1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replaced HDXL w/ Premiere, can I repurpose the HDXL HDD?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by the-sloth, May 21, 2012.

1. the-sloth

the-sloth love live tivo!

Nov 5, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    If I make a backup of the disk in my new Premiere can I then restore that to the HDD in my HD XL and use it in my Premiere? I haven't opened the Premiere up yet but I just wanted to ensure all the drive specs were the same before doing anything.

2. KelleyCook

KelleyCook New Member

Jul 10, 2002
    I suppose you technically could ... but why would you?

Go ebay the THX HD XL. Actually when you call to cancel service, they might even offer you a $100 lifetime, that which will bump the resale value by more than $100.

Then buy a new 1, 1.5 or 2TB hard drive.

Follow the upgrade instructions elsewhere (noting the part about voiding your warranty).

3. the-sloth

the-sloth love live tivo!

Nov 5, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    hrmmm... very good point. i forgot how much of a premium lifetime devices pull on the secondary market. that's a no brainer. thanks for keeping me in check. :)

for most electronics i would rather keep the warranty but I got this premiere from woot for $54 shipped so i'm more inclined to open it up and upgrade the drive.

from the research i did it looks like winmfs still hasn't been updated and everyone is using jmfs to do premiere upgrades, is that accurate?