most likely have almost no use on it other than the burn in, so if the runtime on an XL4 refurb or an Elite is both under an hour, how is that an issue? IMO it's not.

New unit replacements just don't happen, and while there are some folks like yourself that seem to insist on it, that doesn't change that manufacturers don't do it that way. I'd rather have a tested burned in refurb than something new that might die in a week.

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I'll take a refurb replacement over new unit since a refurb has typically had thorough testing done to it to make sure it works properly.

But ultimately, as long as it works properly(and is in excellent condition), I could not care less what I get as a replacement under warranty.

6. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    I guess we'll agree to disagree, then. I've never seen "proof" that a company tests its refurbs. Sure, they say that, but in reality? Meh...

Give me a new unit -- that's what I PAID FOR.

7. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    There have been many reports of quick refurb failures here (and DOAs), so I seriously doubt that Tivo (or the company they're using) is doing anything more than powering up a box before shipping it out again.

8. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I have no way of knowing what TiVo does when they refurbish a unit but my only experience with a refurbish unit was with my Series 3 and it was not good. It took returning 3 units before I got a 4th unit that worked out of the box. But the unit I finally did get has been good since then. If anyone would like to be amused you can read my post about the whole process.