1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replace Lifetime HD with Mini - any downside?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by aine, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Jul 1, 2013 #1 of 25
    aine

aine New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    I have a new TiVo Premiere 4 in the family room, and an older (lifetime) TiVo HD 160GB in the bedroom.

I have Time Warner, so I can't transfer most shows from the Premiere to the HD, so I end up having to maintain both TiVos.

I'm wondering whether there is any downside to replacing the TiVo HD with a new TiVo Mini. If I could sell the Lifetimed TiVo HD for $200 (reasonable?) and stop paying for the CableCARD, I would more or less break even getting a Lifetimed TiVo Mini for $249.

Advantages:
    - smaller footprint, less power
    - one TiVo to "maintain"
    - no Tuning Adapter
    - no more $3/month CableCARD fee

I never had a Mini, so I don't know the details. But it seems like there are no disadvantages, are there?

2. Jul 1, 2013 #2 of 25
    sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    <Pros>
    Your advantages plus...
    - Improved performance of the Mini UI
    - Consistent experience with the HDUI

<Cons>
    - No Netflix or Amazon Instant on the Mini
    - Live TV switching is slower than on the TiVo HD
    - Less tuners available for the DVR. You would be down to 3 tuners for recordings until such time as TiVo releases Dynamic Tuner Allocation

It will be an easier upgrade decision once TiVo releases some promised software upgrades...

3. Jul 1, 2013 #3 of 25
    lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Also you must use Moca; it is built in on the TP-4 and the Mini, you do need to connect the router to the Moca system from the TP-4 built in RJ45 or get a Moca converter about $40 from TiVo. You could also use the RJ45 jack in both locations if available.

4. Jul 2, 2013 #4 of 25
    Rose4uKY

Rose4uKY Member

Mar 28, 2003
    Kentucky
    I currently own 3 Tivo series 3 HD Tivo's and one has a lifetime. I too thought 200 would be reasonable for the lifetime and maybe a 100 a piece for the other two. I am moving and my cable company just switched to Time Warner. We thought about getting Dish with the Hopper and Joey's cause the equipment is free and it's just a 12.99 and 6.95 fee on each Joey we would have two plus the main Hopper that has 2000 hours. Not sure how well it will work in bad weather neither. But I love my Tivo's and have always had Tivo never had my cable companies DVR ever.

But today I decide to call Tivo and ask what they had new and what all Premiere did verses what I had and I mentioned how I would like to be able to watch a show in any room without having to actually transfer and wait and he told me all about this Mocha and Tivo Mini's.

He said if I buy a premiere that right now there is a special for free Mocha and then I would need 2 Tivo Minis. He mentioned no Netflix or anything just yet but we would do that on the main Tivo Premiere on our main TV anyway. I just would like to be able to go to any room and start watching a show and pick off in another room. Came here to read reviews on this Mocha and Tivo Mini. Is it worth the upgrade? Or should I just keep what I got. I have 2 Tivo's and my boyfriend has one and were moving in together and will have 3 TV's. This is the 1st thread I saw when I went to Tivo Mini. Sounds interesting..

5. Jul 2, 2013 #5 of 25
    aine

aine New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Thanks sbiller... I had forgotten about those two "cons". Helpful to have it spelled out. I think you are right that if we eventually get a software update that adds Netflix and Dynamic Tuner Allocation, then the decision becomes pretty simple. For now I will hold off since sometimes the kids watch Netflix in the bedroom. Thanks for the info.

Les, I have ethernet in both rooms, so that's not an issue for me. But you are right it will be for some.

6. Jul 3, 2013 #6 of 25
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    You don't have to use MoCA with the Mini. You can use Ethernet as well.

7. Jul 3, 2013 #7 of 25
    lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    If you read my full post you would have seen that I said that !! you only quoted the first part. :rolleyes:

My full post

Also you must use Moca; it is built in on the TP-4 and the Mini, you do need to connect the router to the Moca system from the TP-4 built in RJ45 or get a Moca converter about $40 from TiVo. You could also use the RJ45 jack in both locations if available.

