1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement Hard Drives - Options

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by iWish, Aug 10, 2012.

1. iWish

iWish New Member

May 15, 2005
    Premier Hard Drive seems to have died. Stuck at start up screen and S.M.A.R.T. testing incates "Fail 7" for both short test and extended test. Since I have lifetime want to replace the hard drive.

I don't want to format a replacement drive myself as it seems a little technical so was looking at amazon and ebay for already formated drives.

Noticed that there are some Premier XL units available near or even below what a formated replacement drive costs.

Is there any reason why I can't buy the XL and just take drive and put it in my unit with lifetime????

I figure this way I get other replacement parts and a working XL assuming I can't get my current unit to work.

Thoughts and feedback much appreciated!!!!

2. 9300170

9300170 Member

Feb 20, 2003
    Tempe, AZ
    Why not just buy one from weaknees?

3. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    I'm wondering now is that actually an XL because I think the XL has the "XL" letters on the front of it. Might be listed wrong.

4. iWish

iWish New Member

May 15, 2005
    Weakness prices are high compared to some Amazon and EBay sellers.

Good point on the XL. Will double check if I go with that seller.

5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    Look at DVR_Dude on ebay. Good reputation based on posts here.

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Premiere (TCD 746xxx) and Premiere XL (TCD748000) are slightly different models with different Tivo software on the drive, so you cannot move a XL drive to a regular Premiere. Another difference is the TCD748 has THX while TCD746 does not.

7. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    No, the XL drive won't work in the regular Premiere. What you could do is buy a used Premeire and stick that drive in yours. I picked up a new Premiere off of eBay for $51/shipped just for spare parts. The technical part of imaging a drive is not that tough except that Premiere drives can only be copied (not a stand alone image like older Tivos). The JMFS software is free and the copying can be done using a pair of inexpensive USB to SATA cables.

8. iWish

iWish New Member

May 15, 2005
    UPDATE: Picked up a refurbished TiVo for $50. Both units are 746 series but replacement drive isn't working in my unit with lifetime. I get the start up screen but then either a striped grey and white screen or Dark grey screen. Any ideas. Thanks!!!!

9. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach New Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    Try putting the hard drive back into the refurb TiVo and see if it boots. Maybe the drive is bad.

10. iWish

iWish New Member

May 15, 2005
    Refurbished Tivo and hard drive successfully gets through start up screen so doesn't appear to be bad replacement drive.

11. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach New Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    Maybe there is something wrong with the original TiVo. I know it failed the disk tests, but does the original drive happen to boot up if put in the new TiVo?

12. iWish

iWish New Member

May 15, 2005
    Good news. I did get the new drive working in the unit with lifetime. Not sure why it wouldn't work the first few times. I did put it back in the refurbished tivo and updated the software and then reinstalled in the lifetimed tivo. At first, I got a error 51, but after a reboot it seems to be fine. Crossing my fingers it will just work for a few more years.