8. Jul 5, 2013 #8 of 25
    Rose4uKY

Rose4uKY Member

Mar 28, 2003
    Kentucky
    Can I ask a question? I have a series 3 Tivo now and we do Netflix and I think it might have Amazon on there somewhere but I don't know if it's instant and right now when I want to purchase an Amazon movie I have to pay for it and download it and wait before I can watch it. On the Premiere does instant mean I can just press play and start watching no downloading? Were moving and couldn't decide between Dish & The Hopper with 2 Joey's or Tivo Premiere and Mini's. Now we want to sell our Tivo's and stick with Tivo and try the Premiere XL4 and get 2 mini's.

<Cons>
    - No Netflix or Amazon Instant on the Mini
    TiVo releases Dynamic Tuner Allocation

It will be an easier upgrade decision once TiVo releases some promised software upgrades...[/QUOTE]

9. Jul 5, 2013 #9 of 25
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    But you first wrote "Also you must use Moca..". Why is that in that in there?

I think i did post though before reading the entire post.

10. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Most people don't have RJ45 in all places in their home, so for most (not all) one does have to use Moca with the Mini/TP-4 setup.

11. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Amazon Instant is a streaming-only service available to Amazon Prime customers. But as of now, no Tivos support Instant. They only support the old pay-to-download service.

Additionally, the Mini cannot stream Amazon downloads from a Tivo at this point.

12. Rose4uKY

Rose4uKY Member

Mar 28, 2003
    Kentucky
    Thanks!

13. MsUnderstood

MsUnderstood New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Clovis, CA
    I have been considering the mini to replace the lifetime series 3 in my bedroom. The additional benefit would be:

The series 3 Hard drive makes noises through the night. (is the mini silent?)
    I could access Comcast on demand (cannot with series 3).

The cons of no Netflix/amazon can be overcome with my Xbox (or a smart Blu-ray player).

Was curious about MOCA --I believer my PREMIERE would need MOCA even if I setup my Mini with Ethernet, is that right? AND does the MOCA receiver I connect next to my permiere allow multiple items (for example if I put the moca at the premiere can I also plug in a DVD player and the xbox from the same moca receiver so all can benefit from MOCA or do I need 3 MOCA receivers?).

Thanks for help.

14. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    While MOCA is not required, you do need a Premiere 4 or XL4, which has built-in MOCA. You cannot set up a mini with just a regular Premiere.

15. MsUnderstood

MsUnderstood New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Clovis, CA
    Sorry for the shorthand--I do have the premiere 4. Since MOCA is built in does this mean I do not need the MOCA receiver on the other end, I only need a MOCA router (not sure if that is the right term) that converts my DSL to moca?

16. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Assuming your Premiere 4 is connected via Ethernet to your router, you don't need anything except perhaps a point-of-entry filter on your cable. You can connect the mini to your network via either MOCA (using the P4 as a bridge between the MOCA network and the Ethernet network) or via Ethernet. If you use Ethernet, you will not require the POE filter.

17. MsUnderstood

MsUnderstood New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Clovis, CA
    My premiere 4 is wireless right now so I would need to correct that issue.

I think my setup would be as follows:
    Outside POE filter (since I'll switch to MOCA)
    Upstairs: DSL modem/router upstairs connected to MOCA network adapter.
    Upstairs: that MOCA network adapter connects to Mini
    downstairs: enable MOCA on Premiere 4 (coax cable already plugged in)
    optional: ethernet cable from premiere to xbox to bridge Moca to xbox.

If that is right, I just need to buy POE filter, MOCA adapter, and a mini.

18. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    That should work.

Is your XBox not currently connected to the network? Frankly, I have no idea if that will work.

Sounds correct.

19. MsUnderstood

MsUnderstood New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Clovis, CA
    xbox has a wireless adapter to connect. I had read somewhere you can use the premiere as a bridge to give other components MOCA connection. So xbox connection is a bonus.

Thanks for confirming the setup. My series 3 hard drive is grinding away as we speak--not only noisy but I'm thinking its a sign of deterioration and it would be same cost to replace HD as it would to configure a mini with lifetime contract.

20. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Normally, it's used to bridge between a MOCA network which doesn't have direct access to a router and and an Ethernet network which does. As I said, I have no idea if it works in the other direction but it can't hurt to try.

You should contact your cable company. They might be willing t install the POE filter at no cost.

Actually, it can be much cheaper to replace a hard drive, particularly if you do it all yourself. Does your series 3 have lifetime? What size drive does it have?